Hurricane Jose Diverts Regal Princess

kiwi sailor

I agree - where you were made a huge difference. Our cabin was deck 8 midship so we were pretty comfortable in the room (but still lots of creaks). Dinner in Allegro (rear of deck 6) was another matter as was the PES lounge which was in Vista at the rear of 7 (the night of 9/21, we gave up after a few minutes and moved forward). And in the Princess Theater, the cracks as the bow dropped into the water were very noticeable.

That all said, it was never bad enough to suspend services. Dinner that night in Allegro went on as planned including a night early (due to the late port call in NY the next night) Baked Alaska parade (even though it was Italian night but the Baked Alaska wasn't actually served until the final night).

However, I will note that on the night of 9/20, the Princess Theater performer fell and cut herself during the final number of the early show. I suspect it was related to ship movement (we were not at that performance). Trooper that she was, the late show went on as planned although with a bandage on her hand and a noticeable rip (which she even mentioned) in her dress.

And what was that final song (at least in the late show - I assume it was the same early)? My Heart Will Go On. She wore a life jacket while singing it. You just can't make this stuff up.

Edited by lstone19
Added comment

I agree - where you were made a huge difference. Our cabin was deck 8 midship so we were pretty comfortable in the room (but still lots of creaks). Dinner in Allegro (rear of deck 6) was another matter as was the PES lounge which was in Vista at the rear of 7 (the night of 9/21, we gave up after a few minutes and moved forward). And in the Princess Theater, the cracks as the bow dropped into the water were very noticeable.

That all said, it was never bad enough to suspend services. Dinner that night in Allegro went on as planned including a night early (due to the late port call in NY the next night) Baked Alaska parade (even though it was Italian night but the Baked Alaska wasn't actually served until the final night).

However, I will note that on the night of 9/20, the Princess Theater performer fell and cut herself during the final number of the early show. I suspect it was related to ship movement (we were not at that performance). Trooper that she was, the late show went on as planned although with a bandage on her hand and a noticeable rip (which she even mentioned) in her dress.

And what was that final song (at least in the late show - I assume it was the same early)? My Heart Will Go On. She wore a life jacket while singing it. You just can't make this stuff up.

What a performer! We were in the front row and she did fall, but I think it was mostly due to her putting on life jacket and pouring water on her head. She was headed back to table with glass and slipped on the water, fell on the glass and cut her hand.

She then, on her knees, finished the song with blood running down her hand. Honestly, she is awesome!!! Ultimate performer. But, I do think the water part will be out of her act from now on!!

Scouse Mouse, with your husbands experience he really knows what he is talking about.

I was on this cruise and the captain at first tried to avoid hurricane Jose but then decided to go through it to get the Regal Princess early into port for her next cruise. Our balcony room was on the 9th floor and the waves were higher than I was...not fun

waves over the 9th floor? Really? Last two nights we had some movement but seas were really only a couple of meters. I was on the Grand Princess about 10 years ago in a Hurricane out of Greenland at the storm was at the top of the Beaufort scale. This one was barely at level 5-6.

I do agree communication from the Captain could have been better.

waves over the 9th floor? Really? Last two nights we had some movement but seas were really only a couple of meters. I was on the Grand Princess about 10 years ago in a Hurricane out of Greenland at the storm was at the top of the Beaufort scale. This one was barely at level 5-6.

I think the poster who said waves over deck 9 is confusing spray height with wave height. There was certainly some high spray - that's natural when the bow comes down hard into the water.

If I understand sea states correctly, level 5 is 2.5 to 4.0 meter waves. That's about where I put it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

... I was on the Grand Princess about 10 years ago in a Hurricane out of Greenland at the storm was at the top of the Beaufort scale. This one was barely at level 5-6.

The Beaufort scale (or, more precisely, the Beaufort Wind Force scale) is not the same as the "sea state" scale that was referenced in various previous posts. Sea state 5, with typical wave heights 2.5 to 4 metres (in the open sea), is generally said to be approximately equivalent to Beaufort wind force 6. Sea state 6 encompasses Beaufort wind force 7 to 9, with typical wave heights 4 to 6 m. The frequent (and unsurprising) confusing of these two scales becomes even more problematic in occasional documents that refer to "Beaufort sea state"...

John

We were on the Regal for that TA, and although the seas were rough at times, DH and I were fine and had a great time. We had a cabin on deck 8 in the back. Also, we had late dinner at the MD every night followed by the late show. We had a great time, and the other two couples at our table had very few complaints. I must say that I was on cruises that had seas that were much rougher. For example, we were on a TA from Fort Lauderdale: Celebrity Silholette, 4-23-2017. The captain was great at telling us how he was planning to go around a storm, but the ride was very rough. And, for the first night and part of the next day, it was not a very fun time. However,we were 8 days at sea, and the rest of the cruise was fine. I was also on a Holland TA cruise that left Boston late in August that was much worse because many people got sick, and we all had a hard time standing. I have to say that thanks to Regal's captain and crew, the cruise was great. And we loved the extra time in NY, so much to see and do. Also, I am sorry for those who had plans for the ports that we missed.