RCI vs Carnival

DB019

I'm contemplating taking a cruise on RCI Mariner of the Seas. RCI consistently appears to price out higher for similar cabin accommodations vs. the larger Carnival ships.

I'd be interested in the opinions from cruisers who have experienced both of these lines and your assessment as to if the increase is justifiable and the major differences between the two.

Thanks

It is very difficult if not impossible to compare a Voyager class ship with even the largest ships of another line, because of the features which are unique to that Class of ship (Royal Promenade, three level dining room, ice skating rink and ice show, rollerblading track, rock climbing wall etc.) If none of those features are especially attractive to you, you might not want to pay the extra cost. The popularity of these ships, with their unique features, is the primary reason for their premium cost.

Otherwise, the cruise experience may be similar on most of the major market cruiselines and you might want to compare itineraries and the features that are important to you. Decor on Carnival ships is usually described as being over the top, and while the newer ships are said to be somewhat toned down, you couldn't convince me based on recent photos I have seen of Carnival Miracle. Some claim that Carnival cruises are more lively and active than RCI cruises, but again that may depend on the particular ship or the passengers on a particular cruise. We have been on an RCI ship docked in Nassau next to a Carnival ship and while our pool deck late night party was ongoing, the outside decks of the Carnival ship were deserted. (To be fair, this could mean that their wild party was taking place in one of the ship's lounges). Try RCI and you might find you like it as much or more than Carnival. Good luck.

Two carnival and 2RCI and I will be cruising carnival for my next one. We tried RCI once for the kids club for my 10 YO daughter. At our dinner table on RCI there was NO ONE UNDER 70. NO lie. We thought that was just a fluke but it happened again on a 4 night cruise we got as a gift. We are more active and just found the RCI cruises to be a little to sedate for us. While I have to give supreme nods to RCI for the beauty of the ships, I still love the atmosphere on CArnival. It seems FUNer. RCI had nice food but at 3AM we just couldn't eat one more time a Jonny ROckets and we missed the 24 hour pizza and Deli on carnival.

The sheer size of the newest RCI ships was daunting. JUST TOO BIG and the ice show was overcrowded and even though we had tickets we didn't get in. Bummer. The shops on RCI are definately nicer but there are better bartenders on Carnival. We just went on RCI in the summer (the Gift cruise) and have re-booked with carnival for February.

I think its a matter of choice. I Say try BOTH!! Happy cruising!!

Elizabeth

Two carnival and 2RCI and I will be cruising carnival for my next one. We tried RCI once for the kids club for my 10 YO daughter. At our dinner table on RCI there was NO ONE UNDER 70. NO lie. We thought that was just a fluke but it happened again on a 4 night cruise we got as a gift. We are more active and just found the RCI cruises to be a little to sedate for us.

Ok, this begs the question. Which ships were you on? Sedate is definitely not a word I would use to describe an RCI cruise.....:confused:

I enjoy sailing different ships and different lines. I love new experiences. We've sailed several Carnival and Royal Caribbean cruises and enjoyed most of them. We didn't enjoy our RCCL cruise on Legend of the Seas in March from Hawaii to Ensenada because of our waiter, food, and lack of customer service from Purser's Desk.

Last December we loved sailing the Norwegian Dawn from NY to the Southern Caribbean. That has been my favorite cruise of all. The Dawn has a very tropical happy color theme throughout. I love the variety of having ten different restaurants: French, Italian, Mexican, Steak House, American, Chinese/Fast Food, Japanese, Poolside BBQ--just so many choices.

Our recent October cruise on RCCL Jewel of the Seas was hard to beat--just hated the smoke problems associated with passing thru the Schooner Bar to get to the Safari Lounge and Chops & Portofinos (Easy problem to resolve by making Schooner a nonsmoking bar--doubt that will ever happen.) I've noticed RCCL ships tend to bother me alot with their smoking areas. RCCL just doesn't seem to take asthma problems seriously because all their ships tend to have similar problems for me.

We are taking the Carnival Triumph in February and can't wait. I like to see different entertainment and interior designs. Our Carnival cruises have definetely been alot of fun--especially the kareoke and pizza.

We are already planning a Fall cruise to Bermuda on RCCL Explorer out of NY. I am very excited about cruising on such a large ship. We booked a Promenade cabin for something different. I haven't even told my DH about my interest in booking the Norwegian Dawn again for January 2007. He can't deal with booking more than one cruise at a time.

I do prefer newer ships on week or longer cruises. However, I also have had a great time on Mon-Fri cruises on RCCL Majesty of the Seas and Carnival's Fascination and Ectasy. Miami cruises seem to be fun no matter what cruiseline you are sailing--younger crowd and festive moods. I did notice that our RCCL cruise out of LA to the Mexican Riviera was an older crowd--probably because it was early February. I've also heard that Alaska cruises tend to be older crowds. I am guessing that younger crowds are attracted to tropical ports.

Ok, this begs the question. Which ships were you on? Sedate is definitely not a word I would use to describe an RCI cruise.....:confused:
I was about to ask the same thing> I can't beleive anyone would find RCI sedate or filled with retired people. Normally all cruise lines try to group people at the tables together in age groups. I guess these things do happen.NMnita

Our recent October cruise on RCCL Jewel of the Seas was hard to beat--just hated the smoke problems associated with passing thru the Schooner Bar to get to the Safari Lounge and Chops & Portofinos (Easy problem to resolve by making Schooner a nonsmoking bar--doubt that will ever happen.) I've noticed RCCL ships tend to bother me alot with their smoking areas. RCCL just doesn't seem to take asthma problems seriously because all their ships tend to have similar problems for me.

If you detest smoking on a cruise ship (as I do) how can you even consider Carnival. I took the Fascination out of Fla on a 3 nighter as part of a package tour that was real cheap and I never saw as much smoking on any ship as I did on that (and lots of it was in no-smoking areas such as the performance lounges and the pool itself.:eek: The only other Carnival ship we have been on was the Carnival Legend out of NY on a 2 nighter and while not as bad as the Fascination it was still pretty bad. I can avoid the bars where people are smoking but what to do when they are all lighting up in no-smoking areas.:(

The best description of a Carnival cruise is crowded, noisy and smoky (not my words, another poster here). I can't see it being any better on a 7 nighter. JMHO.

I was on the Carnival Jubilee in 2002 and on the Explorer of the Seas (sister of the Mariner) in July of this year and although it is hard to compare the two ships and cruises, I would go again with RCI in a heartbeat. They seem to be most classy and elegant than Carnival. I really liked a Carnival cruise, but if you are looking for some fun activities or have kids that do, the Mariner is perfect. There is no other vacation that I would rather go on than a cruise on a Voyager Class ship and I'm only 16! If you have any questions about Explorer or RCI just e-mail me at djan07@hotmail.com. Hope you make a good choice!

Derek

I too have been on both and would prefer RCCL anytime to Carnival, reasons being people pouring beer into the Jaccuzzi, people vomiting by the pool and people peeing in the hallway because they were too drunk to get to their room. Now this was an older Carnival ship but I have to admit Iwas still appalled and amazed at how some people act when it isn't their home. Of course, who knows what their home is like.

As for the smoking on RCCL my husband suffers from a severe allegy to smoke, he breaks in hives, becomes very ill. I have discovered if someone is smoking in the non-smoking areas, you ask one of the ships personnel and they will insist that that person moves to the smoking side or puts it out. Unfortunately some of the folks get pretty irrate that they are not allowed to smoke where and when they want but the ships personel will tell them to follow the rules. No exceptions. It would not hurt my feelings if they didn't allow smoking at all.

In answer to your question about Carnival vs RCCL. Hands down, I would do RCCL any time, I have done 9 RCCL cruises, 1 Carnival and 1 NCL.

I have been on 4 Royal Caribbean cruises and I am not planning on going on anything but RCI for quite a while. I tried Carnival once and it was horrible, Im sure they must be a good cruise line considering how large they are butt Royal Caribbean is just one step more upscale, and thats a good level to be at. I really recoment Mariner and Navigator of the Seas.

Sovereign of the Seas 7/00

Imagination 7/03

Voyager of the Seas 5/04

Navigator of the Seas 4/05

Mariner of the Seas 7/05

200604021100_13.gif

Caribbean Vacations, Forums & Hotel Reviews

We've been on several Carnival cruises and 2 RCCL cruises. While we really liked the Mariner of the Seas, we thought the Explorer of the Seas was dirty and unkempt. That was when it was about 1 year old. Our favorite ship is by far the Carnival Pride. The decor is dark woods and furniture looking like it was out of the 1920's. The entertainment has always been first rate on Carnival. However, I give an edge to the food on RCCL. There is nothing like the atrium on the Voyager class ships (Explorer of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas). I guess I'm easy to impress, as we haven't found a cruise line that we didn't enjoy.

We too have done both. IMHO, I prefer RCI Over Carnival hands down. To me the ships are a lot more refined, the passengers seem more respectful. And the activites are outstanding.

Dont get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed both my cruises on Carnival, and would consider cruising with them again. But for the money, and the difference in style, service, amenities, and the Crown and Anchor benefits of being a past guest on RCI, vs. NOTHING for Carnival...I choose RCI!

It's funny how people's experiences are different. I thought it was very ironic that, after seeing all of the complaints about drunks on Carnival, my first experience with a bunch of underdressed drunks should be on RCCL. Just goes to show you I guess..... Luckily I would never allow that one experience to define a cruise line for me.

Having cruised both lines I found the food on RCCL to be slightly better than Carnival. The service in the buffet seemed to be slightly better as well. The service in the dining room was mixed. Our waiter was not as good as our waiters on Carnival have been, the assistant waiter was on par. I do have to say that this was the first time that I actually knew what the head waiter looked like and he was very solicitous every night. Now I know why he should be tipped. LOL!!

As to quality of the staterooms, size goes to Carnival but bed comfort goes to RCCL. Stateroom service is very good on both. Room Service was better and faster on RCCL I thought. Also the selection of TV channels in the room was better IMO.

I would definitely sail RCCL again to see how their 7 night cruise is.

Archived