Mediterranea on 12/18

Pigsty333

Our family and friends (9 of us) are sailing at this time. Being that it is so close to the holidays, is the ship decorated or not?

For some of us it will be the first time and for others we have cruised before. The family is excited and we are looking forward to a few days away from the hectic holiday shopping.

Has anyone been on it recently? Any feedback.

Thanks

The ship did a great job for our Thanksgiving dinner on the 11/20 cruise so I am sure they will do something special for Christmas dinner but I don't know if they will decorate for Christmas.

So maybe we can meet for drinks and say hello. I am traveling with my husband, his 73 yr. old aunt, my 25 yr. (daughter), 15 yr. (daughter), 13 yr. old (son), my daughter's friend (16 yr. girl), and a couple friend of us (in their late 40's and 50's) so we won't be hard to miss.

Hope we have a great time.

We will also be on this cruise - its our first (we're 30 and 23 respectively). Hope to meet you all aboard!

A few questions, in the event that anyone reading that has cruised on this ship before:

- My girlfriend is a poor graduate student and, as such, doesn't own a whole lot of fancy clothes. She's very concerned about whether there will be a formal night and whether she'll need a dress (actually, so am I, as I don't own a 'dark suit' or a tuxedo as specified on Costa's Website.) Does anyone know if there's a formal night on this cruise, and if so, what we can expect the dress code to be?

- I noticed on Costa's Website you could order 'special gift packages', however, the two I was most interested in (the wine package and the bottles of mineral water) don't seem to offer delivery to the cabin. The only 'place' option says something like, 'In main dining room'. Does anyone know what this means? Would we really have to drink the water during meals?! and in a related question, does anyone know how hard it is to find decent drinking water and how much it costs?

- Does anyone want to share any recommendations regarding the excursions? I noticed the ones in Progreso are mostly very long, and the ones in Nassau are all very short, despite the fact we're in port for almost the same amount of time at each place. Right now we're leaning towards Uxmal at Progreso and 'Discover Atlantis' at Nassau, but we may end up doing neither. I've read quite a lot online that people don't take the ship sponsored tours and choose to book their own.

Many thanks for any wisdom ye seasoned travelers can lend!

I am sure that there wil be at least 1 formal night on this cruise, you could call 1800 go costa and ask. As for the special pacakges they will deliver your tickets on the first night in the restaurant you can then use the ticlets to get your wine/water whenever you want. Not sure about using them for room service though. Give Costa a call and I am sure they will clarify any concerns you have.

Justin

There are two formal nights on a Mediterranea's 7 day cruise. However formal is a loose term. We were on the Thanksgiving cruise this year and you could see everything from Tuxes to jeans. Tell your fiancee a nice top and black pants go a long way. No one will notice or care if you wear them two nights. You also could just skip the dining room those nights and eat at the buffet. The best is the toga night on the last night, pretty funny!

The wine package was very good, and there was more than enough water. They give you a sheet of coupons you can use in the dining room or other places on the ship. We only used them in the dining room. Get the water from bars, they have bigger bottles, which you can use in the cabin....or for shore excursions. Water in the dining room was fine, no need for bottled water and drinking water was available on deck 9 at the buffet stations any time, you may have to go to a couple to find what you want, but ice tea, juices, milk, coffee and tea were always available somewhere.

Were were on the Key West, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamacia itinerary. But having been to Nassau a few times before, things are all pretty close on the island, that is probably why the times are shorter. In Progresso most of the things to see are a bit of a drive to get to.

Hope this helps!icon14.gif

Justin, this is what I am doing. If you need their information, I can give it to you if you are interested in doing something like this or a little bit different.

I am always on the lookout for a great tour - different and not as rushed as the ships do.

I contacted an acquaintance in Merida (Mexico) and she put me in touch with a friend and his company. This is what they are doing for us for $79 pp - beats some of the other prices. Lunch is extra - which is no big deal because we like to experiment.

• Pick up at the dock, then transfer to Dzibilchaltun, guided tour of the site
  • City tour of the city of Merida visiting the Zocalo the Cathedral and the Paint Room at the Governors Palace
  • Visit the Cementery and then lunch at the Hacienda Teya for Yucatacan Cuisine
  • Transfer back to the pier

Tour Price $79.00 usd per person

Includes:

• Private Transportation with a Guide
  • Entrance fees to Dzibilchaltun
  • City Tour

We have our own private guide and it is more slow paced than getting on a bus, box lunch, etc. We are doing this on the 20th of December, so I will let you guys know how it goes.

Our family and friends (9 of us) are sailing at this time. Being that it is so close to the holidays, is the ship decorated or not?

For some of us it will be the first time and for others we have cruised before. The family is excited and we are looking forward to a few days away from the hectic holiday shopping.

Has anyone been on it recently? Any feedback.

Thanks

i was surprised the ship was not decorated last week.. i'm sure it will be done soon

For you 12/18 cruisers -- I noticed on my cruise documents that embarkation begins at 130p. Since the ship disembarks at 7p, I figured we'd be down there will plenty of time (our flight arrives at Ft Lauderdale at 130p.)

Does anyone know what time we're 'supposed' to be at the port? Is 130p when preferred (suite) boarding begins? What about general boarding?

Costa sure is uninformative about this stuff.

For you 12/18 cruisers -- I noticed on my cruise documents that embarkation begins at 130p. Since the ship disembarks at 7p, I figured we'd be down there will plenty of time (our flight arrives at Ft Lauderdale at 130p.)

Does anyone know what time we're 'supposed' to be at the port? Is 130p when preferred (suite) boarding begins? What about general boarding?

Costa sure is uninformative about this stuff.

we arrived at 12:30 and boarding had already started.. we checked in and walked right on board.. all cabins including suites were already boarding.. I think if the ship is ready they start boarding at 11:30.. don't forget lunch is available so don't have lunch before you board..there is no set time to be at port except a half hour prior to sailing (you wouldn't want to be waiving from the dock)

Did your ship leave at 700p as well, Host Star?

ps - Nice to see another Vermonter on here ;-)

we were due to leave at 5 p.m. however left a little late as there were a lot of ships ahead of us (something like being in an airplane holding pattern.. lol)I'm sure when you arrive from the airport boarding will have started.. and no matter what time you leave at night they will have a bufet lunch available when you board till at least 4 p.m.

Archived