Help save my dive!

Tedder

Have a dive scheduled in six days and I'm feeling a cold coming on. I know nothing can cure it in time but is there a prescription or over the counter medication to open the sinuses so I can equalize?

Ok, first off........Don't get stressed over it... Eat healthy, take your vitamins and get plenty of sleep.... And before you get on the plane (if you are) or on the ship, take airborne....I swear by that stuff...... Then I always take

Claritin-D for 2 days before I dive......I'm very prone to allergies so I do it to prevent congestion.....It's non drowsy, non presciption......

Good luck to you......

Yes Sudafed can help. I too have used Sudafed and a nasal spray for every dive for too long...it really isn't a good habit from a pure health standpoint.

You can open things up a bit with this stuff if your symptoms aren't too bad. But if you are really plugged don't do it. Nix the dive. I once pushed things and felt like I'd beat the odds when I got down. Then I ended up with a reverse block when it was time to surface. That was not fun. Ear has been more sensative to pressure ever since and I've backed off because of it. Still dive, but canx faster then I used to.

Everyone in my building at work is sick, and I've been hiding in my office for the past week so I don't foul up my dives in CocoCay and Nassau next week.

My boss got me to try the herb Echinacea this summer (suspension in alcohol). Squirt it under your tongue twice a day. It's available at 'greenie' stores and drug stores in the vitamin section for about $7. I don't know if the herb actually works, or if the alcohol burns out the germs. So far, I've tried it twice, and anything that tastes that bad has to be good for you. There might be interactions if you are taking medications, so you might want to check that out first.

Whatever you do, don't get the Echinacea and Goldenseal combination capsules. Goldenseal is, well, EXTREMELY motivating.

I also use Zicam nose gel for a little extra insurance. It's kind of icky, but it does make a dry nose feel better. Just don't sniff afterwards.

Of course, lots of orange juice and Vitamin C don't hurt.

My dive kit always has either Sudafed or Contac in it right next to the C-cards and DAN cards. If I don't take something, dive 2 can be quite painful.

Good luck & don't forget to post when you get back!

Wendy

Just to add my 2 cents worth. I agree to Capt_BJ if you choose to use a nasal decongestant be careful of your timing. Having it wear off at depth and developing a reverse squeeze is really painful and you run the risk of not having available air or bottom time to work it out slowly enough.

One other note, Contac, Claritin and the like are antihistamines Sudafed is sudoephedrine, a decongestant. Make sure you're using the right med for the actual symptom. Also sudoephedrine can impart many of the symptoms of anxiety - rapid heart rate, dry mouth, etc. If you have any tendency to feel anxious about your dives Sudafed can make it worse.

Kent

PADI OWSI

NM Eman is correct... Sudafed can increase the heart rate on some people.. I'm usually sensitive and it doesn't do that for me... But you should ask your Dr. Also, Claritin D contains loratadine-an antihistamine and sudafed-a decongestant.... But check with your Dr.....

I think I'm in the minority of those providing replies but I concur with the above poster who recommends that if you are in the midst of a cold on dive day you should scrap it. It is too risky and I know people personally who have had problems develop from trying it because of equalization and other problems.

I would say the better focus is to help heal the cold before dive-day I always enjoy the chicken soup. My personal recommendation is to take a mix of vitamin c, zinc, echinachea, and bioflavinoids (sp?). When I feel a cold coming on and it seems to be effective.

Hope you feel better and have a fun dive if it works out! swymnwymn

Keith woke up with a cold yesterday morning, and both of us are now doing the Echinacea/Zicam/OJ thing.

So far, so good...he's a little better and I don't have it. Yet.

Drat. I'll be packing more Sudafed, Contac and Alka-Seltzer Plus this afternoon.

I know what you mean about that reverse squeeze. I managed to get one ear squeezed and one reversed on a line about 30 feet down in a spring. Talk about damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Hope y(our) cold goes away in time!

Wendy

I'll ditto the Sudafed. take it according to instructions for a few days prior and you probably won't need to equalize at all.

BUT! If you do have a cold and congestion, for gosh sakes DON"T DIVE! The consequences can be deadly!

The cruise line will refund the cost of the shore excursion if you cancel far enough ahead.

Good Luck!

Divin Dave

I started taking the echinacea with golden seal last month after a co-worker told me about it. It worked like a charm. What do you mean that it is motivating? :confused: Anyhow it whooped my cold. I tell everyone about it now.

If you are sick simply DONT DIVE. If it is allergies get them under control before had so that you are adjusted to your meds. (If the guy who certified you didn't teach you this go demand your fees back!)

Ya know....I told my students this all the time. Just doesn't seem to sink in.

The deadly part is if you have congestion in your chest which can lead to an over expansion injury on assent....possible pulmonary embolism = dead

Kent

PADI OWSI

Yes, listen to your dive instructors... That's what they are there for.... As much as I've given advice on what works for me and usually does, it didn't this last weekend.... I had allergies, just sneezing... that on Saturday turned into a congested head, ears, sneezing, etc.... As much as I wanted to dive I listened to my common sense and said, " I don't feel good & I'm trying to hard to dive".... I called and cancelled..... Would have been pretty stupid to continue.. My lungs/ears aren't worth hurting.........:D

Archived