Cabins for tall people?

sobore

I am a newbie to the cruise scene and was wondering if the cheapie cabins are suitable for folks over 6' 2".

My husband is 6'4" (I am 5'2" :p ). We recently sailed on the NCL Sun. Although we were booked in a mini-suite, I really feel that any cabin would be suitable for a tall person. I think your choice would depend on whether you, as an individual, tend to feel claustroprobic in smaller rooms with no windows.

All rooms have standard ceilings. If you don't have a problem at home, you will not on the ship. I am 6'1" btw.

Hi selucrey! I see that you're from Houma. Hope you didn't suffer too much damage from Katrina. We have friends in Cramer.

I know this if OFF TOPIC :p but..........

you might be interested in our slideshows. If you click the link in my signature, you'll be taken to our website: http://www.maison-t-bayou.com We have several New Orleans slideshows, and a couple from the Eunice area which show the country Cajun Mardi Gras.

• 1 month later...

I travel with 3 men - 6'2", 6'2" and the short one - 6'6" -- all are fine, even in the cheapie cabins. The length of the bed for the short one means he curls up sometime.

When we were on the Veendam @ 12/20/05-he fought me for the couch - he fit perfectly. I am 5'4" on a good day. :rolleyes: We do get 2 cabins tho - those tall guys take up other room & 4 in same cabin went out several years ago. My space challenge is more horizontal & yes, I fit in all cabins, too. :D

My husband is 6'6" and has never had a problem with any of the cabins. Now the bed is same as home they just don't come that long. Curl up and enjoy!!!! Just be prepared for a new way of life because you are going to like this.

Judy

My husband is 6'9" and we stayed last September in an inside cabin on the Carnival Conqeust. No problem at all except in the hallways where there were a some areas lower. After he excercised he opted to take showers in the fitness center, larger ones, but the cabin shower was OK too! I am 5'4" :o)

• 9 years later...

My husband is tall. He is 6 feet 5 in bare feet. His shoes add another inch. When others look at him they see a clean-shaven 74 year-old man with short, thinning, graying blonde hair, wearing wire-frame eyeglasses over his very blue eyes, a freshly pressed oxford-cloth button-down collar shirt, nicely ironed Dockers, white socks and light-colored, leather, Hush Puppies with laces. They see a hygienic, neat, trim, 6'6", 200 pound man.

We have been married for 47 years. Possibly I am so used to him that I do not find his height unusual. (At 5'8" I have always felt grateful to have a fella that makes me feel petite -- something unfamiliar to women of my height.) It seems that much of the world's population does not feel this way about a person of 6'6".

On our recent Oceania cruise to the Baltic Sea/Nordic Areas, my husband's height seemed to be a source of wonder to many of the other passengers. Feeling perfectly free to express their amazement at seeing someone of his height, shipmates continued to tell him he was tall, question just how tall he might be, and ask him about his former basketball playing expertise — over and over again during the entire 2-weeks we cruised with them. "You...are...tall!" "How tall are you?" "Did you play basketball?"

Often during our married life, people who are normally sensitive to the feelings of others, polite, and politically correct, have made thoughtless remarks about height to my guy. However, the concentration of such rudeness during our cruise reached an all time peak.

This subject matter was wearing thin for both of us but I didn't realize it was taking such a toll on my husband until he mentioned it about 9 days into the voyage. "You know, if I don't get at least five questions about my height, every time I leave the cabin, I feel like a failure." Upon discussing his statement I realized it could be translated to, "Am I actually THAT much of a freak?" This from a successful man who has lived a productive, healthy, family oriented life and is now on a trip meant to celebrate his final full-retirement.

Upon consideration of the matter, it is surprising that this would occur on a rather high-end (not to mention high-priced) cruise, designed for adults who we found, almost exclusively, to be mature, accomplished, and, seemingly, intelligent people.

I am sharing this on Cruise Critic and will post it on a few other websites. It is not my objective to be critical of those who are insensitive to people blessed with height but to simply encourage all of us to be mindfully kind to each person we come in contact with.

My husband is tall. He is 6 feet 5 in bare feet. His shoes add another inch. When others look at him they see a clean-shaven 74 year-old man with short, thinning, graying blonde hair, wearing wire-frame eyeglasses over his very blue eyes, a freshly pressed oxford-cloth button-down collar shirt, nicely ironed Dockers, white socks and light-colored, leather, Hush Puppies with laces. They see a hygienic, neat, trim, 6'6", 200 pound man.

We have been married for 47 years. Possibly I am so used to him that I do not find his height unusual. (At 5'8" I have always felt grateful to have a fella that makes me feel petite -- something unfamiliar to women of my height.) It seems that much of the world's population does not feel this way about a person of 6'6".

On our recent Oceania cruise to the Baltic Sea/Nordic Areas, my husband's height seemed to be a source of wonder to many of the other passengers. Feeling perfectly free to express their amazement at seeing someone of his height, shipmates continued to tell him he was tall, question just how tall he might be, and ask him about his former basketball playing expertise — over and over again during the entire 2-weeks we cruised with them. "You...are...tall!" "How tall are you?" "Did you play basketball?"

Often during our married life, people who are normally sensitive to the feelings of others, polite, and politically correct, have made thoughtless remarks about height to my guy. However, the concentration of such rudeness during our cruise reached an all time peak.

This subject matter was wearing thin for both of us but I didn't realize it was taking such a toll on my husband until he mentioned it about 9 days into the voyage. "You know, if I don't get at least five questions about my height, every time I leave the cabin, I feel like a failure." Upon discussing his statement I realized it could be translated to, "Am I actually THAT much of a freak?" This from a successful man who has lived a productive, healthy, family oriented life and is now on a trip meant to celebrate his final full-retirement.

Upon consideration of the matter, it is surprising that this would occur on a rather high-end (not to mention high-priced) cruise, designed for adults who we found, almost exclusively, to be mature, accomplished, and, seemingly, intelligent people.

I am sharing this on Cruise Critic and will post it on a few other websites. It is not my objective to be critical of those who are insensitive to people blessed with height but to simply encourage all of us to be mindfully kind to each person we come in contact with.

I can understand your frustration, but from the other side...I am only 5'3" and felt rather conspicuous when I had a boyfriend who was 6'5".

However, what I really want to say is that you have posted this on a part of the forums that is not frequented by many members, compared to say, Ask a Cruise Question, or the forums for the cruise lines. Perhaps more people would see it if you reposted it in those areas. EM

I suspect this is more of a cultural difference than actual rudeness. We Americans keep our thoughts to ourselves, where some European cultures don't hold that as a norm. They aren't being rude, just communicating openly. Note: I'm assuming that they weren't making actual rude comments, just observing your DH's atypical height...

When we took our twins on their first cruise at 7 months, we got asked if they were twins probably 50 times the first day... eventually winding down to 10 or 15 times on the last day. It definitely got tiring, but it was all in good faith. In fact, for the next cruise I got them T-shirts that said "Yes, we're twins". :D

Anyway, to the OP: I'm not-quite-6'2 and have never bumped into a ceiling on a cruise ship. There are times when entering the theater or such that I feel like I'm going to bump me head, but I don't think it's ever happened. I would warn to be careful on tenders, which frequently have low ceilings and stairs made out of steel. :(