Just back-Carnival Sunshine cruising the NE

ginal

Thanks for your comments! We leave on Saturday!

Did you do any excursions? We haven't booked anything. I was kind of waiting on the weather...

We did this cruise 9/16/17, in Boston we did half the Freedom Trail from Quincy Market, as 2 years ago on the Splendor we did the other half. In Portland we walked over one pier to Casco Bay Lines and took the 10am "mailrun" to several Islands. Saw two bald eagles and had free internet. $16pp and were back before 1pm. St. Johns we did local sites as last time walked to Reversing Falls, well more like a creek. In Halifax walked to the Citidal and it is free this year with Canada celebrating it national parks 150 year.

Ship was awesome. Better than usual food, crew was amazing, they made us feel welcome from day one. We had decent weather every day and fog every night. Would love to have stayed another week...enjoy.

Kath, would have loved to have done your excursions in Canada, but glad we didn't book anything with the weather. Had actually looked at the land/sea excursion but it was sold out. Funny-we were in an OV on deck 1. When we docked the pier was about on level with our room's floor. A bit later I came back to room and all I could see out the window was a concrete wall!!!! Tide was out lol!!! Came back a while later and we were right back where we started. And didn't even feel a thing lol. :eek:

LOL those tides are something! So apparent in a case like that!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this cruise 9/16/17, in Boston we did half the Freedom Trail from Quincy Market, as 2 years ago on the Splendor we did the other half. In Portland we walked over one pier to Casco Bay Lines and took the 10am "mailrun" to several Islands. Saw two bald eagles and had free internet. $16pp and were back before 1pm. St. Johns we did local sites as last time walked to Reversing Falls, well more like a creek. In Halifax walked to the Citidal and it is free this year with Canada celebrating it national parks 150 year.

Ship was awesome. Better than usual food, crew was amazing, they made us feel welcome from day one. We had decent weather every day and fog every night. Would love to have stayed another week...enjoy.

We were going to do the mailrun also. Just didn't work out. Crew was fantastic! Food was fantastic!

Hey, Kath! Yea, I really loved the ship! But I can understand complaints about pool if you cruised during warm weather and/or to Caribbean. That is one small pool for all those pax! We met a husband and wife, a man with his mid 30's son and 2 couples the lst night at YTD sitting next to us and we all got along fabulously so we all sat at the same tables at the same time each night and it was nice to be "separate" yet together. We were all the way back by the aft facing windows. Did not experience the crowding and long lines I have heard about. I would say the only area that was a bit bad was just aft of the taco place where people are getting drinks and coming in and out of the Marketplace. I would book the ship again in a NY minute! We became friends with a couple who were doing a B2B and are in Bermuda now (eat your heart out lol) We met up with the Captain a few times as we are Diamond and we had a few cocktail parties and he is wonderful. Every single crew member had a smile or an offer to do something for you or just a cheery hello. It was a wonderful week, weather aside. (y)(y) Oh, yea, we had delayed sailing in NY. Never found out why, but it was maybe 8pm (?) when we left, a gorgeous night with a crescent moon and all the buildings and the Lady lit up. It was totally amazing!

I could see how it must be crowded in the summers. There were places that felt a bit closed in even without the crowds.

We also left late. We went for dinner thinking we’d miss everything but finished and got outside as we passed the Freedom Tower so it was cool with all the lights and the full moon.

Glad you enjoyed Cucina for lunch. I loved those rolls. I really wish that the Pride had Cucina, JiJi's, and the BBQ. Oh well, I'll have to enjoy more Chopsticks, deli, Guys and Blue Iguana!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

LOVED Cucina. There were so many great choices at the buffet for lunch that I didn't get back there until 2nd to last day. Just too much good food to choose from! Never did Guys because I know we'll have it on the Pride and I was overwhelmed with so many other choices.

Loving all your posts! Looked at the 10 day forecast and it looks like showers most of the week.

Guess we'll continue to wait on excursions. Was the hop on/hop off bus within walking distance of the ship? I read somewhere that we can buy tickets there, right?

I bought my tickets on their website. Google Old Town Trolleys in Boston. There is a booth right outside the cruise terminal and you wait on line, show her your ticket and she gives you a sticker to wear. Of you can buy them there. Not sure if there is a difference in price. Then wait on line to get on the trolley. We were on 3 different trolleys but it was all very smooth. Again, we stayed on the bus and just did the tour. If you want to go to a particular place, maybe you should take a taxi. I think the trolley comes at 10am, so be there by at least 9:30 so you can be first on. It was very enjoyable. Weather was perfect and I went to college outside of Boston, so I enjoyed going back.

12. Second worst thing was that there were very few activities on the ship. One of the activities listed was "lounging on the Lido Deck". Not sure lounging is an activity. Lots of sells in the shops, art auctions, and spa times, They did have some of the usual, but we just felt it was lacking. Some nights after supper it was no show, and horrible comedian as your two choices.

LOL [emoji23] Loved this!!! Sadly for us though, lounging is not only an activity, but it’s a competition![emoji42]#lazycruiselife

LOL [emoji23] Loved this!!! Sadly for us though, lounging is not only an activity, but it’s a competition![emoji42]#lazycruiselife

Me, too, Wildra! My favorite thing to do is people watch....I am an AVID reader and usually bring at least 2 books on every cruise. Darned if I read more than a chapter and that is usually before turning out the light at night. I just love to watch everyone walking around! We are not really into shows, but I have to admit that the 2 we did try to go to was SRO and one we actually stayed at (Motown I think) wasn't that great. I really wish they would put the shows on the big screen and/or tvs in the cabin.

One other thing I did not like about Sunshine: this may be too personal and TMI :o but when did they decide the toilet paper holder should be right next to the shower! The way it is, when you take a piece off, the roll falls off the holder and into the shower!!! :evilsmile: :confused::eek: No fridge in cabin (which I didn't miss!) and no full length mirror on the closet door either. Just a few things I noticed that make hardly ANY difference. Ship, crew and food were OUTSTANDING. (y)(y)

Me, too, Wildra! My favorite thing to do is people watch....I am an AVID reader and usually bring at least 2 books on every cruise. Darned if I read more than a chapter and that is usually before turning out the light at night. I just love to watch everyone walking around! We are not really into shows, but I have to admit that the 2 we did try to go to was SRO and one we actually stayed at (Motown I think) wasn't that great. I really wish they would put the shows on the big screen and/or tvs in the cabin.

One other thing I did not like about Sunshine: this may be too personal and TMI but when did they decide the toilet paper holder should be right next to the shower! The way it is, when you take a piece off, the roll falls off the holder and into the shower!!! No fridge in cabin (which I didn't miss!) and no full length mirror on the closet door either. Just a few things I noticed that make hardly ANY difference. Ship, crew and food were OUTSTANDING. (y)(y)

Some cabins have a fridge. Ours did and I think the new ones they added on 5 do. It wasn’t built in. It was under the desk where the stool and trash can usually are. Our trash can was still there but the stool was stuck in front of the couch like a footstool - which was kind of nice except it kept getting in the way.

Our toilet paper roll was also next to the shower [emoji849]

We don’t usually do the shows, we prefer the cover bands and the one on the Sunshine was excellent. The name was something like Synergy but spelled crazy [emoji16]. Anyway they were fun. Every night there was this couple - so freaking cute! They danced to every song. I’d say they had to be about 80 with energy of 5 year olds! They dressed very smart, and in the same color every night.

He was a retired soccer player from Peru. They were the hit of the whole cruise. On the last night there was a line up to get photos with them :)