Avoiding the "Cozumel" experience

Keys2Heaven

I say the above in the title, tounge in cheek, as my wife and I sailed on the Carnival Miracle back in September. Two of the ports were beautiful and two we absolutely hated (Costa Maya & Cozumel).

You see, we're not drinkers and we despise the tourist traps. After all, isn't a vacation supposed to be relaxing? Our "Cozumel" expierience sounds all too typical of the atmosphere of these places where tourism is a majority of the gross domestic product for that locale. After being bombarded by cab drivers and locals selling their very cheap wares for exorbatant prices, we have decided to ensure that we have a solid plan of what we want to do at a particular port with a little flexibility in case of unforseen changes.

As 1st time cruisers, we thought that we could just idly wander the streets around the port area and take in the culture. Nope! What we found out is that there are dozens of locals wanting to take you! (for a ride, that is) The locals made fun of us and we were certainly out of place. Between the high-priced cab drivers and pay for space resorts (if you drink even better), we honestly did not know which was worse. We couldn't relax at all and, in fact, found ourselves more stressed at the end of the day. Other stops like Belize, for example, were just as we hoped. Not very packed and the locals very friendly. Yes, they wanted your business, but were not pushy or trying to con you in the least. Porbably the only place on our stop where you could barter and enjoy the experience.

With that said, our second cruise is on the Carnival Destiny next December (12/10/2006). We will be taking our teenage daughters with us and are relishing being able to show them a part of the world that will take their breath away, something they may never see again. As such, we want to avoid, as much as realistically possible, the touristy stuff. We stay away from the cruise ship excursions simply because we want a bit more privacy. I understand that privacy comes with a price, however. In all of our stops, we are looking to explore, to have fun and to take in the culture of what makes that particular port unique. We don't want to be hounded, pay for an umbrella and do the things that we could do anywhere in America.

I like what I am hearing about Accra beach. Sounds delightful. But what are some other things to do that won't break the bank and would allow us to enjoy Barbados in all of its glory without being part of the tourist trap.

Avoid Boatyard and Weisers on the Bay. I wouldn't say they are as bad as what you experienced but it's not what you want.

Do an island tour which will take you to places like Gun Hill signal station, St. John's Parish Church and The east coast for a senic Drive.

If you would rather "go" somewhere for the day just to enjoy, I would recommend Accra Beach for a beach or try to get to Farley Hill National Park, for a relaxing day (nothing there but nature, a playpark, picnic tables and outstanding views.)

Enjoy your day in Barbados

”we are looking to explore, to have fun and to take in the culture of what makes that particular port unique. We don't want to be hounded, pay for an umbrella and do the things that we could do anywhere in America. “

Sunnie is right. A taxi tour or a capacity-limited tour such as the Silver Moon with only 12 passengers might be what you’re looking for.

Or……

If you really want to get away from tourists, see the real Barbados , see places most tourists never see and meet the people of the island en masse and do it cheaply……

Take the bus!

US$.75/ea will take you across half the island. Talk to the locals and ask ‘where is a good place to stop?’ Have lunch on our beautiful East Coast. Lay on a gorgeous beach with no umbrellas, no lounges and no bothersome vendors.

Not to worry, busses come by every 30 minutes.

Culture and history? See St. Johns Parish Church; Morgan Lewis Mill; St. Nicholas Abbey; Sunbury House; Gun Hill Signal Station; Sam Lords castle and on and on……

All for US.$.75. What a deal, yes?

Make it an adventure for you and your family.

I can almost guarantee it will be a day you’ll remember with fondness for a long while.

My best wishes for a wonderful time on the island. :)

barbados:

Thank you for the advice. Will definitely head it. I think we will do tours in St. Thomas and Dominica but definitely want some beach and/or snorkel time in Barbados & Aruba.

What would a good out-of-the-way beach be located? Would prefer to beach on the western or southern side.

As before, I would still stay with Accra Beach on the southcoast, but not really for snorkeling, more for just a great beach day. Yes you will find people there, but it's a great beach.

Try Folkstone Park for a great snorkeling site on the West Coast. Just passed Holetown, you will get a somewhat ok beach but a great place to snorkle.

One of the beast beaches is The Crane Beach. It's on the east coast and not for snorkeling, but a beautiful world class beach (and some body surfing if you are into that).

I still totally recommend a tour, only because out would like for you to see our beautiful island. So take a few hours in your morning to do the tour and then head to a beach for the afternoon.

Archived