What wlll happen in the Spring? Booking a cruise?

Hello!

I am sure there are some threads around this topic already, but my search did not pull anything up. I am trying to book a Spring Break cruise, but all of the ports listed on the sailings we want were affected with the hurricanes. Will the ships go there anyway? Any word? We would love to support the economy in these places, and dont care if the beaches are perfect, buildings are built, etc. But, not sure if we book something if it will actually materialize or not.

Thoughts?

St Martin is reporting their port will be open on November 11th. Grand Turk is opening around then too. San Juan may take some time.

Pick a date or dates when you'd like to cruise. Pick a ship you'd like to cruise on. Itinerary may or may not be ideal at present time, but if they change it or not, at least you'll be on a ship you like at the time you like.

Hello!

I am sure there are some threads around this topic already, but my search did not pull anything up. I am trying to book a Spring Break cruise, but all of the ports listed on the sailings we want were affected with the hurricanes. Will the ships go there anyway? Any word? We would love to support the economy in these places, and dont care if the beaches are perfect, buildings are built, etc. But, not sure if we book something if it will actually materialize or not.

Thoughts?

I am sorry the person felt the need to give you the unhelpful "crystal ball" statement. smh......

For those of us actually here to help....here is what I hope will help you:

I've been following John Heald on Facebook to know which ports are already open. On my favorite ports (like Key West, San Juan, etc) I follow some of their pages and they are giving an excellent update.

Keep in mind that even if you book now, there could be issues with upcoming hurricanes.

When I first started cruising it was all about the port for me. Now I've learned to enjoy all the ship has to offer and if we have to re-route then I just get to experience a different, but wonderful port. Go with that mind set and you'll be happy. Hey, you're on a ship, in the ocean, and not at work! Kinda hard to complain, ya know? ;-)

Happy cruising to you!

I think most seasoned cruisers have been pleasantly surprised at some time in the past how quickly seemingly devastated ports have been able to reopen after storm damage. There really is a sense of urgency because so many locals' livelihoods depend on cruise tourism dollars. Keep in mind though that while a port may reopen, it could be that not everything will be open or accessible right away.

I totally agree with your thinking about wanting to spend your tourism dollars in these areas to help the local economy recover.

I hope you have a favorable outcome for your spring break cruise. I wouldn't hesitate to book if I were in your shoes.

I am sorry the person felt the need to give you the unhelpful "crystal ball" statement. smh......

For those of us actually here to help....here is what I hope will help you:

I've been following John Heald on Facebook to know which ports are already open. On my favorite ports (like Key West, San Juan, etc) I follow some of their pages and they are giving an excellent update.

Keep in mind that even if you book now, there could be issues with upcoming hurricanes.

When I first started cruising it was all about the port for me. Now I've learned to enjoy all the ship has to offer and if we have to re-route then I just get to experience a different, but wonderful port. Go with that mind set and you'll be happy. Hey, you're on a ship, in the ocean, and not at work! Kinda hard to complain, ya know? ;-)

Happy cruising to you!

Thank you so much ! Great advice, I did not even think to look on FB. You are awesome- :D

I think most seasoned cruisers have been pleasantly surprised at some time in the past how quickly seemingly devastated ports have been able to reopen after storm damage. There really is a sense of urgency because so many locals' livelihoods depend on cruise tourism dollars. Keep in mind though that while a port may reopen, it could be that not everything will be open or accessible right away.

I totally agree with your thinking about wanting to spend your tourism dollars in these areas to help the local economy recover.

I hope you have a favorable outcome for your spring break cruise. I wouldn't hesitate to book if I were in your shoes.

Thank you so much! I was trying to book quicky, so didnt do my usual thorough checking. This is so helpful! Have a good day!

St Martin is reporting their port will be open on November 11th. Grand Turk is opening around then too. San Juan may take some time.

Pick a date or dates when you'd like to cruise. Pick a ship you'd like to cruise on. Itinerary may or may not be ideal at present time, but if they change it or not, at least you'll be on a ship you like at the time you like.

Yes- Thanks! I had NO idea they would be open so quick. That is actually really impressive!

Thank you so much! I was trying to book quicky, so didnt do my usual thorough checking. This is so helpful! Have a good day!

You're welcome, sweetie! I hope you'll come back and tell us about your successful booking and cruise! Sending you warm cruise wishes.

News on this site had an interview with Carnival's President stating that they were starting back with San Juan as a port of call as of Sunday 10/15. Granted my understanding is that only 20% of the island has electricity but they are apparently open for business as of this weekend.

News on this site had an interview with Carnival's President stating that they were starting back with San Juan as a port of call as of Sunday 10/15. Granted my understanding is that only 20% of the island has electricity but they are apparently open for business as of this weekend.

I'm so glad to hear they'll be able to reopen the port at San Juan so soon. So many locals depend on our cruise tourism dollars, and after the storm damage, our support is even more important to them. I hope every Carnival passenger visiting will find a way to make an extra contribution to the local economy. Even a small amount of money can make a huge difference in someone's day under the circumstances they're facing.