Attn San Juan cruisers: Air Canada cancellations

xvi

If you're flying Air Canada to San Juan between now and mid December, passengers are reporting flight cancellations. Some have been notified, others have not. They are trying to accommodate people on other flights, or offering refunds. There were no alternative flights that worked for us and they could not accommodate us, so we took the refund and rebooked on another airline.

Thanks for posting this as I wasn't notified , I was able to get TA to verify and they had Delta come up with an alternate flight, times are not as good but we have a flight and no additional charges.

Has anyone heard any more about air Canada flights to and from PR for later?

I went to check the other day for a price drop and it appears that our late Feb early early March flights are all sold out. Then I took a larger look and it appears that all direct flights from Toronto to San Juan and back are sold out from January to April. I asked my TA to confirm with AC - They claim they only cancelled up to mid December and that our flights are still active. But it seems suspicious to me that all direct flights are gone for 4 months straight.

They said the reason for cancelling up to mid December was that the San Juan airport decided that they can't handle the amount of flights and need to cut back.

Final payment is next week... unsure as to whether I should proceed with payment and trust AC on our flights for feb/March or book somethings else!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

Has anyone heard any more about air Canada flights to and from PR for later?

I went to check the other day for a price drop and it appears that our late Feb early early March flights are all sold out. Then I took a larger look and it appears that all direct flights from Toronto to San Juan and back are sold out from January to April. I asked my TA to confirm with AC - They claim they only cancelled up to mid December and that our flights are still active. But it seems suspicious to me that all direct flights are gone for 4 months straight.

They said the reason for cancelling up to mid December was that the San Juan airport decided that they can't handle the amount of flights and need to cut back.

Final payment is next week... unsure as to whether I should proceed with payment and trust AC on our flights for feb/March or book somethings else!

I think they are playing it by ear... “officially” currently planning on resuming flights as of Dec 16... but, that doesn’t mean much considering they had previously announced it was “officially” resuming Nov 1st... So the date they give doesn’t mean much.

Westjet is not resuming until mid Jan and I have heard rhumours that Air Canada will follow suit, but nothing confirmed.

If it’s anything like this last batch of cancellations, where Air Canada waited until the last minute to inform customers that their flights were canceled, then I would not expect to hear from AC for a while, and they will likely continue to confirm your flight is ok in the meantime.

Delta, American Airlines, and others are now flying to San Juan again. For us, the times and connections out of Toronto were lousy so we are now leaving from Buffalo as the flight times were better and faster. Maybe check out options with the other airlines before making your final payment if you don’t feel confident about Air Canada, although Feb is still a ways away. Good luck!

Could it be that Air Canada code share flights are still operating, that is an "AC" flight that is actually a United flight (or something). So while no Air Canada branded planes are flying, the code shares (on another airline) are?

(just asking)

The ones that are 'sold out' are actual AC flights. The ones that are showing available now (with connections in the US) are code shares.

I hope that everything gets back up and running smoothly soon.

I can't imagine what those poor people are going through without adequate housing and power. :(

I am in the same boat (or plane) as many here. I have a direct AC flight back from San Juan on January 7th. When I called AC a week ago, I got several different versions of the story. Their final story I was told was that currently they are planning on restoring direct flights to and from San Juan starting December 16th, but that may change to a later date. They recommended that I keep my original (convenient flight) and offered to hold space on an alternative flight (not very convenient) that included a layover on the flight home. I was informed that the flights after January 15th are still planning on operating at this time, so they were not contacting passengers about it yet and will do so if things change. I was also informed that they have decided to suspend the sale of all these direct flights into the spring of 2018 for the time being until they have better information. Fingers crossed they resume direct flights in December. Delta cancelled our flight to San Juan and we had to re-book a flight a day later, but a few days ago, they added back a bunch of originally scheduled flights to and from San Juan, so we were able to return to our regular booking.