Cancelled drinks package freebie to move to better cabin. Refund due?

lucywestie

So here is the story.

Booked on the Jade sailing December 18th 2017.(booked it in May 2017) We originally booked an inside cabin and along with that we chose the drink package.

Fast forward to a September. We had made final payment and then saw that there were some pretty good prices on balcony cabins, but the price was only good if you just had the cabin with no perks. So we upgraded to a balcony with no perks.

For ease of explanation.

Inside cabin with drink package - approx $3300 (inc. gratuities)

Balcony with drink package - approx $4800 (inc gratuities)

Balcony without drink package - approx $3750

So we had made final payment and that included the fees/gratuties etc. for having the drink package.

So my question is. Because we upgraded and got rid of the package am I not due a refund of those gratuities? I have fired off an email to my TA as I just thought about this 2 minutes ago.

Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this.

So you were paying $3300 approx. for an inside with drinks and gratuities included and you have 'upgraded' to a balcony without drinks and therefore no gratuities for $3750. Your final payment was $3300 I am guessing. Have they not just taken the gratuities rebate and used it to pay the extra $450.?

I am not even going to ask about the DSC because it leads to so much added confusion.

This is purely about the fee's you pay on the drinks package. Waiting to see what my TA says though no doubt I bet somewhere along the line the math is factored so that Im not due anything!!

So nope, I had to pay an additional $450 (just rounded all the figures up here) on top of the original $3300 that I had paid.

Technically in this situation I would think that you should get back the gratuities you paid for the drink package. However, since the change was made after final payment, that could affect the decision. But I would definitely follow up with your travel agent. Let us know what happens.

No idea of your situation, but some packages/promo included the 18% at one point, but did not actually charge it. If they actually CHARGED the 18% - then I would say you get it back, since that is an ADD ON and nothing to do with the cost of the cruise. But, only if you were charged it.

By the way, I would avoid term gratuities since too many people confuse that with the DSC. Just use the term 18% or 18% gratuity.

So, said another way. I had the drink package and you required me to pay 18% on the value. Now the value is zero. Go ahead and charge me 18% on that and refund the other money.