Using a debit card for S&S

maxandmolly

Please don’t use a debit card!! Apply for a credit card, if you don’t have one to use for your S&S, and just use it for the cruise. If you have the monies in your checking account to cover a debit card then you’ll have the monies to pay your charge card off. I’ve heard stories about holds on debit cards that interfere with auto pay in checking accounts, thus being short on funds to pay, not a problem I’d want to deal with upon returning from vacation!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1. If you choose to use a debit card, open a separate bank account just for cruising with a debit card with only the money you are going to spend on the cruise. Make sure that it is not associated with any other bank account. (Be aware if you don't have any access to $$$ and you have an emergency you are up a creek without a paddle).

2. Notify the bank that you will be traveling with debit card so that it doesn't get shut off because you are out of your spending area.

3. Add bank transaction alerts to your account to your email or cell phone so that you know if your card has been compromised. This will only help a little if you are at sea and don't have internet access. I have alerts set up for all charge cards and bank accounts and stopped fraud just last month on my Visa card with a phone call. They replaced my card with a new account number.

4. I choose to use a Credit Card because of the travel benefits and it much easier to dispute charges before you have to pay than to beg to get your $$$ back from the bank on a debit card.

5. Stuff happens when you least expect it. If you qualify for a credit card, I would carry one for emergency costs.

Long story but I can’t get a credit card right now. Looks like I’ll be doing cash. I just thought maybe debit would be easier than carrying that much cash. Oh well. Thanks all.

ok....... here's another option:

Try to determine a ball park amount you will spend on the cruise (ie. drinks,gratuties, or anything charged to your room by the S&S card).

Lets say its $500? Try to determine how much you plan on spending total (cash and travel and cruise) . Now lets say your planning on spending $800 total.

Go to your local bank and get a prepaid VISA for the $500 and get the remaining $300 in $20's and $5s and $1's (tip money for room service and valet and other people who help you). You can attach your debit card to your acct now and then as soon as you board the ship go to guest services and have them remove it and add the prepaid VISA. We have done this exact scenario the last 5 cruises with NO problems. I try to avoid using my debit card unless I feel 100% sure its legit like a well know store in Cozumel or Grand Caymens. I put my extra cash in the safe and and get it out when need be.

If you go thru your intial money on that card you can go settle the night before you leave. They will slip a statement under your door if you happen to go negative. Believe me they wont let you leave being in the hole. LOL

Good Luck and have a awesome cruise!!