NCL Dining Plan

Lissie555

Hello!! Going on my first cruise- NCL Dawn 3/25/18 from Tampa and I'm geeking out with all the planning.

I'm curious what speciality restaurants people use their SDP and where you pay out? We have the 3 SDP through the perks and thinking about what's the most strategic way to use them.

Love all the info on these boards!

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Generally the a la carte restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina) give you a better bang for your buck with the SDP than Modernos or Teppanyaki, obviously depending on what you order. Los Lobos is unique to the Dawn, but looking at their menu the most expensive entree is $16.

The three meal plan would cost you $69 plus gratuities, so basically anything over $23 per meal gives you value. Modernos, for instance, is $25 if you buy it on its own, whereas there are entrees at Cagney's that are more than $23 before you even get to appetizers, sides and desserts.

Food is obviously a question of personal taste, so there's no point in getting value at La Cucina if you don't like Italian food to begin with. But I think most people would agree that Cagney's is worth a try for one of your three meals.

Generally the a la carte restaurants (Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina) give you a better bang for your buck with the SDP than Modernos or Teppanyaki, obviously depending on what you order. Los Lobos is unique to the Dawn, but looking at their menu the most expensive entree is $16.

The three meal plan would cost you $69 plus gratuities, so basically anything over $23 per meal gives you value. Modernos, for instance, is $25 if you buy it on its own, whereas there are entrees at Cagney's that are more than $23 before you even get to appetizers, sides and desserts.

Food is obviously a question of personal taste, so there's no point in getting value at La Cucina if you don't like Italian food to begin with. But I think most people would agree that Cagney's is worth a try for one of your three meals.

Fantastic and thanks very much for breaking it down! I'm all about Cagney's!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would put more thought into what food you think you will enjoy more rather than what is the best value. I actually enjoyed my dinner at Moderno more than Cagney's. We just got off the Breakaway on Sunday.

Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina my wife and I loved
Those are the three we usually do as well although some in our group on our last cruise went to Moderno instead of Le Bistro and loved it. :-)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina my wife and I loved

+1. These are the closest in standard to what you might find on land for midscale steakhouses, French, and Italian cuisine.

If you've been to something like Benihana, Teppenyaki will be a pale copy of that.

If you've been to an Americanised-Brasilian place (like Texas de Brasil), Moderno looks like a dumpster fire.

Led Bistro is my favorite specialty dining restaurant. I always eat there, even when I don’t have the SDP. I also find Moderno very fun, although not necessarily the best bang for your buck. We are adding it this year though as a fourth specialty restaurant after our 3 day promo SDP. We will eat in the a la cartes with the plan and the. Ay the $25 cover charge for that night.

I would put more thought into what food you think you will enjoy more rather than what is the best value.

I generally agree with you, particularly when the meals are free. But when you have to start narrowing down your choices, knowing what things are worth is helpful.

For example, my wife and I always used the three meals for Cagney's, Le Bistro and Moderno. But there are some new (for us) items on the La Cucina menu that piqued our interest for our upcoming cruise. By knowing the value, we decided that it's worth it to use La Cucina for our third meal and pay for Moderno on our own for $25 and this way we can still do everything we want for the lowest overall price.

I generally agree with you, particularly when the meals are free. But when you have to start narrowing down your choices, knowing what things are worth is helpful.

For example, my wife and I always used the three meals for Cagney's, Le Bistro and Moderno. But there are some new (for us) items on the La Cucina menu that piqued our interest for our upcoming cruise. By knowing the value, we decided that it's worth it to use La Cucina for our third meal and pay for Moderno on our own for $25 and this way we can still do everything we want for the lowest overall price.

So true :)