SeaTeacher provides the BEST answer to the Formal Dress Dilemma!

Guest Host Tink

Guest Host Tink

icon1.gifIt's Not Just About Comfort...It's About Respect

I want to chime in on this subject, because in all my reading on the board, I've never seen anyone express my thoughts about dressing for formal nights.

I've heard many mention "comfort" as a reason for wearing jeans, or just a sundress. I've heard others object to that same attire because it just doesn't follow the rules or expectations. Some are even somewhat sarcastic and ask, "Do my jeans really ruin your vacation?" Of course, the answer should be no. But I want to ask everyone: what about respect?

Dressing up on a formal night can be a way of showing respect for both yourself and everyone else you are dining with. It can be a way of saying, not just with words but with action: I care about you AND me. I think beyond my own needs. I care enough to make this evening special by going the extra mile to create an atmosphere of celebration and style that occurs rarely in modern life. I respect you enough, stranger and family member alike, to take the time to look my best, be thoughful, and show you that sometimes certain nights should be special enough to create memories on unique levels.

I harken back to the early 80s when I graduated from High School in San Diego. Back then, Disneyland had a late night party for HS seniors called grad night (maybe it still happens). Any senior that wanted to come to Disneyland had to dress in business attire. That meant dresses or pants suits for the women and sportcoat and tie for the men. At the time, I heard they required this kind of attire to cut down on fights between hormone rich boys. But I think it was more than that.

I believe most people behave differently when they dress up. They are more likely to slow down, be curteous and respectful in their manner. We are worth it, aren't we?

So when people show up in jeans, they don't ruin my vacation. But in a small way I think they are telling me "You aren't worth it. This is just another night out for me and I care only about my comfort. I don't want to expend the extra energy to make this night unique for all of us. I only care about me."

There are so many different ways to vacation. Must crusing sink to the lowest common denominator. Must it become no more special than a night at Hooters? I want my fellow travelers to know I still care about some old traditions, and I care about the people I am with - I care enough to do something special like dressing up on formal nights, and even taking an extra step on the smart and casual night. I'll leave my jeans at home, waiting for the next time I go out to the neighborhood pub. There is a time and a place for everything. Beside, I feel very comforable in my best black suit with a beautiful chic silver tie, cuff links. and polished shoes. In fact....honestly.... I am HOT BABY!!! Come on, join me lets all be hot and sexy together!

Guest Host Tink

Hey Folks!

I have been getting several emails from people giving me kudos for writing this wonderful post, so I wanted to make sure I got in here and let you know again that *I didn't write it* SeaTeacher is the talented author and deserves the kudos.

In the Spirit of the Holidays, I'm going to leave this open so you can leave your messages. PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE keep this *one* thread positive?

Seateacher has my vote... Thanks for the Sticky...

I have seen similiar posts by so called "Cheerleaders", however most were flamed by others.. Perhaps SeaTeacher has other "Pearls of Wisdom" that they would like to share.. They do have a way with words.. :)

An excellent essay by SeaTeacher. He manages to make his point without being offensive to naysayers.

I think the arguments over formal dress are similar to the conflicts of smokers and non-smokers. Smokers cannot smoke in the dinning room, because it would deprive the non-smokers of clean air. Instead smokers are allowed to smoke in other parts of the ship. Similarly, casual dressers, should not be allowed in the dinning room on formal nights, because it would detract from the pleasure of formal dressers celebrating a grand tradition. And just like smokers, casual dressers have alternatives to the dinning room. What's more, formal nights are only 2 days per week, so it is a small sacrifice.

Smokers and casual dressers have each made the decision to be who they are. Smokers manage to not smoke while in the dining room out of courtesy to non-smokers. Why can't casual dressers show the same courtesy to those in formal wear?

An excellent essay by SeaTeacher. He manages to make his point without being offensive to naysayers.

I think the arguments over formal dress are similar to the conflicts of smokers and non-smokers. Smokers cannot smoke in the dinning room, because it would deprive the non-smokers of clean air. Instead smokers are allowed to smoke in other parts of the ship. Similarly, casual dressers, should not be allowed in the dinning room on formal nights, because it would detract from the pleasure of formal dressers celebrating a grand tradition. And just like smokers, casual dressers have alternatives to the dinning room. What's more, formal nights are only 2 days per week, so it is a small sacrifice.

Smokers and casual dressers have each made the decision to be who they are. Smokers manage to not smoke while in the dining room out of courtesy to non-smokers. Why can't casual dressers show the same courtesy to those in formal wear?

I agree. Well done Sea teacher

I'm with Cherylhaha and Zydecocruiser. While this argument will go on and on, I'm of the opinion there's a certain amount of arrogance in people who want to bar those from entering the dining room because their style of dress does not meet with their approval.

Archived