Ho chi Ming (Hanoi)

Boo37dog

Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are two completely different ports.

In terms of Ho Chi Minh you have several options. One includes going into the city and enjoying it on your own. Personally I would take a private tour where you can control the pace and will be taken around in a van or go on the ships tour.

If you want a recommendation on a private guide let me know.

Also the Asia Ports Of Call Board is a good source as mentioned above.

Keith

Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi are two completely different ports.

Note the correct spelling of Ho Chi Minh in Keith's post - Uncle Ho would be spinning in his grave :D

Ho Chi Minh City is still known by locals as Saigon.

If your ship ports at Phu My (most do, check your itinerary) by road it's 90 minutes plus to Saigon.

Once in the city it's pretty easy to explore on foot. So pre-book ship's transfer bus (called "HCMC on your own" or similar), or a private transfer or tour, depending on your wishes. Ships' transfers usually drop at or near Rex Hotel & there's plenty to see in the area - places like Reunification Hall, War Remnants Museum, HCM Museum, Notre Dame, Ben Thanh market, etc.. If you want a private transfer or tour there are plenty of recommendations on the Asia forum linked by easyboy.

"Caves?" If you mean the Cu Chi Tunnels (Vietnam War) they're an hour or more beyond Saigon. Much more there than tunnels, but if you've only got one day - and especially if you don't want too much travel - stick to Saigon.

Hanoi. Your ship goes to Halong Bay, and yes it's 3.5 to 4 hrs each-way by car or bus.

So skip Hanoi, stay in Halong Bay & take a junk cruise through the eerie & mysterious limestone karsts of the bay.

"Caves". I know where you're coming from - seen one cave you've seen them all. :rolleyes:. But if you mean the caves in some of those karsts, you'll visit only one cave and for only mebbe half an hour of your day - the rest is cruising the watery moonscape of the bay.

You'll have a drive of no more than 10 minutes between ship and junk.

JB :)