Formal dress question for a teenager

johnzh

I will be cruising the Mexican Riviera soon with my 14 year old son. I was planning on buying him a dark suit for formal nights, but am now having second thoughts. He has complained that he will be too hot wearing a suit and wants to wear just the dress pants with a shirt and tie (he is ALWAYS hot). I originally told him that he can take the jacket off and hang it on the chair as soon as he sits down, to which he replied "why wear it at all if I'm just going to take it off?" That seemed to make sense to me and now I'm wondering "why BUY it at all if he's just going to take it off?".

I know the dining room is air conditioned, but my son gets hot very easily, so I have no doubt that his complaint is valid. He will be too hot in the jacket.

So my question is: On formal nights, is dress pants with shirt and tie okay for a teenage boy?

We were just on the Dawn to the Mexican Riviera and while most of the adult men wore suits, several were in untucked "dress" shirts and oversized dockers. There weren't many teens, but those we saw were in nice dress pants and a tucked in dress shirt, some with tie, some without. I didn't see any teen boys in suits, but I felt the teens overall dressed nicer than many of the adults. I wouldn't invest in a suit unless you have another formal occassion coming up before he outgrows it!

Karen

I agree don't bother with a suit, he'll look fine in a dress shirt and tie.On the ship he will blend in just fine, but I should warn you that on these boards there are some die hard" golden days of cruising " types who really think everyone should wear a tux! Don't worry , in real life very few teens have a suit, let alone a tux. If you are at all concerned, then go to a thrift shop and get him a sports coat.

My boys wear dark colored Dockers with a white dress shirt (tucked in!) and tie. They were 11 and 14 last time we cruised. I had found inexpensive dress vests the previous time we cruised with them and they still fit, so they also wore those. They looked great, but would have been perfectly acceptable without the vests as well.

Cathy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

until European River Cruise on Viking Spirit

Given there are times in life when a suit is not just a question of cruise ship etiquette, but a necessity for other functions, it might be an idea that one learns to wear one – hot or not. I wouldn’t consider teen age too young to learn about proper dress.

But, I’ll not go off on my usual rant about dress on formal evenings. Since you’re spending a vacation hanging out with your son, why not go totally casual and do Horizon Court? Sounds like it would be a lot easier and enjoyable for him.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

I guess I don't understand the question. If by asking "will it be OK?" you mean will your son be allowed to eat, the answer is yes. As we are all aware, Princess does not enforce suggested dress. If you are asking whether a shirt and tie without a jacket is formal, then the answer is no, it is not formal.

I guess I need to clarify my question. I'm asking if there are likely to be others (teenagers or adult men) dressed with just dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie (no jacket). I have read that formal night dress varies considerably and that a wide range of clothing not typically considered "formal" is seen. I want him to look nice and to fit in and if a jacket is required to do that then he will wear one, but I see no reason why he should be made to sit through a dinner uncomfortably if something less would be acceptable.

I think I understood your question. Being objective with an answer, I think you’ll see a majority of the male passengers in at least a suit, if not a tux. While there are many who indicate they attend formal night in less, their numbers don’t hold up well when compared to 2599 other passengers. As for teens, I think I’ve seen a good number in jacket and tie as well.

I don’t have kids, but if I did and my son would be uncomfortable dressed for a formal dinner when I was on vacation, I think I’d choose to be casual and spend some time with him where he’s happy. Just my thoughts…but as I say, I don’t have kids.

-------------------------

Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

If you do decide to get him a suit ot sportcoat, you might want to check ebay if he's still growing! You can get some great deals on there. We're bringing our 11-year-old Godson on the CP in September and he's decided he wants to wear a tux--go figure! (I think it's because my 16-year-old nephew did on our last one!) Anyway--I found him a complete tux on ebay for $24.99! He's soooo excited!! We're going to get a formal picture taken and surprise his Mom with it!!

Kathi

Car Destiny-W Caribbean-6/1/00

Sovereign - Bahamas - 6/15/01

Star Princess-Alaska-7/16/02

Navigator-E Caribbean-8/02/03

Mariner-W Caribbean-01/25/04

Caribbean Princess - 9/25/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;09;25;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

UNTIL THE CARIBBEAN PRINCESS !!!!!!

What about a snazzy vest? I'm 25 and when my brother was 14 he didn't want to wear a suit either. If your son wants to look nice but not wear a coat, I would say try to find him a cool vest. They make grown up looking ones and very fun ones as well with characters or patterns on them. That might be a really cool idea. I can see him starting a new trend.

But to be honest, I would rather a young man like your son to be without a coat but with manners instead of with a coat and without manners.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dawn Princess 04/11/2004 ~ Southern Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 08/14/2004 ~ Eastern Caribbean

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

I agree with some of the above...formal night is formal night. A shirt and tie is not formal, whether you're 14 or 64. There are other dining establishments available to those who prefer something more casual.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Sapphire Princess

He'll be fine in the dining room with dress pants and a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie. It's not technically "formal", but he won't be alone dressing that way in his age group. Don't be discouraged by what the others may say about it "not being formal"--he's a growing kid, and depending on your budget, it may not be reasonable for you to buy a coat for the 2 formal nights. And, don't just go to Horizon Court for dinner--he'll be fine, and he'll enjoy the experience of being with "formal" adults. My experience (boys 20 and 21 now) is that next time he just might look forward to being more formal.

I said this in another post, but anyway...instead of buying him a suit, make a compromise and buy him a suitcoat--usually a spiffy navy one looks polished but nothing near as formal as a tux. I'm going to reiterate what everyone else says and suggest buying at a thrift store--just buy the suit and toss out the pants part, if you must! Most of the suits have barely been worn, if at all. And remind your son (if it matters to him) that the girls LIKE to get dressed up on formal night and they LIKE to see boys equally dressed up...coming from the mom of a girl! PS Daughter says it looks especially "hot" when a guy has his suitcoat tossed over one shoulder...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So my question is: On formal nights, is dress pants with shirt and tie okay for a teenage boy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know the dining room is air conditioned, but my son gets hot very easily, so I have no doubt that his complaint is valid. He will be too hot in the jacket.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it could be a life lesson, is it going to be hot in a boardroom meeting someday?

Food for thought icon_wink.gif

Steveo

Golden 2/04

Grand 11/03

The three most exciting sounds in the world: Anchor chains, plane motors, and train whistles....George Bailey

I'll also add a "that said"....you'll rellish the pictures that you get from having your son dress up. "It's too hot" isn't a reason to not wear a coat on formal night--it's a great life experience, and one that should be (gently) encouraged if the budget thing's not an issue.

We usually just ask all our friends a month or two before the cruise and find someone with the right sized sport coats we can borrow (although I've spent hours combing thrift shops, very few have kids sizes or decent ones). Even our friends ask their friends for us. Although it's not truly "formal," a nice navy sport coat with khaki or grey pants, dress shirt and tie, nice shoes, is formal enough for that age group. I just can't see getting a tux for someone who's still growing, bargain or no bargain (and my teenaged sons are still growing). Has Princess ever addressed this topic for different age groups?

Our 15yr. old wore a nice Ralph Lauren button-down and a tie with nice khaki pants. He looked fine. I even saw some teenage boys with nice polos and dress pants.

Kim

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;6;5;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess - June 5, 2004

My 9 year old is a bit younger (and smaller). I went through the same dilemma until I found kid's suits at Sears for around $50. I was willing to spend that for the only two nights he would probably wear it. The suit isn't fine Italian or anything, but he looks great in it, and he is very excited about dressing up. The look on his face when he saw himself in the mirror was worth the money on it's own. I know that probably won't work for a 14 year old, but wanted to put it out there for those with boys in the 6 - 12 age range

Thanks everybody for your responses. After reading the responses here and talking to a few co-workers who recently returned from a cruise, I have decided to let him go without the jacket. Some of the responses here and my co-workers have confirmed that there will be other teenage boys dressed this way. I just didn't want him to be the only one!

I really appreciate all your help!

Although I am somewhat a traditionalist when it comes to dress codes, I do think we need to cut some slack for pre-teens and teens.

A lad in slacks, collared dress shirt (with or without tie), and without jacket is fine, in my opinion. Some at that age grow so fast a jacket bought before a cruise would be too short at the end of the cruise. I grew six inches over one summer when 15 - and it hurt to grow so fast!

My 14 year old son and his 14 year old cousin both wore black pants, black shirts and nice ties. No, they weren't dressed formal but they looked nice and they were with families who were dressed to the letter of the Princess formal night dress description -- so as a group, I think we passed muster! The photos look great. The absence of a jacket on your son won't make or break the cruise for him, you or any other passesnger. The above-listed suggestions to try ebay (I did but the fit was off so we had to leave it home) are sound. Also, the girls usually love dressing up. My daughter goes nuts.

J

johnzh

Your decision is sound and wise.My son is nearly 13 and naturally is sensitive about not looking out of place.Although he will have a suit on formal nights your son will feel very comfortable without a jacket and not feel at all out of place. I would urge you to dine in the restaurant on formal nights as the experience is great and IMHO what cruising is all about, especially as a family

If our experience on the Golden last year was typical, on second formal night the teen club had their own table and dined together. Our son joined this group and had a great time. Their behaviour was also exemplary ( they were seated near us) and put many adults to shame.however they were dressed!

Relax, enjoy and don't worry at some of the off-putting replies posted earlier

• 2 weeks later...

I'm as big a stickler about formal night as anyone. I can't udnerstand how a 30 eyar old can't handle a jacket and tie for 2 hours. BUT, being 14 is difference. Quite frankly dress pants with a shirt and tie will still outperform several of the grown ups. Also, if heat is the issue, you may be able to find a sencond hand linen jacket. Its not necessarily Sunday/wedding wear but is a light weight alternative.

Archived