QE2 Arp Dubai

Marlduffin

I'm not really clear on your question but I think you are joining QE2's World Cruise in Dubai and you want to visit Dubai a few days prior to boarding, yes? 2005 World Cruise that is what we did. We flew to Dubai a few days early, booked independently a room at Jumeriah (sp?) Beach Hotel, took a taxi from the airport. We had called the Concierge several times in advance of our arrival and had a plan for our activities for the few days there. The Concierge service was excellent (QE2 was a day late arriving in port due to weather, the hotels were very full for the extra night we were going to need, the Concierge sent us in a hotel car to a lesser quality hotel in the city as that was all they could find for us. We had not been in our new room more than 5 minutes when the Conciege called us to be sure we were ok, advising he had the hotel car on stand by for us if we wanted to ck out). If you want suggestions for what to do, I would be glad to tell you what we did, just ask. If you want to go to the Burj Hotel, tourists cannot just walk in and stroll around. You need an advance reservation for lunch or dinner which can be difficult if it is during a high profile event in Dubai. We had a beautiful dinner there and later drinks at the top. It was a fun evening. You should try to spend a couple of days in Dubai, we enjoyed it.

I'm not really clear on your question but I think you are joining QE2's World Cruise in Dubai and you want to visit Dubai a few days prior to boarding, yes? 2005 World Cruise that is what we did. We flew to Dubai a few days early, booked independently a room at Jumeriah (sp?) Beach Hotel, took a taxi from the airport. We had called the Concierge several times in advance of our arrival and had a plan for our activities for the few days there. The Concierge service was excellent (QE2 was a day late arriving in port due to weather, the hotels were very full for the extra night we were going to need, the Concierge sent us in a hotel car to a lesser quality hotel in the city as that was all they could find for us. We had not been in our new room more than 5 minutes when the Conciege called us to be sure we were ok, advising he had the hotel car on stand by for us if we wanted to ck out). If you want suggestions for what to do, I would be glad to tell you what we did, just ask. If you want to go to the Burj Hotel, tourists cannot just walk in and stroll around. You need an advance reservation for lunch or dinner which can be difficult if it is during a high profile event in Dubai. We had a beautiful dinner there and later drinks at the top. It was a fun evening. You should try to spend a couple of days in Dubai, we enjoyed it.

Wotec,

I'd love to hear about the Burj. They say it is one of the best hotels in the world! Oops, sorry, you said Jumeria Beach. How was it?

They are still top notch.

Here's is thir web page.

http://www.burj-al-arab.com/staying_with_us/

Marlduffin, I don't know where you are flying from, but your travel company is making a good commission on your cruise. Many travel companies no longer book air, or they charge a fee to book it, as very few airlines commision air any more. On the other hand, there are fees and costs associated with being a ticketing entity. Perhaps this is their reticence. Perhaps if you indicate to them that you are willing to book the air directly if they will help you find the flights- In other words, they do the legwork, and you call the airline (or go online) and give them your credit card for an e-ticket, or possibly a paper ticket. Additionally, if you are booking your air thru Cunard, ask them to book you in two days sooner, and ask about transfers to the ship. I am certain the concierge at el Arab will also help arrange tranfers. I'm also quite certain your travel company should be delighted to book you with them, as I am also quite certain their commision will be worth their effort. I'm sure they want to keep your business~The hotel is also know as Jumeira and actually they have several resorts and hotels under the Jumeira name.

http://www.jumeirah.com/check_rates_book_now/

I've never seen their online booking system up and running. It's always down for maintenance it seems!

Re: Dubai - ck out the opening page of cruise critic - they have an article on what to do and see in Dubai. I could do without the desert safari - really touristy, all of the people in the 4x4 with me got motion sick, the barbeque and entertainment second rate, the whole event a waste of time. Yes - hire a boat on the creek to take you up and down the waterway, visit the gold souk, go to the museum for a glimpse into the brief history of dubai (can't remember the name, it's not the one in the article). Our first day we took an open top double decker "get on and off" narrated tour bus. Worthwhile, good scenary and a good overview soon after arrival. We liked staying at Jum. Beach Hotel and had a beautiful first day there - lovely shaded cabanas, attendants who served us a very nice lunch, camels going up and down the beach available to ride if you wish. There are a number of good hotels on that beach, we preferred staying out at the beach rather than staying in the city. We went to the mall which has designer stores and the best of the best - be sure you use the ladies room (for a small fee) - makes Harrod's Luxury Bathroom seem like an outhouse! We also went to a gigantic mall with a grocery store on the 2nd or 3rd floor and an escalator that accomodates grocery carts. Dubai is over the top. You asked about the Burj al Arab Hotel - we could only get a reservation at what they referred to as their "economical restaurant" which was a buffet on the ground level. I think it was US$75 per person. It turned out to be quite lovely - magnificent seafood - a silver platter with a mammouth amount of cracked claws from the biggest lobsters imaginable. We had a table outside poolside and it was a fine experience (inside decor was baren, not to our tastes), we talked to the waitstaff and management about their lifestyle in Dubai and about the types of guests who stay in this rather bizare hotel. Enjoy!

If you haven't already deposited, your agent can request an air deviation for free and you use Cunard air. They do have hotel space in Dubai. If you have deposited and have not deviated your air with Cunard, they will now charge you an air deviation fee. The free deviation must be done at the time of deposit. What an agent should do, is upon making deposit, is transfer immediately to Air/sea.

Try as I did, I could not beat Cunard air pricing... at least from the US.

One note on Dubai: for most US airsea passengers debarking there, because of flight schedules, Dubai is a forced overnight.. at Cunard's expense.

we could only get a reservation at what they referred to as their "economical restaurant" which was a buffet on the ground level. I think it was US$75 per person.

That's economical ;) ? Given that you apparently can't just walk in and have a look, I'd say it borders on extortion! "Well, yes, you can see our internationally-famous hotel, but you have to pay $75 per person for dinner first..."

In all seriousness, Dubai has always interested me - the sheer outlandishness of the place must be quite an experience! (Admittedly, I guess the same could be said of Las Vegas, and I've never really wanted go there...)

We now have double-daily service on Emirates from JFK, with connections to East Asia, India, and Australia/NZ. Those are all places I've wanted to visit but never have, so whenever I do head in that direction perhaps I'll take a little Dubai stopover. I'd probably even bite the bullet and pay $75 to eat at the Burj, though only to gain access to the hotel :) ...

That's economical ;) ? Given that you apparently can't just walk in and have a look, I'd say it borders on extortion! "Well, yes, you can see our internationally-famous hotel, but you have to pay $75 per person for dinner first..."

In all seriousness, Dubai has always interested me - the sheer outlandishness of the place must be quite an experience! (Admittedly, I guess the same could be said of Las Vegas, and I've never really wanted go there...)

We now have double-daily service on Emirates from JFK, with connections to East Asia, India, and Australia/NZ. Those are all places I've wanted to visit but never have, so whenever I do head in that direction perhaps I'll take a little Dubai stopover. I'd probably even bite the bullet and pay $75 to eat at the Burj, though only to gain access to the hotel :) ...

Did you get a chance to look at the web site? The hotel looks like a giant sailboat from outside!

And don't forget Wali Wadi's water world!

It is such an incongrous site! Reminds me of something from either Carl Hiaassen or Chevy Chase family vacation at Wallyworld!

Well, I guess when you have some of the wealthiest people in the world, you can build ostentatious hotels with push button (remote control) drapes and exteriors that are ready to sail away!

<Sigh> Ahh, to be one of the wealthiest individuals in the world!

Did you get a chance to look at the web site?

Oh yes - not today, but have seen it before. It's quite excellent, with loads of 360-degree virtual tour images etc. The extravagance of the place just blows me away... The whole thing looks very different from what we are used to in luxury hotels in the US and Europe.

Archived