Cyber/Internet Security

taxare

I really don't mean to be a Scrooge.... Especially around the holidays its a good time to think about all those bad people out there that love to hack or other fraudulent activities that can cause great pain for us. I think its wonderful that we are all learning from and enjoying posters on current voyages. Its fun, entertaining and informative since we aren't on that particular voyage. However, please be careful about posting too much personal information, such as where you live, your significant others name, etc. While many of our posters know each other and have sailed together there are new posters or lurkers that are looking for a slip-up. If someone is away for a month and they have given up too much personal information they may be a target. The recent thread about Jewelry is interesting and helpful, but I would suggest there are a lot more bad people stealing with computers. If you see new posters that are overly gratuitous, looking for private email accounts, or other contact points please be cautious. I wish all of you a wonderful, happy and healthy holiday season and enjoyable sailings!!!!

Agree about posting personal "stuff" on social media, but want to add that Regent's internet is quite insecure (there are warnings that appear periodically). There are ways to insure better security but that takes more technical expertise than I have. After 1 fairly recent Regent cruise I was receiving 25-50 spam messages per day. What a pain!

Edited by Travelcat2

Taxare -- Point well taken. My wife has a very active Facebook page. In all our travels, she never mentions anything about a trip until after we return. Then photos and posts galore. Also, in our cars, the navigation system only shows our city and street. Not the address. It's a shame that's it's all come to this, but that's the reality.