New to cruises

aimless&andy

My family and I will be travelling back to the US after some years of living in the UK in spring 2007. We wanted to go home in style and of course thought of the QM2! Using it as a true transatlantic crossing (ie, actually needing to get from the UK to the US) appeals to me on so many levels! (if any of you have spent 7 hours on a plane with a two year old, you can appreciate at least one of the reasons!)

We will be travelling with two small dogs and an ACTIVE 3 year old boy. We have travelled quite extensively, but have never been on a cruise. Any advice about travelling with pets or kids would be greatly appreciated. Will we be able to enjoy everything on board even with a child and two dogs in tow?!

Any suggestions of good websites for cruise "virgins" or specifically for the QM2 would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

A "crossing" is a different experience than a "cruise". Your idea to come home via ocean liner rather than via air sounds totally civilized. We've not sailed QM2, however we have sailed QE2 a number of times in the last few years, the first trip being a TransAtlantic - 6 glorious days and nights. Mary, like Elizabeth, should have a good nursery and staff on board to keep your active little 3 year old busy. On QE2 you can also "hire" baby sitters in your stateroom for evenings. You'll arrive back in the states "relaxed" and "revitalized" rather than frazzled if you take one of the Cunard Queens home, the only 2 ocean liners in existence. And no luggage restrictions!

Hi,

I haven't traveled with either kids or pets so can't comment specifically.

But I think you might be surprised by the number of people doing exactly the same as you. We've always met people doing this. On three of our four crossings we've had people at our table using the ship as a means of transport.

"two dogs in tow" They won't really be. They'll live in the kennels, not your cabin, and have their own excercise area. On QE2 they used to have a lamp-post and a NY fire-hydrant, not sure about QM2.

QM2 has a world cruise planned for spring 2007, have you checked dates yet?

Regards, Colin.

Thanks for your advice! It certainly sounds like a family-friendly way to cross and certainly more civilized than an aeroplane! We have not checked dates, yet, but we are certainly flexible with our dates so we will just have to see.

Any advice about cabins? Is it worth it to splash out on a balcony? Does anyone have any info about the atrium rooms? Is there actually enough room on the balconies to sit and watch the world go by?

So many questions, and it is still over a year away. I guess anticipation is half the fun!

Archived