Xpedition - Just returned from 12/4/05 sailing

SandyR5

Sleaffy - Just like all cruises, this is a cashless trip. You are issued a card which is your doorkey/credit card. IF you make a purchase, and basically the only purchases you can make would be from the little gift shop OR having a massage, you just use your card and you settle the last day. My husband had a massage and tipped the gal in cash. Otherwise, put your wallet away.

You return from the mornings excursions about 11:30. We just usually sat on deck 4, had a drink and waited for the outdoor lunch which began at 12:00. After lunch some people go up to deck 6 where the lounge chairs are out and read or nap. A few people use the hot tub, but that's generally used when they return, shivering from snorkeling! The bar waiters will bring you hot spiked coffee while up there. There are games to take and a wonderful library to borrow books from. Some return to their staterooms for resting. Your afternoon excursion generally starts about 4:00 so you do have some time.

:) :) :) :) :)

I just returned from the Dec. 18, 2005 cruise and I agree with everyone's postings. This is a trip not to be missed. I did post some messages on the thread entitled: Galapagos! Anyone recently back!

I just couldn't resist hitting both threads to praise the ship, the crew, and most of all, the Galapagos Islands. What a great place to visit!

Do take bug repellant, as I wrote in one of my postings: You will need it on any island where the sea lions are prevelant. And yes, I agree with the posting about taking precautions from the sun: I am not usually one to burn, but the weather has changed and I found my arms and shoulders getting quite sunburned.

Smooth sailing! You will love this trip!

Greetings Sandy,

January 1st marks three weeks since our Xpedition experience ended (Dec 11, 2005). Can we ever feel like we have had enough? I think not.

Re: Best time to visit? We had done extensive inquires into this exact question before we booked in Dec 2004. After careful consideration, mid-November through late December were our best estimates for dry, warm (not hot) weather. So we booked for early Dec 4th - Dec 11th 2005. I asked our naturalist, Rod, what his favorite time to be on the islands was that would be different from our dry December weather and Rod said that his second choice would be late April - early May, towards the end of the rainy season when the greenery would be abundant on the islands.

Re: Snorkeling - I am still in recovery after a jelly fish sting on my calf the last snorkel trip of our week. Today (I waited three weeks to visit the doctor) my internist prescribed heavy duty antibiotics to treat the infection I got from the jelly fish sting. My calf looks pretty ugly. My fault for not getting into the Dr sooner. I wish I had had a full wetsuit on that morning instead of the shorty I was wearing. I'm just glad it didn't sting the top of my scalp, or get down my neck, etc. But my "war wound" is insignificant in comparison to the wonderful snorkeling experiences I shared with our fellow cruisers on the Expedition.

Greetings to Lynne & Wayne, snorkeler Sandy, Vincent and Michael, Mark, Ivy, Jerry and Sylvia, Ann & Keith, Vicky and John, Jim and Pat, and everyone else from our week. It was truely amazing.

I will be talking as fast as I can to convince my DH Doug to do this adventure again. Does anyone have any suggestions of other adventure trips that we could investigate that would be as far out and as luxurious as the Expedition???????

Let me know,

Marta

mjarens@comcast.net

Greetings Sandy,

I will be talking as fast as I can to convince my DH Doug to do this adventure again. Does anyone have any suggestions of other adventure trips that we could investigate that would be as far out and as luxurious as the Expedition???????

Let me know,

Marta

mjarens@comcast.net

Marta - We've done a couple of terrific adventures... the Polar Bears in Churchill, Manitoba and watching the grizzlies catch salmon in Brooks Falls (Katmai Nat Park in Alaska). Neither one wa luxurious, but they were both something to remember. We did the grizzlies prior to an Alaskan cruise. The trip to see the Polar Bears was not in conjuction with a cruise.

We have Tahiti-Hawaii booked for August 2006. Now we're thinking about doing the Gapapagos cruise in 2006 or 2007 instead. Any thoughts on that from anyone?

Cathy - Hawaii and Tahiti are magnificent, BUT, you won't see anything, anywhere in the world, to match the Galapagos. You can always go to a gorgeous beachy area, but how many places do you know where you will be stepping over sea lions and watching carefully so you don't step on any "living rocks". You can snorkel with turtles elsewhere, but not with the sea lions also dancing around you. The birds, the iguana, the penguins...etc. are just awesome. This is the one. Save the others for afterwards.

Cathy - Definitely NOT the 11 day. No need to be in Quito longer. I'm not sure how you would book the 7 day and get to the ship, but I would consider it depending on cost. Quito was nice to visit, but not really necessary in my opinion. Actually, I would have loved to fly home after we got off the ship. I really think the Quito part just helps out the flights. I would imagine if you booked a 7 day, you would have to fly to Guayaquil (sp?) and stay in a hotel the night before to be ready to meet the plane from Quito. It might cost as much as doing the 10 day. I really am not sure about the costs involved. It WAS fun to be at the equator though. :)

We were given the e-ticket receipt for the flight Quito-Galapagos-Quito. It cost Celebrity $400 each. That's probably a group rate. It would probably be more if you bought the ticket yourself. Plus it costs $100 pp to go to enter Galapagos Islands National Park. So that's $500 of the trip cost right there. There was a honeymooning couple from Caracas on our sailing and they had just bought the cruise and done all their own air/hotel arrangements. I don't know what they paid or how they worked it. I know our airfare from KC-Quito-KC was $775 each if we had bought it separately.

I just spoke with Celebrity about doing the 7-day, and not the 10 day. We would have to get our own air from SFO to Quito and from Quito to Baltra. However, if we use "Celebrity air", they will do all of the air arrangements, including all fees. So, the air cost for us R/T SFO would be $949pp, which sounds ok.

The total cost for both of us doing the 7-day, using Celebrity air, is about $1000 less than doing the 10-night. And, we would still have to buy air from SFO to Quito if we did the 10-night.

So, I think the 7-day is the way for us to go. But we would probably need to fly into Quito a day early just to be safe. Now we have to look at hotels in Quito! Anyone know which hotel Celebrity uses there?

We're looking at Nov 26 or Dec 10. Don't know if one date would be better than the other. Dec 10 is $100 more pp than the Nov 26 date.

I was thinking about this trip - but after reading these glowing reviews, and the *very* informative website over at http://www.galapagosxpedition.co.uk (recommended above) I am now dying to go.

Any other single females looking for a roommate? My usual travel partners aren't into this trip and it is too expensive to go solo.

Happy New Year everyone!

Hi - Celebrity uses the Marriott and it is a lovely hotel. When we went to the market, in town, there was a very nice looking hotel across the street. I think it was a Hilton, but not sure. I'm sure others will offer their help. Several guests came early, on their own, and stayed at the Marriott.

CSloan - I recommend that you NOT do the 7 day. There are too many potential problems that you can/will run into. Like what you ask? First, try to book a flight on TAME from the U.S. You can't! Our flights to/from Quito/Baltra were full. You have to book from South/Central America. You would be responsible for getting everything/everyone to/from the ship. Assuming you arrange to get your TAME tickets, you have to get your luggage to/from the airport on your own, you have to stand in line and check your luggage and get your boarding passes at the airport, etc. If you let Celebrity handle this part of it (10 day), you don't worry about your luggage anywhere (Celebrity handles it), you get your boarding passes in the Marriott before you leave for the airport, you get your boarding passes in the Baltra airport from one of the naturalists, not from TAME, etc. I could go on, but I have to say that Celebrity does the 10 day 100% right. How's your Spanish? If you do the 7 day, you should be pretty proficient in Spanish because I think you'll need it.

You can book the 7 day trip, but do you want to risk missing the ship? Also, you'll actually have to spend 10 days anyway (counting the way that Celebrity does). You have to fly down a day early because the flight to Baltra leaves at 730 am from Quito. You could book to Guayquil and pick up the flight there, but it leaves there about 9 am. You can't get to Guayquil from the US on the same day obviously. Note: Most flights into Ecuador arrive in the evening. Coming back to the U.S. you will pick up a flight from Baltra about 10:30 or 11 am (I can't remember the exact time). You arrive Guayquil 90 minutes later. But, most flights back to the U.S. leave in the morning, so you will have trouble catching a flight the same day (I won't say you can't, but ...).

For me (and I think I speak for most others who have been on the 10 day cruise), you'll spend the same amount of time (10 days, not 7) on a 7 day cruise and will have a lot more hassles/worries than letting Celebrity handle everything. You may save a couple of bucks, but I'll take the 10 day with Celebrity everytime. My Spanish is pretty decent, but I'm on vacation (a vacation with no hassles/worries is much more enjoyable). One more thing - Celebrity handles everything on this trip MUCH better than any cruise I've ever been on (9 cruises total including 2 other Celebrity cruises). All cruise lines (including Celebrity) should handle cruises the way the Xpedition 10 day cruise is handled!!! But, I have to say I don't know how you would do this with a ship that holds over 3000 passengers :rolleyes:

Dave

:) :) :)

Hi

We did the Nov 13th sailing - absolutely wonderful experience. My review is posted elsewhere on the boards (it was on Page 4 - posted Dec 27th).

I have been receiving lots of compliments regarding my photos - especially the wildlife.

These links to my pictures may work for you.... on Webshots. The first set is Quito, scenery, botany and ship -- the second set is people, birds and animals. As you enter the site, click on the title of the show, then on view slideshow and set the time for each picture. There should be a title and caption visible with each one.

If it does not work, post your e-mail and I'll switch to plan B.

Cheers - Happy New Year

Les

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=515866507&security=TzHnJf

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=517224949&security=hlUKSb

I think the 7-day is the way for us to go. But we would probably need to fly into Quito a day early just to be safe. Now we have to look at hotels in Quito! Anyone know which hotel Celebrity uses there?

Celebrity uses the JW Marriott in Quito which is an outstanding property. If you do the 7-day, I highly recommend that you let Celebrity book your RT Quito to Baltra flights on TAME, and that you definitely arrive one night prior to the flight to Baltra. The reason I say this is because other cruise lines and tour groups book group tickets on TAME...and there aren't that many daily flights. I know two pax who made their own reservations trying to save $$ and ended up getting bumped from the flight to Baltra at the Quito airport because TAME claimed to have overbooked. It's easier (safer) to let Celebrity do this for you. If you miss the flight, you miss the ship. There's no way to catch up at the next port on this vacation.

Our plan is to do the 7-day, with Celebrity still handling all of the air and transfers. Before I book, I'll confirm that with them again. The way I understand it, we would need to get there a day early. We stay one night on our own, then meet up with the rest of the Cruise folks the next morning for the Celebrity flight to Baltra. So, we would still be on the Celebrity "group" flight. Celebrity said the flight one day prior is not a problem. We're not interested in the Quito tour, and this saves us about $1,977. The only thing I still need to clarify is the last day. I have to find out how Celebrity handles the the last day.. would we need to spend another night at the end of the cruise in Quito, or can we fly back the same day?

Dave - it sounds like your advice is as if we were doing the air on our own.

Les - I couldn't open the pics either.

I agree with Dave about taking the 10 day trip, if you can afford it. Celebrity makes the entire transportation process so easy . They also inlcude dinners and breakfasts at the hotel Marriott, which is a beautiful 5 star place. One couple on our trip decided just to do the cruise. Their planes were delayed, and the ship sailed. They missed the frist 2 days of the cruise.

One thing to note: if you do take the 10 day package, think twice about going on the all day tour, the day after you arrive. The traffic (maybe because of the holiday) was just terrible and we seemed to be on the bus more than we were off the bus. By the time we got to the crater and ate lunch it was 2:30 PM and the crater was filled with fog! I would have rather spent the morning touring and the afternoon in the pool or hot tub at the hotel. Many passengers did exactly that: they hired a cab, went to the churches and markets in the morning, and came back to the hotel for a relaxing afternoon.

Well, we haven't booked yet... so, now we're thinking about the 10-day. It's a lot more $$, but it may be worth the peace of mind. I guess we'll sleep on it. I appreciate all of the comments, both for and against the 7 or 10 day.

One of the reasons we didn't want the 10-day is the City tour. We're not crazy about "tour bus" tours. But, I suppose we could do something on our own.

How long is the flight from Quito to Baltra?

When you do the 10 day, once you get your luggage and enter the departure area, you become royally treated. You are wisked away, a few people at a time, not having to wait for everyone, and brought to a van, handed a bottle of water and brought to the hotel where you are already checked in. You are handed a warm towel and a cold drink. You are given your keys and that's it. The next morning you have a wonderful breakfast and do the tour...if you wish. (I think we would have enjoyed just relaxing in the hotel and/or a short private tour.) You have dinner back in the hotel, (paid for again by Celebrity), sleep and wake up early for another wonderful breakfast. Your luggage is collected for you and you depart for the airport. NO HASSLES AT ALL. My comment about wishing we could go home after the ship was because it was such an incredible experience, going to the hotel and market just was a bit of a letdown. We were on such a high after the ship...and tired. :) Nobody on our sailing did the 7 day...as far as I know.

Flight from Quito to Baltra makes an intermediary stop in Quayaquil. Flight from Quito to Quayaquil is about 20 minutes. There is a 25 minute layover before the 1 hour 20 minute (approx) flight to Baltra.

Return flight follows the same routing.

Our plan is to do the 7-day, with Celebrity still handling all of the air and transfers. Before I book, I'll confirm that with them again. The way I understand it, we would need to get there a day early. We stay one night on our own, then meet up with the rest of the Cruise folks the next morning for the Celebrity flight to Baltra. So, we would still be on the Celebrity "group" flight. Celebrity said the flight one day prior is not a problem. We're not interested in the Quito tour, and this saves us about $1,977. The only thing I still need to clarify is the last day. I have to find out how Celebrity handles the the last day.. would we need to spend another night at the end of the cruise in Quito, or can we fly back the same day?

What are you being quoted for the cruise only? I can't imagine what the $1977 is for. As I recall, when I looked into the cruise only the least expensive cabin was $2100 for a December sailing. You could Priceline or use points to stay at the Marriott with everyone else to save some money and use FF miles for the ticket to Quito. But there is no getting around the $400 for the flight from Quito to Galapagos and back and the $100 for park entry. You might wnt to recheck your calculations. I'm usually a do-it-yourself traveller but for this trip it made sense to let Celebrity take care of everyting for a fair price.

Archived