Xpedition - Just returned from 12/4/05 sailing

SandyR5

I've been enjoying all of the posts.

Thank you to everyone.

A question: The "brochure" price...that I might find on the Celebrity Website....what exactly does it include? Airfare? If so, from where to where?

Another Question: Have any of you had four to a cabin?

Thanks.

Meg - have a wonderful trip...we'll look forward to the review!

Boo's Mom - on Celebrity's website, pricing is given for 7, 10 and 11 day trips (all are for 7 days of cruising from Sunday to Sunday and the extra days for the 10 and 11 day trips are spent in Quito). If you book the 10 and 11 day ones, air fare from Quito to the Galapagos (Baltra Island) is included. Airfare between your home town and Quito is optional and can also be priced on the website.

Billnbobbi - In the first post at the top of page 5, I asked about balcony vs OV ... if you scan thru subsequent posts you'll get some good info on cabin choices.

Roland: From AA's website, I chose the shortest flights (8+ hrs each way) My plans aren't yet finalized, but this is what looks best for flights -

From Toronto to Quito - YYZ #1011 at 11:56 am, thru Miami # 967 Arrive Quito (UIO) 8:22 pm

Return: UIO # 932 at 8 a.m., thru Miami #1562 - arrive YYZ 4:45 pm.

Pricing in November is approx $1860 US$ (for 2 people).

Roland: From AA's website, I chose the shortest flights (8+ hrs each way) My plans aren't yet finalized, but this is what looks best for flights -

From Toronto to Quito - YYZ #1011 at 11:56 am, thru Miami # 967 Arrive Quito (UIO) 8:22 pm

Return: UIO # 932 at 8 a.m., thru Miami #1562 - arrive YYZ 4:45 pm.

Pricing in November is approx $1860 US$ (for 2 people).

Found it! The flight times are a bit different in June. We booked this so long ago (last February) that Celebrity wasn't interested in talking about air deviations yet. We're looking for Business Class. Me and my legs don't get along well with Economy on long flights. Looks like the cost is about US$2250. Time to rattle Celebrity's chain on this. Thanks for the information.

It's important to remember when you book flights this far in advance that there's a very good chance that the airline will change the flight (actually change the flight numbers) before you fly. It's happened to me almost everytime I've booked six months in advance (including our Galapagos trip in November). The airlines are supposed to notify you, but they don't always. Most of the time the changes aren't very significant, i.e. the flight times change by 10 or 15 minutes. But, sometimes they change the type of plane they're using. In this case the airline assigns you different seats, and the seats you so carefully picked out for the long flight aren't yours anymore. But, if you find out in time, you can still get good seats. Make sure you get the 6 letter record locator for your reservations, then you can go onto the airlines web site (I do this ALL the time for American Airlines since I fly a lot on business) and change your seats.

Dave

:) :) :)

To Boo's Mom - you asked about 4 to a room...we had 3 in our room and were reasonably "comfortable". I referred back to the Celebrity brochure and from what I can see there are 4 cabins on Deck 3 that will accomodate 3 passengers. The large suite on Deck 5 would probably hold 4.

As for 3 to a room...there are 2 twin beds and a drop-down bunk that is perpendicular to the twins. I don't recall seeing any evidence of a 4th bunk possible.

If I can find a photo, I'll forward it.

No shots required. Just be smart in keeping your hands washed and don't eat it in Quito unless its burned or peeled.

The tour buses in Quito and the ship both have hand sanitizers...by the door on the buses and on the aft of the ship where you return from excursions.

We had no problems eating anything on the ship.

Would also suggest using only bottled water when in Quito for brushing teeth, etc. And avoid ice in drinks - my husband says it's a good reason for drinking beer. We also carried small bottles of Purell or other hand sanitizing gels for use in public bathrooms, etc. and a small package of Chlorox wipes for wiping down suspect items (like doorknobs, etc.). This may sound like paranoia but as one who did get sick in Quito...well worth it (note: I traced my sickness to forgetting about the ice in drinks :( )

Roland4, when in June are you going on the cruise. My husband and I are flying out of Toronto on June 2 to take the cruise that starts June 4. I'll be celebrating my birthday on the Xpedition. What a great birthday present!

Roland4, when in June are you going on the cruise. My husband and I are flying out of Toronto on June 2 to take the cruise that starts June 4. I'll be celebrating my birthday on the Xpedition. What a great birthday present!

We are on the week of the 18th - 25th, arriving in Quito the 16th. We booked it last February when we were on Vision of the Seas. I just booked our flights with Celebrity today. American Airlines both ways.

Nice birthday present! Ours will be a late anniversary celebration. Our 25th is the end of May.

We are on the week of the 18th - 25th, arriving in Quito the 16th. We booked it last February when we were on Vision of the Seas. I just booked our flights with Celebrity today. American Airlines both ways.

Nice birthday present! Ours will be a late anniversary celebration. Our 25th is the end of May.

Hi Roland, Did Celebrity book the AA flights that you asked for? If so, just wondered how Celebrity's pricing was compared to booking directly with AA.

thanks!

Hi Roland, Did Celebrity book the AA flights that you asked for? If so, just wondered how Celebrity's pricing was compared to booking directly with AA.

thanks!

Interestingly Celebrity came back with the EXACT same flights I wanted without my prompting. In fairness though, the Res agent knew it was my own booking (I'm a TA) so maybe she was being nice. Anyway, we didn't get the return flights with the 7 hour layover in Miami. The total cost for Business Class air through Celebrity was just under US$3400 each. This includes the Quito/Baltra/Quito air which, having flown TAME three years ago, is NOT Business Class! Don't get me wrong though, TAME is one of the nicer small airlines we have flown. In case you didn't know, it is part of the Ecudorean military. Believe me, it left on time. The flight out of Quito is kind of interesting. It takes off and immediately starts its descent!! Takes some getting used to.

With maybe one exception, we took all of the High-Intensity excursions thinking that we would see animals living in their natural habitat and 'close up and personlal'. We weren't disappointed but towards the end of the trip, we opted for one low-intensity excursion and were just as pleased with what we saw. In fact, many passengers who did not take the high-intensity excursions reported seeing an array of different animals (from the zodiac), than what we saw on land. We liked the exercise which the high-intensity usually provided, and with all the eating that we did onbaord, it was at least one way to use up some calories. However, if that is not your concern then you should feel comfortable with any of the excursions, regardless of intensity. I think it's a matter of timing, as to what one might see on land or at sea at a particular time. No one seemed disappointed with their excursions as they are all amazing. One thing for sure, on the high-intensity hikes, the only thing that I consider 'high', is the fact that sometimes, these hikes are on very rocky paths and you really do have to concentrate going from rock to rock for a period of time. Be sure to have good fitting sandles or sneakers, so to avoid your risk of falling. Other than that, they are not difficult and amount to no more than a long walk.

For what it's worth- We used Celebrity's Custom Air (which is free for Captains Club),and selected American Airlines. AA had their Nov. 2006 flights up last week so we picked the early flight out of Miami for an extra $59.00. Figured it was worth it to arrive at 8:30PM. Then we got the early flight out at the end.

Also, you can find the price on Celebrity's website.

Jim

Jim - What exactly is custom air? Does that mean you can tell celebrity which flights you want? If it's free, why did you have to pay $59?

I am new to the Celebrity boards but not to CC. Having just paid my deposit on the Dec.10th sailing, I can hardly contain my enthusiasm. Thanks to all of you who have so kindly shared your experiences so that I and others like me can benefit from your experience.I have devoured every posting on Galapagos.

I also live in Toronto and am concerned about getting there. I have just found out that I cannot use my Areoplan points as neither Air Canada nor its partners flies to Quito. I will be in touch with my TA this week to find out what the best flight arrangement choice will be for me. Have you found any price difference between Celebrity arranged or self made reservations? What if any are the pitfalls of doing it myself.

Thanks

Fran

Hi - We used ff miles so I can't tell you the difference between Celebrity air and the cost if you book yourself, but...If you book the flights to Quito from your home airport and back to your home airport from Quito, Celebrity will include all transfers and internal flights (flights to/from Quito/Baltra). So...check the price of flying from Toronto to Quito roundtrip on your own and then find out what Celebrity charges. Compare and take the cheapest. You just tell your travel agent or Celebrity directly, which flights you will be on and they'll be waiting for you. (Most of the people on our trip flew American Airlines with the Miami connection so check Toronto to Miami/Quito)

The total cost for Business Class air through Celebrity was just under US$3400 each. This includes the Quito/Baltra/Quito air which, having flown TAME three years ago, is NOT Business Class!.

Roland - $3400 US each just for air (for Business Class)? It seems very expensive??

I just spoke with Celebrity about doing the 7-day, and not the 10 day. We would have to get our own air from SFO to Quito and from Quito to Baltra. However, if we use "Celebrity air", they will do all of the air arrangements, including all fees. So, the air cost for us R/T SFO would be $949pp, which sounds ok.

Cathy - I've spoken to two reps at Celebrity who have said that with the 7 day trip there are no options for adding any air through Celebrity, but it seems that you received different info. :confused:

Roland - $3400 US each just for air (for Business Class)? It seems very expensive??

It does seem that way, but the price for the YYZ/UIO/YYZ with AA was US$2300 and I believe the TAME flights cost somewhere in the neighbourhood of US$400 each. Throw in the "cost" of the transfers and it seems reasonable. We normally will book our own air for less exotic cruises, but for trips like this I prefer to use the line's air. I can't get a straight answer on transfers at UIO for independent air either, so I'm willing to pay something of a premium to ensure we get where we're supposed to go when we are supposed to be there.

Archived