Family of 5 in 2 separate rooms

tsb

My husband and I had to register for separate rooms because an adult had to be in each room. We were told by Princess that we could switch. I didn't think about them issuing cards with pictures and charging options. How is the best way for my son and I to switch ID's/keys? When does this need to be done?

Hi, tsb,

We have found that the purser's desk is the best place to handle the change in cards. You can ask the agents at the pier when you check in, but they usually refer you to the purser's desk or try to do it and bungle it. (There is always a line at the purser's desk on embarkation day, so we often skip this task 'til after lunch.)

The trick is: Your picture card needs to be re-keyed to mom and dad's room. Your son's picture card needs to be re-keyed to the kids' room. You and your husband will probably want key cards to access the kids' room. Re: charge privileges, you can tell them to give your kids privileges or not.

Make sure you introduce the kids to the cabin steward and clue him/her into the change and any special requests re: caring for the kids' cabin. Specifically mention your kids ages and interest in receiving the daily kids program schedule (some stewards forget about bringing the daily programs for the kids without a reminder). Your room will be set with twins when you arrive.

Have a wonderful time!

My husband and I had to register for separate rooms because an adult had to be in each room. We were told by Princess that we could switch. I didn't think about them issuing cards with pictures and charging options. How is the best way for my son and I to switch ID's/keys? When does this need to be done?

Once onboard just go to guest services and request an extra key card for each stateroom. It won't having charging privledges tied to it nor will it be ID but you'll be able to get into the staterooms with it. Someone in each cabin will just have to carry 2.

As one post indicated, your card won't have a photo,

However, when you get your card at check in, as you board the first time, they will take a photo associated with the card you initially get issued.

So when you switch keys make sure the new key is associated with the photo taken of you when you boarded, because that photo will be displayed each time you reboard.

We do exactly what cjskids stated and never had a problem with it. They even write the room number on the extra key and usually give you a key card that is a different color than your ID key card. It just means that one person in each room must carry 2 key cards - the ID card( which you use to leave the ship and make purchases) and the extra room key card.

tonyt

I would call your TA and/or Princess and have them switch the cabin to the way you want it before you sail. We are a family of 4 sailing in 2 seperate cabins in August. My TA booked DH and I in one cabin and my son and daughter in another with a note that it's a chaperoned cabin. Funny thing, I didn't ask her to do this and we want to switch it so I am in with my daughter and DH with my son. If I ever left my teen son and preteen daughter in a cabin together they would kill each other. I wouldn't have minded it if it were a connecting cabin but none are available on the Crown.

Archived