Fascination Questions???

jkubec

Seems that people either love this boat or hate it. Can anyone let me know specefics if you have been on the boat in the past 2 months or so. We are going to be on it 1/9/06. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I was on this boat in June and really had a good time.

Specifics? I've stayed in some of the best resorts in the world and the service was on par with many of them.

Comfortable beds, decent food, 1980s decor.

Honestly, I can't think of one negative thing HOWEVER, I went on this cruise knowing that I wasn't boarding the QE2.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

Just overall - the ship was in great condition. If I didn't know any better, it didn't look that old, aside from the decor that's a tiny bit dated.

As far as service goes, it was the same as any other cruise on Carnival I've been on. They do have the new down comforters, which are AWESOME. The room was fine. Absolutely nothing stands out in my mind as anything of concern.

Definitely go to the Piano Bar. Mark, who was there when I was there, was going home to NY on Monday like the rest of us, so there'll be a new person there. It's VERY fun either way. The band in Passage to India is GREAT, though they seemed to take breaks at odd times (like when EVERYONE was on the dance floor). But they follow a very specific set and it closes at 1:00 am. The dance club played "club music" and when I was there, it was empty.

We had a much older crowd than I would have expected, many great-grandparents age. Weird. Couldn't figure that one out. Not too many families. Again, odd. There were a few bachelor and bachelorette parties, which was funny.

Any other questions, let me know. And have a Miami Vice (drink)!!

Roberooski

Here is my trip report from my cruise Dec 2-5. We had a blast! Just manage your expectations that you are not on the QE2 and you will have a grand time! Let them be nice to you- they will if you let them!

Lisa

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=263886

ps- buy a drink from Marvin and tell him Hi for me! (we were the ones trying to call him Issac)

We took the cruise this past weekend dec 9-12. It was over priced. They try to rip you off on everything. Don't buy water on the ship since you can buy it in the Bahamas for $1 not the $3.50 plus tip that they charge. The service was poor. Our steward would not help when we asked for new pool towels. The note says we would get fresh ones, which we had to use wet soggy towels for three days.

the food was horrible. The pizza looked like cardboard. The hot food was always warm. I never ate so many french fries in my life since it was the only thing not bad.

Purser's desk is 30 people deep and they will not help when you finally get to the front.

The clubs were bad. We are 20 something anad can dance to almost alnything. I can not dance to rap constantly.

I will never ever take Carnival again.

We had a fabulous time onboard.... The service was incredible, the good quite good, and the ship is in wonderful shape.

Not sure what happened to the poster above, but you could always get fresh towels poolside if your steward lacked. I would have called down to the pursers desk about the steward.

Also, of course bottled water onboard is so much more expensive -- you'll find that on all cruise lines.

With 2000 passangers on one ship you are going to get a variety of opinions. I was also on the 9-12 sailing, and we on the other hand were pleased with just about everything. There were a few things that I "noticed", but that was the extent of our downside.

We have sailed MANY lines and I am in a good position to compare and know the standard. We found the food good to very good. Dining room met our expectations, and on the sea day we thought the buffet was really good.

Our room stewart was also fine. Nothing over the top, but certainly did his job. Well we are in our forites, and found the extertainment good. I also noticed and commented to my husband that there was a real large range of ages on this ship, and everyone regardless of age seemed to be having fun, and that Carnival had met the needs of a very diversifed group.

You would think that we were not on the same ship!. Like I said, you are going to get a lot of different opinions. Take all the comments , including mine, with a grain of salt.

I am going on this trip on 1/30 and couldn't care if the it was the worst cruise I've ever been on. I'm still going to be on a ship. I'm not going to be in the cold and I'm going to find a deck chair and sit and read for four solid days.

Going alone, no kids, no spouse, no bosses, no co-workers, no phone, no idiots. Actually, there are always idiots on cruises. But I don't let them Harsh My Mellow.

I booked this because it was the least expensive trip available. I know I'm not getting a rock climbing wall or ice rink. As long as I have clean sheets and the boat doesn't tip over or catch fire (and there is no guarantee of that on this ship as I recall) I'm going to have a blast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone...I sailed on the Fascination 7 day southern caribbean out of San Jaun in Febuary 1998...I know that was awhile ago but I was sooo impressed with the ship...especailly the Coconut Grove restraunt...I'm positive I ate more great food than the cruisefare cost us ...many really nice bars to spend time in... the shows were great and I still look at my photos at least once a week....I would not hesitate to sail on her again...I have sailed twice on her sister ship the Paradise and loved her equally as well...:D

CCL Fascination...FEB.1998 :cool:

CCL Paradise...APR.2001 :D

CCL Paradise...MAR.2003 ;)

NCL Dawn...MAR.2006 :D

We sailed a little longer ago than you are looking for but I just wanted to toss my 2 cents in and tell you we really enjoyed our trip. Yes, it's a smaller ship. Yes, some of the decor is dated. Yes, it doesn't have the same options that the larger ships have. So what? We expected all that and had a good time availing ourselves of everything that was available. We had good service, good food, and a good itinerary, all of which made for a great cruise.

As the previous poster said, set your expectations appropriately and you won't be disappointed!

Archived