It's my first time...be gentle...

lickingsnowflakes

Ahhh. We got 5 inches of snow overnight and another 5 expected during the day today here in MN.

What a perfect day to dream about my upcoming cruise on the Jewel!

As a first-time cruiser, you can imagine that I am full of questions. Now, I know that some of these questions have been touched on in previous threads, but I would like some more information.

1. Upsells. What are they? We booked through a TA and already have a room assignment. Does that mean that we aren't qualified for an upsell? Can I change that?

2. My boyfriend is a very big guy (400+ lbs) and I want to make sure that he is not limited. Is there any situation in which he may feel uncomfortable?

3. Dress. I am a little blurry on what "resort casual" is. Can the boy get away with khakis and a polo for dinner, even in the fancier places? We are jean and tee people at heart. Is it okay to wear jeans/shorts/tees to other eaterys? During the day on the deck? Will we feel underdressed if we do?

Also, I would like to thank everyone who posts here. I have been following the threads for a few weeks and am so appreciative of all the little extra tips and tales that people share. It has really educated me on what to expect.

Looking forward to hearing back from you...

Genevieve

Newbie Cruiser

event.png

1. Upsells. What are they? We booked through a TA and already have a room assignment. Does that mean that we aren't qualified for an upsell? Can I change that?

2. My boyfriend is a very big guy (400+ lbs) and I want to make sure that he is not limited. Is there any situation in which he may feel uncomfortable?

3. Dress. I am a little blurry on what "resort casual" is. Can the boy get away with khakis and a polo for dinner, even in the fancier places? We are jean and tee people at heart. Is it okay to wear jeans/shorts/tees to other eaterys? During the day on the deck? Will we feel underdressed if we do?

1. Anyone can get an upsell. Keep monitoring prices, sometimes there can be a significant drop or short term special that you can take advantage of. But an upsell can occur in the last few weeks before the cruise. If better rooms are still available shortly before the cruise, NCL randomly offers them to existing passengers at a discount. If you booked direct with NCL, you can call thier upsell desk. If you used a TA, then the TA needs to be involved, and it's best if they call, but sometimes you do need to call yourself. The consensus seems to be that upsells open up roughly 4 weeks before the cruise, and prices get better the closer you get. But you can't predict what might be available, so always book the lowest category you will be happy with. I booked through a TA and just called NCL yesterday myself and got an upsell offer, 25 days before the cruise. They put me on hold and called my TA before finalizing the transaction.

2. Hopefully someone else can answer this.

3. My impression of resort casual is dress slacks and dress shirts, or khaki's and polo/golf style shirts for men. Sounds like jeans, shorts, and tees are okay at breakfast and lunch, but not at dinner.

Check out this thread from another "big Guy" for some helpful hints!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=265568

Yes, khakis are fine. They just don't want the t's, jeans, shorts in the dining rooms for dinner. Other than that, just be comfortable. You won't feel out of place in khakis IMO.

Have a great time on this lovely ship!

Mary

2. I'd be a little worried about getting around in the bathroom, if they are like the ones on the Dawn.

Also, it may be warm for jeans. The ships tend to be AC'd well, but going outside in 80-90 degree heat, especially since you are from the very cold north, may feel a bit hot and sweaty. I am also in the casual is comfy category, but only bring one pair of jeans on cruises, and that's usually the pair that I wear to fly to port.

3. Don't know what your itinerary is, but generally, shorts and T shirts are just fine for most of the day on NCL. Khakis and polos (or equivalent) at night, or you might feel out of place.

Since it's your first one, you might want one set of better clothes for pics.

Ahhh. We got 5 inches of snow overnight and another 5 expected during the day today here in MN.

What a perfect day to dream about my upcoming cruise on the Jewel!

As a first-time cruiser, you can imagine that I am full of questions. Now, I know that some of these questions have been touched on in previous threads, but I would like some more information.

Also, I would like to thank everyone who posts here. I have been following the threads for a few weeks and am so appreciative of all the little extra tips and tales that people share. It has really educated me on what to expect.

Looking forward to hearing back from you...

Genevieve

Newbie Cruiser

event.png

I love your "name". We have been licking a few of those lately too.

1. Pretty much covered by everyone else. Last year we got an upsell by having our TA call about 3 weeks before departure. This year we are happy with our cabin - so I am not going to bother.

2. The only problem I can think of might be the shower - they are small BUT if that proves to be an issue - there should be bigger (i.e. more normal) sized showers at the gym/workout area.

3. Evenings: for men - casual pants like dockers (no jeans) and a collared shirt of some sort (a golf type shirt is fine)

for women - casual pants and a non t-shirt top or a sundress or a skirt and blouse

in the buffet area you can wear pretty much what you want

Days: pretty much anything EXCEPT no bathing suits or bathing suits and cover-ups in the dining rooms (ok in the buffet area).

Like others I don't especially recommend jeans on tropical cruises. My husband finds light weight cotton pants more comfortable.

Have a great cruise!

Genevieve

Newbie Cruiser

[/url]

Others have responded to your other questions. As for #2, don't ask him to wear speedo swimming trunks. A man that large would look out of place in speedos. Suggest some boxer styled swimming trunks instead :D

Hi! I'm a newbie too. Hope my info can help. I also booked through a TA and had a room assignment (upcoming cruise with RCI, feb. 2006). I called her and asked if I could have an upsell. She told me that unfortunately, you can't with an assigned room. Maybe that's valid only with Sears TA or with Royal Caribbean.

Bye! Have a great cruise.

Hi! I'm a newbie too. Hope my info can help. I also booked through a TA and had a room assignment (upcoming cruise with RCI, feb. 2006). I called her and asked if I could have an upsell. She told me that unfortunately, you can't with an assigned room. Maybe that's valid only with Sears TA or with Royal Caribbean.

Bye! Have a great cruise.

I have done it with a cabin assigned. Didn't know that Royal Caribbean had upsells at all.

-Monte

The Jewel is the perfect ship for you. Almost all the seats do not have arms on the side. The only issue can be with the seats in the Stardust theatre. The seats are not that big. There are a few seats without arms.

Wendell

I finally get a chance to vent my only complaint about the Jewel. Big man, you are in trouble! I had a balcony , deck 9, and the John was a real problem. There is no side room and no leg room in front. You have to sit with your body at an angle so your legs are in the sink area. I'm 6'5 and 230 and it was tough. With no intention of being crude, it was next to impossible to wipe. It was more of a swipe and shower. The cabin steward was wondering why I was going thru all the towels. Surprisingly, I found the shower to have enough room.

Archived