Cozumel America's Cup 12 Meter Challenge

smokinmike

Gotta put a plug in for this excursion - we try to do the race each time we're on Cozumel and we always have a blast. Yesterday was particularly fun because the wind was out of the northeast at 10-15 knots, making the upwind legs very exciting. If you have ever sailed anything from a Lazer to anything bigger, this might be for you. You can grind away or just sit and enjoy. There aren't too many places in the galaxy where you have the opportunity to get behind the wheel of one of these racing beauties. If your ship puts into Punta Langosta you'll have to cab down to the office location at the International Pier - that's also where the tender picks you up for the ride out to the boats that are on mooring balls a short distance away. The crews and support staff are experienced, safety conscious, and really seem to want you to have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never done this before and am really looking forward to it. Is there something a totally inexperienced sailor can help out with?

Also, since we are on a Carnival ship, we will be docking at Puerta Maya. Does this also require us to take a cab?

Absolutely! They break everyone down into one of three categories - active, sorta active, and watching - the active stuff is grinding the winches, the sorta active is timing with a stopwatch or loading winches, and watching is . . . watching. It seems like a majority of folks have no sailing experience so I wouldn't let that stop me from trying it out. Regarding your ship - Puerta Maya is right next to the International Pier. You would walk off PM to the street, turn left, walk about five minutes, and turn left to go out to the International Pier. One thought though, there were folks on True North lV who were on a Carnival ship and the 12 Meter Challenge people picked them up by tender at PM. Maybe it's a ship excursion?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info. It is most definitely a ship's excursion, so I imagine it will either leave from close by or they will put us in vans to head to the dock. I have done both for trips out of that port, so we'll see.

I am pondering whether I should be active or sorta active. I guess it will sort of depend on how many younger people are on the boat. They maybe should be ones doing the real work!