Onboard picture copies

srussell

Hi!

Since I haven't progressed to the digital age yet I was wondering if anyone has a solution to my problem.

I purchased 2 8x10 photos while on the Caribbean Princess at a cost of $21.95 per picture.

Now that I am home everyone wants a copy. I went to a local store and used the Kodak copy machine. The copies came out perfect, however when I went to the cashier she asked to see the originals and confiscated my copies saying that they were copyrighted and that I could not make copies of the photos taken on the ship.

I guess it was a little naive of me because the copyright laws never crossed my mind.

Any suggestions on how to get copies of these pictures? Keep in mind that I am the last person in the world still using a camera that is not digital.

Thanks

Sue

Thank you both for your replies.

I went to Wal-Mart and no I did not have to pay for them. I will try the office supply store.

I knew I would get great advice.

Thanks a bunch. You have made my relatives who want copies very happy.

Happy Holidays

As a former professional photographer I understand fully the reason for copyright laws and support them, however, the photographs I purchased recently on a Princess Cruise did not have any indication of copyright printed on them and in any case, it would have been impossible to go back to Princess and purchase additional copies. I see no reason, in a case such as this, to feel guilty for making copies for family. I would suggest you scan the photograph onto a disk at at local office supply and then take it to Costco or a similar store. I had trouble making a copy of a photograph I took at a Walmart once, so maybe, they are super sensitive in this area.

As I have not been on Princess before, (sailing Golden Jan) I can not vouch for this on Princess, but on Royal Caribbean, we went to their website and got information on their photo release.

They sent us a release allowing us to copy any photos that were taken on the ship. I can not remember, but they may even have that release buried on their website. You could look and see. The clerk at the store would not likely know it is a princess ship rather than RC. :rolleyes:

The first thing I would do is see if any of my friends have a scanner. Better yet, I would recommend buying yourself one. Scanners are relatively inexpensive now(I bought mine at Circuit City on sale for about $50) and you can be pretty digitally-and electronically challenged, like me, and still use them. I have copied a lot of old, old family photos for my mom, who was thrilled, so that, in itself, is a good reason to have one. It's also great for copying and storing important family documents. You can scan photos and documents onto a disk or CD and keep them in a safety deposit box. In the event the originals get destroyed by fire, flood, etc., all is not lost.

Like another poster, I usually try to respect copyright laws, but, in this case, the company charged you $21.95 for each print, approx. 100 times what it cost to make, so I feel they have been adequately paid for their services. Besides, copyright laws are supposed to prevent you from reselling someone else's product to make a profit. You are not going to do that. You are simply copying something you purchased for your own use.

I don't think you would be doing anything wrong.

Don't we all feel so safe and secure knowing that walmart clerks are protecting us from copyright theft... my, i hope it makes them feel so powerful. Funny that most people seem to have problems at walmart andnot too many other places.

Jim

Archived