MSC Lyrica Charges

GeorgeZ

Did anyone else have a problem with 2 forced payments of charges on the Lyrica?

First, we were required to pay $250 for a personal account (drinks, etc.), and they said that, even if we don't use the credit, it's nonrefundable.

Second, we were required to pay $8 per day for 18 days (the cruise was 7 days) for obligatory tipping, meaning $144 extra.

Does anyone else think this is very unfair? Please post and let me know.

I am confused, did you just sail on the Lirica??? I certainly dont understand the reasoning behind either of these charges, how can they even ask for the $250, let alone say its not refundable if you dont use it and why would they bill you for 18 days of tipping for a 7 day cruise????

Were either of the charges credited(minus the 7 days of tipping???)

I'm assuming that you opted to pay cash, instead of using a credit card as payment for onboard expenses....

I just got off the Lirica on Saturday, and it clearly stated on the printed info that the unused portion of the deposit would be returned.

As for the $8 per diem gratuity...if you're only on a 7 day cruise, you should only be charged for 7 days.

I'm assuming that you are in the middle of the cruise...go down to reception and look for the short, black woman...I wish I could remember her name....but she is the only one who knows what is going on.

I agree, if you opted to pay cash and not use a credit card than the $250 sounds reasonable however whatever you dont use of it should be refundable.

The tipping issue I dont understand at all and in fact I plan on going to the reception desk first thing when I get onboard this Saturday and having the automatic tipping thing taken off my account and personally handing my tips to whom I feel I need and want to.

You can be skeptical all you want. I was on the Lyrica which just landed on December 10 in Ft. Lauderdale.

The $8 per day tipping charge was calculated at 18 days, even though the cruise was only 17 days. (I mistyped 7 days). My problem is that they automatically charged us when I feel a passenger should be allowed to choose whom to tip.

The same is true of the $250 cash deposit; they told us it was non-refundable.

That was my experience, and I wondered if anyone else had the same problem. It felt like extortion-- once you're on the ship, they charge you without a choice. G

I wouldn't have become skeptical........

The fact is, the daily clearly stated, EVERYDAY:

"This is of course discretionary and should you wish to make adjustments

you may do so by contacting the passenger reception desk at any point during your cruise."

And, just in case you never bothered to read the daily, they provided you with a copy of your bill the day before we got to Ft. Lauderdale and gave you yet another opportunity to have the tipping adjusted off.

The $8 a dat rate was for the Transatlantic repositioning cruise. You could adjust the rate per day but not the distrubutuion percentage of the tips, this allowed the cruise line to ensure that all those who shared in the tips got a share of the distribution. We paid the $8 a day per person per cabin, but added (on the side) a small extra tip to those we felt provided service above the call of duty. Phone cards or an extra $20 bucks for a phone card for them to call home is a nice extra gift. We found no extra unnecessary charges on our bill. We also gave our cabin crew our seabands, since we were unable to find them sets in any of the ports of call.

On 12/17 Lirica sailing the tips were $12 per day though you could adjust it to your discretion or totally remove it and handle it on own at end of cruise... Though if you choose this option be prepared w/cash... the bank charges 3% to "handle" ,,, not even exchange and travelers check and is only opened limited hours each day (sometimes just 7-9AM). No place else on ship to cash them.

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

The Auto-Tipping thing is common place these days.

You have the right to adjust the amount.....

But believe me....$8 a day in tips is not bad.....thats how the ships employees earn a living.....the cruise lines pay them pretty much nothing....they work for meals, uniforms, room and TIPS........

If you don't use a credit card to secure your onboard purchases, it is common for cruise lines to require a cash deposit.

Although I've never heard of any that are non-refundable...

They usually mail you a check.......

Someone should have informed you (perhaps your Travel Agent) about how things work onboard.....:)

Archived