Weather in South America on the Muse in Jan

TheRoadie

Typically you can plan for warm to hot weather the further North you are such as Valparaiso and Buenos Aires as it is summer there.

As you go south it becomes windy and cold with highs often in the 50's/60's but lows 40's and with the wind chill it will seem ever colder.

This is a trip where you need clothes for warm/hot weather and for cold/windy/rainy weather.

Layering is key.

A waterproof jacket is ideal and then layer below that.

Depending on excursions you do footwear can get wet/muddy so try to take two sets of footwear for the outdoors.

If you have hiking shoes (low cut) that would be one of two types I would take. If not you can be fine without it but it is a plus to have.

A hat and scarf will be good too.

I realize being in Florida you might not have all of this but having proper clothes will make those days off the ship and for that matter those days viewing scenery from the ship very nice.

Best way to view excursions is to book one or more excursions that include Penguin viewing.

If you are prone to getting sea sick bring something for that as going around the horn can be rough. I have done this itinerary several times and each time it is different. Going around the horn can range from being very round to actually very calm. You just never know and history means nothing because of the wide range of weather.

Keith

Typically you can plan for warm to hot weather the further North you are such as Valparaiso and Buenos Aires as it is summer there.

As you go south it becomes windy and cold with highs often in the 50's/60's but lows 40's and with the wind chill it will seem ever colder.

This is a trip where you need clothes for warm/hot weather and for cold/windy/rainy weather.

Layering is key.

A waterproof jacket is ideal and then layer below that.

Depending on excursions you do footwear can get wet/muddy so try to take two sets of footwear for the outdoors.

If you have hiking shoes (low cut) that would be one of two types I would take. If not you can be fine without it but it is a plus to have.

A hat and scarf will be good too.

I realize being in Florida you might not have all of this but having proper clothes will make those days off the ship and for that matter those days viewing scenery from the ship very nice.

Best way to view excursions is to book one or more excursions that include Penguin viewing.

If you are prone to getting sea sick bring something for that as going around the horn can be rough. I have done this itinerary several times and each time it is different. Going around the horn can range from being very round to actually very calm. You just never know and history means nothing because of the wide range of weather.

Keith

Thanks Keith! You are a wonderful source of cruise knowledge!

We met on Crystal years ago. Roger was lecturing. Besides concerts, his cruise lectures are his favorite adventures! This will be the third time for lectures on Silversea, our first on the Muse.

Hope to see you again!

Camilla

We’re on the Muse in January 2018 going from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. ....Anyone know the best way to view the penguins?

If you can't get up close and personal, I highly recommend 10X image stabilizing binoculars. I have a pair from Canon and I swear by them. Image stabilization is great, as is 10X.

We’re on the Muse in January 2018 going from Valparaiso to Buenos Aires. Just wondering how the weather will be and what to pack.Anyone know the best way to view the penguins?

The penguins were walking around our tour bus. Will be there again the same time you are.

Jimmy Curtis, Volunteer Point Tours. He’s the best! You can read all about him on TripAdvisor and Facebook. He’ll get you out to the penguins a good 20-30 minutes before the ship’s tour arrives and in the most comfortable vehicle. And, the price is less than the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk