Newbie needs your advice!!

grannyc

Greetings all,

Have been reading the posts so decided it was time to step in and ask my questions. Hubby and I will be celebrating our 50th anniversary next summer so have decided to take family..spouses....everyone on our very first cruise.

But oh do I have questions!! We have tentatively decided on Carnival Miracle 7 day cruise to Western Carribbean as I think there will be lots for all ages to do on shore excursions etc. There is so much I don't know about booking that it seems I keep changing my mind and am now so totally confused am at a point of just chucking it all!! (not really)

What I'd like to do is first ask about booking the cabins.....there will be 8 cabins needed and of course hubby and I will be getting a mini-suite. But to be honest I'm one of those "mothers" who feels bad if I stick all of them down on the Riviera deck with me upstairs with nice balcony etc. Never being on a ship I just don't know what to expect in terms of the various levels and which are the ones to avoid. You know how it is....one friend who is a veteran cruiser says to avoid the very bottom and stick with the middle level. Then I start adding the money up and discover I'm well over $20,000 and start panicking......am I being too picky??

Would appreciate a little advice so that I can book this cruise and give all the kids a nice Xmas present!!! They will be responsible for getting to the port and any shore excursions they want to do. Do you think this is reasonable?

Thanks for any thoughts.......this forum is really great reading and helpful for us "virgins"

Booking at least 8 caBins you will be calling the group department.

for every 8 cabins (including your own) you will get a free berth (one operson cruises free. still gotta pay port and taxes but if you are paying all that--- then gotta go for free. You will also be enititled to some amenities...maybe cabin credit --maybe a bottle of wine. But do NOT book those 8 cabins as single bookings.

Booking guarantee cabins.. if the cabins do not have to be next to one onaother then guarantee is the way to go. if they do need to be together then you will be booking set cabins. There is nothing wrong with the riveria deck--actually its one of the quietest deck around. Try to get all the cabins around the area of 1211 right by the elevators and VERY conveniently located. Being low is good also because if the ship hits bad waters..the lower the better for feeling motion--the higher you go up--the more you feel. (bigger is not always better/

since you are booking a suite for yourself-- try to get one of the corner cabins located on the back-the balcony is huge and you will not be sorry.

Granny!!! Your favorite granddaughter here :p That's so nice of you! I will be packed and ready to go. I love the Western Caribbean. I really don't care what cabin you put me in. Thank You, you really shouldn't have!

Ok, I am only kidding...we've only known each other now for moments! ;) I think that you are awesome and extremely generous! That is an incredible gift!! (Something that I really want to be able to do someday when my family is grown and gone) You and Hubby take the suite and get basic rooms for everyone else!! They are going for free!!! Never look a gift horse in the mouth, I say! (Well, someone said at one point in time) I would never dream of not being happy with whatever room I was given...for free!!! I am sure with your kindness and generousity that is coming thru with this post, you more than likely have family that will be equally as greatful!!

Make a number of calls to various agents and Carnival itself and see what kinds of deals they can hook you up with. There are always all kinds of discounts/specials that are available for various ships and sailings!!

I think that the Western Caribbean is a GREAT place to start for virgin cruising. My personal experience is that it is a smoother ride!!

Please come back and tell us your family's reaction!!! :D

Okay....already feeling better..........is the advantage to just having a guaranteed cabin versus a set cabin that you can possibility get an upgrade on the guaranteeded one? (see....told you I was a newbie...I don't know even the basics to cruising)

Also I have been working with a person at Carnival and was not told about any group department to talk to and was only told I would be getting some ammenities.......(was really hoping for one free booking!) You guys are just who I need to hear from as you all are the "true experts".........

Hey.....I'm pretty generous and if I could take you all I would!!!! Being retired one tends to be pretty frugal but you know life is short and I certainly don't mind being one of those who "I'm spending my childrens inheritence".......looking forward to spending time with my family and letting them know how special they are to us..........and for all you "young" ones out there...cherish your families......the time will go fast and one day you will be in my place wondering how in the world 50 years could go by so fast......I remember my wedding day as if it was yesterday.....the birth of my girls......weddings and grandkids.....all went by way too fast................

When someone wins a free cruise they do not get the owner's suite. Personally I like to book the balcony cabin. However, for my parent's 50th I was in an inside cabin, and for all I know I was below the water line. I didn't care, it was free and I had a great time.

Most of the time spent in the cabin is with your eyes closed. Once you fall asleep, all the cabins look the same (dark). Also, a lot of cabin time is spent in the bathroom. The bathroom in an inside cabin looks just like a bathroom in a balcony cabin.

I've actually been in all types of cabins, inside, oceanview, balcony and suite. The type of cabin does not make or break the cruise experience.

And they can always do what some people do. Buy a picture of a window looking out on a tropical island and hang it up in the room.

Hey there!

All advice so far is great.

I would say just decide if you think it's more important that these people would like to be in a certain area together, then book the specific rooms.

Or if the possibility of an upgrade is more important, no matter where they end up, then do the guarantee.

Also, you are being very generous even booking them on the Riviera deck, this way you can...

Give everybody equal rooms, and then give them the opportunity (in the card or however you present "the gift") that they can pay for an upgrade themselves if they wish.

That way everyone starts out on equal footing, and they can choose if they're happy with Riviera deck or not.

Also, as people said, personally (especially if you're in an inside room) every deck is the same. The only time it makes a difference really is for balcony rooms.

Then the other thing is just to pay attention on the deck plans that there is not a major activity center directly above or below you (pool, dance club. etc.)

Have fun!

Why not book GTYs and do it early enough so that if they want to spend some of their change to upgrade they have the opportunity. This way they are getting a cruise and have an chance to get the room of their choice.

Why though are you paying instead of them? It is your 50th they should be treating you.

My grandparents celebrated their 50th the same way. They took their three kids and their six grandchildren on a cruise. I was 15 years old, and had so much fun. They had taken us on cruises before but it was great to have my "cousins" all together. As you get older those times become so rare. My nana was so proud. She was an avid cruiser I believe we went on Celebrity Dolphin or maybe it was the SeaBreeze..I have no idea. And ate at the Captains table each night because they had been on the boat so many times. Regardless, try to plan at least one destination together but give each family time and space to themselves, you always meet up for dinner in the evenings which is a nice re-cap for the day and the shows as well.

I am a Carnival Lover. I went on the Valor last year right after its inaugural and we loved it. I have been on many lines and can honestly say Carnival is my favorite!

Good luck and Have FUN!!

Getting the free berth- you are booking 7 cabins and 1 suite.

If your 7 cabins are inside cabins or oceanviews that is the price you will get for the free berth. THe most cabins you book in any cat is what you get reimbursed.

Guarantees.. they might not be next to one another--so if you got kids going this is not what you want to do.

on some ships booking a guarantee could put you directyl across from the disco. or under the galley. you coul dbe located upfront.. (dropping anchor is very loud. yes you COULD get an upgrade..then again you COULD NOT. By reading these boards it seems that every one gets upgraded. THere is no ryme or reason to who gets them and who doesnt. to me--it seems whoever paid the most gets upgraded first.

I have never and booked my first 4 cabins as a guaranatee...and nothing--not even one deck up. today I book set cabins and know where I will be.

Booking gurantee cabins you might not know where you are til you get there.

I agree with Serene- I do group bookings every year for our family cruises. It is much better to know exactly what you are getting that way everyone knows what to expect. I have always felt this lessens the "complaining" from people that have little or no cruise experience. Also be sure to ask them about a "free cocktail party" for your group. They often will offer this especially for families and groups celebrating a special occasion. It is usually in one of the bars. There will be other groups of passengers attending. You are given snacks and some mixed drinks and soda. It usually lasts a hour. It is fun for the kids.

Good Luck and please let us all know how you made out

On my first cruise this past September we had 6 rooms booked all next to one another with extended balconys on the Verandah deck. It was so much fun being together but still having our own space. Now that I have had a taste of the balcony I could never do just a view. I loved sitting in the sun reading, drinking margarita's, writing in my journal and just laughing with my kids. Also, I got to see the sunrise and the sunsets! We always had dinner together! Your family will be grateful for whatever you give them and for the time that you spend together. Go, enjoy your family and don't stress.

GO COLTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

event.png

Cngratulations!!! 50 years is awesome! Trust me.....everyone will be so happy to be on a cruise with someone they love and are so proud of (you and spouse!!) they won't care where they sleep or where they go.

GO! ENJOY! Celebrate something that many of us only hope for! (Only 21 MORE years!) Seriously, don't worry about anything. Have a wonderful time! :)

Archived