Photo for Visa in Vietnam

mlockhart

Good Morning, I received my cruise documents from Celebrity this week. As I read through the documents, I noticed a section that stated that I needed to bring a passport sized photo for my Vietnam visa. Has anyone who cruised with Celebrity been required to provide this?

Thank you!

Our instructions from Crystal Cruises also state that we need to bring passport photos for Vietnam and 2 other countries. The visas will be done on board and the fees charged to our shipboard account.

So it looks like Celebrity has a similar procedure.

Ilene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to say that if you have a Costco nearby, they do the passport photos while you wait. It costs $4.99 for 4 photos. They make sure the photos meet the requirements of your head being 80% of the photo.

Forgot to say that if you have a Costco nearby, they do the passport photos while you wait. It costs $4.99 for 4 photos. They make sure the photos meet the requirements of your head being 80% of the photo.

Awesome, we have a Costco very near to us.

My understanding is that if you are just doing a day shore excursion, you receive a landing card. But if you are staying in port overnight, you require a picture for a VISA. Some have said that the ship photographer can take the picture while others have said they use your picture taken for your sea-pass.

Currently I don't plan on staying overnight but will take the photos just in case.

Different cruise line, but we were asked to bring two passport-size photos.

But they weren't actually requested on the ship or attached to our Vietnam visa/yellow slip/call-it-what-you-will.

Betty's post perhaps explains why.

No doubt the ship's photographer can do the honours ($$$) if you don't take photos with you, but because it's so cheap and easy in a photo-booth, visiting a Walmart or wherever is a bit of a no-brainer.

JB :)

We are in Vietnam on Azamara Journey at the moment - presently anchored in Halong Bay!

We did not require photos for the Vietnam visa. Azamara arranged the visa, and we had Vietnam landing cards delivered to our cabin the day before we arrived in Vietnam. We need to carry these around with us, every time we get off and back on the ship at our 3 Vietnamese ports over 6 days. They were stamped by an official on board as we left the ship on the first day in Vietnam and the day we leave our last Vietnamese port we need to surrender our landing cards.

I understand procedure was different for those staying ashore overnight at any port.

We were told photos would not be required for the onboard visas arranged by Azamara. I would be surprised if procedures are different for other cruise ships, but as someone else said, passport photos don't take up any space!

Thanks for the helpful information. It sounds very efficient! Would love to hear about your activities in Vietnam. Please let us know if you post a review. Have a wonderful trip!

No we did not tender to the Bai Chay Wharf. We tendered to Hon Gai - to what seems to be referred to as the old ferry terminal.

Azamara provided a shuttle into Hon Gai city, which took about 10 minutes to a drop off at the Vincom Centre. This was near the local market, the Long Tien Pagoda, the Cong Vien Hoa Halong Park, and of course the Vincom Centre, which is a large shopping mall (could be anywhere in the world!). I believe the museum is further on from the park, but we did not go up there. We walked back from this area to the ship tender. We could have done it in about 30 minutes, but it took us about 50 as we were stopping regularly for photos.

That was our second day in Halong Bay, which was really only a half day, due to early sail time.

On our first day there we did a ship's tour, which involved a 20 minute bus ride from the tender port to Tuan Chau Marina, where we caught a boat for a cruise around the bay and a stop at one of the numerous limestone caves. The time at the cave stop was about an hour and the total time sailing was about 100 minutes.

This was our second visit to the area, and our first visit was a land tour with several nights in Hanoi and a 2 night overnight extension on a junk in Halong Bay. Hanoi is a long way from Halong Bay and to be honest we did not find Hanoi that interesting to be worth such a long trip. We loved Halong Bay and were happy to have a short sail (compared to our last experience) there with some time on our own in Hon Gai.

Really the attraction of the area is the stunning scenery in the bay, but we noticed how much construction (roads, hotels) is going on, as the tourist numbers increase. Our previous visit was 4 years ago and the increased tourist numbers were very obvious. So maybe in time there will be more to do ashore in the close vicinity of Halong Bay.