What would you choose

Jeffrey1950

Hi there:

So here I am just off the Queen Mary 2 on Dec.8th after 12 days and find myself wanting to sail on her again next year. The problem is which trip do I choose....5 day to Canada in July but the there is only one sea day or the 13 day to the Caribbean in Nov. Can someone give me an insight to the 5 day cruise is it really worth the cost involved? Or would you rather wait such a long time and go in Nov. Your thoughts please !!!!

I haven't done the 5-day Independence Day voyage in July, but for my money that five day itinerary is just too short and too port-intensive for my tastes. Plus I suspect the demographics on that voyage is likely to be skewed more heavily toward a lot of other goofy Americans like me :). Of the two options you have proposed, I would opt for the 13-day Caribbean voyage in November.

Let me suggest another alternative if you haven't already considered it. I personally would pick a round-trip crossing from New York over either of those other alternatives. You get the advantage of a longer 14-day voyage combined with not having to wait until November. One possibility is the round trip crossing departing July 6 immediately after the Independence Day voyage you are considering. Of course if you are looking for something with more than one port call in Southampton, then that may not appeal to you. But as I say, that would be my choice.

Regards, John

Hi Jeffrey1950.

I think you were wondering about this before, to which you and I chatted on here, but I'm not sure how to get that info for you, or what to search on in order to pull it up. But in a nutshell..

I've been on the Caribbean. Quebec, and this July 4/Independence Day voyage. I've been on the July 4 one a few times, with the latest one being in 2017. There's actually two sea days, as the ship leaves Boston very early in the AM, so it'll list it as Boston, Boston on the itinerary.

In previous years, my experience was that once I booked that voyage, the price usually didn't go down much. I think it did in 2017, so you never know. If you look at the specials right now, it's lists inside cabin for that voyage as $1149 (USD). It also is the same price for the 7-day NYC to Quebec (or Quebec to NYC). That's a nice voyage too if you can find a way to get to/back from Quebec. Or the round trip would be nice too. Last year, I did the NYC to Quebec sector. I rented a car out of Quebec and drove it back to my home (I'm only 4 hours from there).

Would I book the Independence Day voyage again. Oh, probably because of my limited time off, and I really need a QM2 'fix'.

Other than what seems to be a higher price per day cost of that voyage, the only other 'con' I can think of when I'm considering whether to book it or not, is that the ship has a different atmosphere on that voyage, and it seems rushed. There's only two sea days, so the queues for the Queen's Tea is long and crowded (to which it may be on longer voyages too - but I don't remember that 'running to see everything' feeling on the longer voyages), and also for the Planetarium. I don't know, the ship just feels more rushed and crowded.

I think the 2019 voyage is 7 days, so that might be a nice voyage, depending on the cost.

She's a beautiful ship, and you'll have a wonderful time regardless. But unless I'm strapped for vacation time, or I love the itinerary, then for the money, I'd always choose the longer voyage with her.

I know... you're hooked. Me too. I even have spreadsheets with the 2018/2019 TA voyages and I keep looking for ways to get back on the ship. But, due to timing, cost, and a host of other things... yes, I might have to just sign up for another July 4 voyage.

Good luck. I know what you're going through.

If I might add another option there are the Fall sailings 7 or 14 days [return] New York to Quebec City, or the other way around, or both ways. I loved Quebec City and the other smaller places we stopped at for the day, along the way. I hope to do the same trip again in 2018. The 5-day July trip is also worth doing, with more of a party [restrained] atmosphere. I now see this has been covered in a previous post and I can't seem to cancel mine.

Edited by candle in the wind
Already been covered in a previous post.

Hi Jeffrey1950.

I think you were wondering about this before, to which you and I chatted on here, but I'm not sure how to get that info for you, or what to search on in order to pull it up. But in a nutshell..

I've been on the Caribbean. Quebec, and this July 4/Independence Day voyage. I've been on the July 4 one a few times, with the latest one being in 2017. There's actually two sea days, as the ship leaves Boston very early in the AM, so it'll list it as Boston, Boston on the itinerary.

In previous years, my experience was that once I booked that voyage, the price usually didn't go down much. I think it did in 2017, so you never know. If you look at the specials right now, it's lists inside cabin for that voyage as $1149 (USD). It also is the same price for the 7-day NYC to Quebec (or Quebec to NYC). That's a nice voyage too if you can find a way to get to/back from Quebec. Or the round trip would be nice too. Last year, I did the NYC to Quebec sector. I rented a car out of Quebec and drove it back to my home (I'm only 4 hours from there).

Would I book the Independence Day voyage again. Oh, probably because of my limited time off, and I really need a QM2 'fix'.

Other than what seems to be a higher price per day cost of that voyage, the only other 'con' I can think of when I'm considering whether to book it or not, is that the ship has a different atmosphere on that voyage, and it seems rushed. There's only two sea days, so the queues for the Queen's Tea is long and crowded (to which it may be on longer voyages too - but I don't remember that 'running to see everything' feeling on the longer voyages), and also for the Planetarium. I don't know, the ship just feels more rushed and crowded.

I think the 2019 voyage is 7 days, so that might be a nice voyage, depending on the cost.

She's a beautiful ship, and you'll have a wonderful time regardless. But unless I'm strapped for vacation time, or I love the itinerary, then for the money, I'd always choose the longer voyage with her.

I know... you're hooked. Me too. I even have spreadsheets with the 2018/2019 TA voyages and I keep looking for ways to get back on the ship. But, due to timing, cost, and a host of other things... yes, I might have to just sign up for another July 4 voyage.

Good luck. I know what you're going through.

I think you described it perfectly ( Queen Mary 2 fix ) that is exactly how I feel. Well, right now I am leaning towards the 13 day Caribbean but will ponder over it for a little while.....