Grand Voyages 2007: Closed Already?

MrsMuir

Today we received the 2007 Amsterdam and Prinsendam World Voyage brochure. Richard and I are interested (interested??!! I've already started dieting) in the 18-day Athens-New York leaving on April 9, 2007 (Amsterdam). I got online to see if it was on the HAL website. Well, yes. But all the verandah staterooms are already marked Closed, and all others say Guaranteed. How could this be, 16 months before sailing?

Somebody tell me it's OK so I can sleep tonight.

Mrs. Muir

(like Candy, not booked and not happy) :(

...at the Grand Voyages desk. The person I spoke with conferred with her supervisor to confirm the reason why the Amsterdam appears to be booked 16 months before sailing. Here's what she told me:

Those who book the World Voyages get first dibs on the verandah staterooms and suites. If we book a segment cruise in the C category (and pay the deposit) we can be waitlisted for a verandah stateroom if (a big if) one becomes available after the World Cruise bookings are sold. Now that I think about it, getting a balcony would be really chancey and last-minute. What if someone wanted to book the World Cruise at the last minute, and they wanted a balcony? HAL wouldn't turn them away -- they'd put the segment cruisers elsewhere. Wouldn't they?

I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions from you more experienced cruisers. In the meantime I'll take a closer look at Amsterdam's "C" category.

MrsMuir

Archived