Money in Argentina and Chile

angeleyes27

We are doing an around the Horn cruise in 2 weeks stopping in Argentina, Chile, Falkland Islands and Uraguay. Any idea of what I will need local currency for and which countries I will need local currency for? I am trying to figure out how much to get. I understand it is difficult to find ATMs and I like to have cash on hand. I am not sure if most places accept credit card. Some tour operators have said they wanted US dollars. I heard in Uraguay US dollars are widely accepted. I think Falkland Islands uses pounds but I am not sure if credit cards are acceptable. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Each country has its own currency. Credit cards are widely accepted in established businesses (stores, restaurants, etc).

We did not find ATM's hard to find in Argentina (tho we never successfully used one as they were all out of order), Uruguay, Chile or Peru.

If you are dealing on the street for tours or trinkets, local currency will get you better value. Using USD is possible but comes with a hefty premium as the vendor has to have it converted.

Same is true in the Falklands...but if you are dealing with a local vendor to go see penguins (fabulous trip!) I suggest you inquire now if they will take USD. Again, most likely they will, but there will be a premium. Credit cards can be used in Stanley but there are no atm's in the Falklands (nope, not even one).