Mythbusters on Discover Channel and Sea Sickness

Cruise Arizona

I love the show Mythbusters in the Discovery Channel.

Last night they did a test on which non pharmaceutical seasickness remidies worked and didn't for the two guys on the show that have a real problem with seasickens.

They put the two test subjects blindfolded in a motion sickness chair. Looked like they had rigged up a dental chair.

What didn't work:

pressure point wrist bands

electric shock wrist bands

under the tounge spray

What did work:

Ginger Pills

What worked for one:

Placebo

Dramamine also worked for the seasickness, but put them both just about to sleep and made them both feel very lightheaded.

The show only had two test subjects, so it is hardly conclusive, but I did find it interesting.

Also, the test did not allow for the old stand by for seasickness:Fresh air, keep moving, look far into the horizon, not the waves, because it was not on a ship.

They didn't test my new sure cure for seasickness either: Ricola Cough Drops and walk 40 times all around the ship.

I know many of us have tried all of these things at one time or another, which ones worked for you and do you think it really worked or was it a placebo effect?

I'm thinking my Ricola's were probably a placebo, but they did make me feel better.

I don't know how credible this test is if the participants were blindfolded. I know that in the case of motion simulator rides like those found in amusement parks, the visuals displayed on the screen have to be carefully coordinated with the actual movement of the simulator. If the eye/brain see visual cues that differ from the actual motion being sensed it usually results in motion sickness. I used to do some sailing and I was always told that it was better to be out in the open up on deck where you could actually see the motion of the boat so that your brain saw the same motion that your body was feeling. Staying below deck was always considered bad since there was no correlation between the motion your body felt and the visuals cues down below that you were not moving at all. A simple solution seems to be to snack on some saltine crackers as having something light in your stomach seems to ward off most symptons of seasickness.

Well I wish they would have tested Bonine. Of course everyone is different and what works for someone is not going to work for the next.

Michelle in SoCal

Mercury 4/7/06

Me too - Bonine has always worked for me. Or at least I always take one a day onboard whether or not I think I'll need it, and I have never been seasick on a cruise.:) One reason I think Bonine really works is that those video games like Grand Theft Auto make me horribly sick if I don't take anything first. If I take Bonine about 30 mins beforehand, I can play it fine with no sickness. However, if I'm already sick from playing, and THEN take Bonine, it doesn't save me.:p

All that trouble to make a "sea sickness chair"...come sailing with Jill and I...27' sloop, 5 foot seas, 20 knot winds...DON"T GO BELOW!!

Just ask Jill...:eek: Thankfully I've never experienced the problem...in time I expect I will.

Well I wish they would have tested Bonine.

I have to agree, but I use the generic - meclizine hydrochloride. Same stuff at 1/3 the cost.

One tab before bedtime and I'm good for the whole next day. I even take it before port days if there's a tender trip involved.

I tend to use the Seabands. They have been effective for me on both land and at sea. Strangely enough, I do not get seasick unless on small boats or its really really rocky (massive car sickness though). I have bought the ginger gum for this upcoming trip to try so I can report back on that. But I think I agree with others....everyone is different. The sea bands may also be effective due to that whole placebo effect. My advice...bring a whole bunch of options to see what works for you. I love Dramamine when I truly truly need it, my best friends takes Bonine. It all depends!

What works for me -- bad case, Meclazine (dramamine or Antivert)

To ward off sea sickness -- ginger pills or candied ginger.

In general for prolonged motion, like a car trip -- saltine crackers or popcorn. And don't overeat rich foods or sweets. Hard not to do on a cruise.

And oh yes, lots of fresh air. Plus, a cabin that is down low and midships. Less motion however high the sea..

On the QE2, at the door of the dining room, is a huge platter of candied ginger, very popular for indigestion in general and to ward off any sugges6tion of sea sickness. Something all ships should try.

love

joan

What is candied ginger? Never heard of it. Where do you get it? Is it like the capsule/pill?

I'm always afraid I'm going to get seasick but after 1st cruise when we took Dramamine and got so sleepy, we've never taken anything again. I think the Dramamine just didn't mix well with the alcohol! The other times I've felt a little sick, I think it was our wonderful bartender who just made my drink too strong!!!

I've heard a lot about Bonine - does it make you sleepy, how about if you're drinking?

We're taking our first cruise during hurricane season next fall so I'm a little worried about the rough seas.

I love the show Mythbusters in the Discovery Channel.

Last night they did a test on which non pharmaceutical seasickness remidies worked and didn't for the two guys on the show that have a real problem with seasickens.

They didn't test my new sure cure for seasickness either: Ricola Cough Drops and walk 40 times all around the ship.

I'm thinking my Ricola's were probably a placebo, but they did make me feel better.

40 times, Suzanne?? :eek:

If you walk around the ship 40 times, I would think that your seasickness would be cured indeed! Of course, you might have to worry about blisters, exhaustion, etc.:D

Susan

I have a tendency towards seasickness, car sickness, any motion sickness and the seabands have worked great for me. If the sea is rough, I will also take the less drowsey formula of Bonine. Have also drank ginger ale, I can't stand the taste of the candied ginger.

Speaking as one who not only gets seasick, but car sick, bus sick, train sick.. can't watch the kids on the merry-go-round because I get sick........

I've tried them all...........

what worked: Dramamine I, but made me sleepy.

Bonine (generic: meclazine hydrochloride 25 mg once daily)

Never made me sleepy, and I can still imbibe!

Motion sickness is not nausea..... it's your brain at work trying to equalize the movement. People who have suffered bad middle and inner ear infections in the past as I have, are quite susceptible to motion sickness.

Ginger...............blech.......tastes good going down.. but not coming back up.

Once you get sick, it's too late for pills... but a shot of compazine will cure all ills.. and put you to sleep with a sore butt.

Just ask all those poor folks who sailed with me on the old Pacific Princess to Bermuda in 2000.. through 18 foot seas thanks to Hurricane Alberto. They couldn't understand why their bands, ginger, etc. weren't working.. yet my cabinmate and I were feeling just fine!!

I know it sounds crazy, and people who saw me walking around must have thought I was crazy, or just very busy.

I got sick the 4th monring of the cruise when seas got a little rough, and I was tired from lack of sleep and tried to take a little nap in the morning. My body just wasn't used to the seas, and I threw-up. Well I knew then and there that I wasn't going to start feeling any better hiding in my room. But with the wind and the clouds it was a bit chilly to walk around the track, so I just walked around the ship, and my goal was to keep moving, as long as I was moving It didn't bother me.

People sitting by the spa pool, must have thought, didn't she just come through here 5 minutes ago. I stopped breifly in the Cova Cafe for a diet coke. Then I walked all around with my diet coke in hand. Till I got back to Cova Cafe with empty glass, and dropped it off. Then it was on around up the stairs, by the pool deck, donw to the guest relations deck. I could stop for a few second to chat, but then the sickness would come back, and so it was off to walking around some more. I am not sure how many times around I did, but I just kept walking around for about 2 hours, and then at lunch time I was fine. I was also enjoying my Ricola Cough Drops at the same time.

The bonine, combined with Alcohol made me very sleepy. By itself was fine, but DH and I enjoy wine with dinner, and I was nodding off during a couple of shows after the combination of the two. I think on my next cruise I'm going to try the ginger.

I actually like candied ginger, or maybe I'll just try the old tried and true, tough it out for a couple days till you get your sea-legs approach. Our next one is Merc, Mexican Riviera. Seas are usually not very bad unless there is a storm.

Dramamine works for me as does the transderm patch. But there are side effects with both. However, this cruise I'm trying the "Relief Band". It looks like a wrist watch and uses a gel, batteries and electro-magnetic principles (for all you science geeks). It's expensive $99.00 but drug free and works immediately and even after the onset of symptoms. I contacted a physician who specializes in travel medicine and this was one of his recommendations. I'm leaving on the Constellation today so I'll let you know how it works when I return.

Thanks for the report. I love Mythbusters, yet missed this airing.

I've found that having an apple works for me. A crew member suggested it to me 12 years ago when I was pregnant and unable to take meds. It worked like a charm then, and also again this past summer when we had a rough crossing to Bermuda. We also travel with ginger tablets, just in case.

The company that makes/distributes Sea Band wrist bands also makes/distributes ginger gum--available at the local CVS, in the same section as Dramamine, Bonine, etc.

I agree that you can never have too many preventatives/remedies when it comes to mal de mare.... Bonine (rather than Dramamine, for the reasons discussed in some of the previous posts), wrist bands, Saltine crackers, ginger gum, ginger ale--all are part of my travelling medicine cabinet. Cruise Arizona's walking-around cure also sounds promising. I'll be testing all of these on the North Atlantic next month.

I have had only one serious bout with seasickness and I now use Gravol..

Gravol® is a trade name for the nonprescription drug dimenhydrinate.

It works well but then I get lots of sleep..

I once woke up in rough seas going back to port 1 day from New Orleans. I woke up at 2 am feeling warm and just made it to the porcelain godess... where I worshiped for the next 5 hours... Doing 40 rounds on my knees was no option.

The only other time I nearly got sick was on the ferry to Cozumel...For the return trip, a pax with an anti-sea sick pill saved me from flying home... Even with the pill my wife told me she now believes that green look is accurate for people suffering from this ailment.

I will admit that on our last cruise, I altered my somewhat snooty previous belief that avoiding seasickness was mostly a matter of mind over matter. Before then, I hadn't been seasick since a truly terrifying stretch of open Pacific water on my six-week childhood cruise from LA through the South Pacific on to Australia and Hawaii and back to Calif ... almost 40 years ago. In these ultra-stabilized times, I've generally been the one rooting FOR rougher water, just so it really feels like I'm on a ship!

Then came Mercury to Alaska last August. All was relatively placid till we got to the Gulf of Alaska the morning we sailed into Yakutat Bay to view Hubbard Glacier. The sharp rocking woke me up around 4 am with a queasy tummy. We'd sailed the same exact route on Infinity two years earlier, but it was nowhere near that choppy. I felt like I would definitely hurl if I stayed in the cabin, so I made my way to the buffet area for some mint tea, a known stomach calmative. I actually found it calming to sit by the window up there and watch the swells and the ship leaning into and away from them ... till the angles of leaning got so sharp, I could hear large-scale crashes from inside the buffet galley, very nearby.

The mint tea soothed my stomach but nothing really soothed my nerves over all that crashing till we turned into Yakutat Bay about an hour later and got out of the open Gulf of Alaska ... wow ... TR

100% effective. They melt in your mouth, so no water needed. I take when we arrive at the airport so I am ready for the air turbulence & such, then the start of the cruise. Next Morning I pop one in my mouth so I am ready til I wake the next day. Not only cruises, but any air, amusement park rides, or back seat of an auto rides too.

I got the original pills from my Vertigo attack, but they don't work as long & they make my drousy but Bonine doesn't. As far as drinks go, we enjoy those before bed out on the balcony so I want to fall asleep. (But not be woken up by a stupid dude pressure washing a bar atop us).

Archived