Port of MIAMI - RENTAL CAR Help Needed

cruislovin

I did a search and found some older posts, BUT - has anyone been taken to the Port of Miami and been picked-up there by either Alamo or Dollar Rental cars RECENTLY? If so, please share your experience with them, good or bad.

Also, what about other rental car agencies?

We sail in less than a month!

Does Alamo take you from the pier to their airport location or somewhere else? Did you have to wait long to be picked-up or to actually get the car? I have used Alamo in other cities and their service is often quite slow, that's why I am wondering. Thanks!

We used Thrifty last weekend for our Majesty cruise. Picked up the car at FLL and dropped it off at MIA. They had a shuttle that took us to the Port of Miami and the driver said the shuttles start running for pick up at the pier at 8:00 in the morning. When we got off the ship just before 8 he was already there.

When I was researching the rental cars I called the Miami Airport location of Alamo and they said their shuttle only runs on weekends now. Since our return was on a Monday they were no good for us. Best to call and check if this might affect you.

We used Thrifty last weekend for our Majesty cruise. Picked up the car at FLL and dropped it off at MIA. They had a shuttle that took us to the Port of Miami and the driver said the shuttles start running for pick up at the pier at 8:00 in the morning. When we got off the ship just before 8 he was already there.

When I was researching the rental cars I called the Miami Airport location of Alamo and they said their shuttle only runs on weekends now. Since our return was on a Monday they were no good for us. Best to call and check if this might affect you.

Thrifty might be the way to go since it sounds like they have quick service.

Right now I am booked with Dollar. Does anyone have any recent experience with Dollar?

Why worry about a shuttle? Take a taxi.

Because the shuttle from the rental car company is included in the cost of the car rental while taxi fair is additional. Also with the 4 of us and the luggage the only size cab we can fit into is a mini van and they are difficult to get.

I just booked with Thrifty for our January Majesty cruise. I usually use Hertz, but they wanted so much more to rent in Miami and return in Fort Lauderdale. Thrifty was much cheaper. We go January 2, returning January 7. If that is before your cruise, I can let you know how it went.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also interested in this as we arrive at the Miami port early in the morning and our flight leaves FLL at 7:40 p.m.. We would love to be able to drive around a bit between our cruise and flight. Just want to make sure it's not to much of a hassle!!

used a rental car there last year. All the major rental companies shuttel to their lot which are all in the same area. I don't think it matters which one you use. The shuttle works fine, very quick, they run a constant circle from airport to lot to pier and back to airport. Since its so close it goes very quickly. The only thing I didn't like is trying to navigate in Miami and the traffic.

Actually it's not true that all of the companies offer shuttles from the pier in Miami. I called around and came up with Alamo, Thrifty and one other and I'm sorry but I can't remember which one it was. It's best to call the company and double check if you're counting on a shuttle.

Archived