Maho Beach?

BMH5150

Hello Everyone,

My family and I just booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean. We have not cruised in over a year. Last time my son had a blast watching the planes land at Maho Beach. Can anyone give me an updated-post-hurricane status of this beach? We do not cruise until the end of March 2018. Just curious as I know that the recent hurricanes devastated St. Maarten.

Thanks,

Brian

Maho Beach was hit pretty hard by the hurricane, but it is well on its way to recovery. The airport is back up and running, but the large planes out of the US and Europe are few and far between. Our our recent trip there on Christmas Day, the big plane schedule prior to the hurricane was for 11 planes to land and take off. After the hurricane that number was down to three (with one of them being after 5:00 PM).

However, there are still a lot of prop and smaller planes, so if that works for your son, he should have a good time. The sand on the beach was mostly washed away by the hurricane, but it is coming back. I would say about 2/3 of it is now back, with the 1/3 of the beach closest to Sunset Bar and Grill only having large boulders with very little sand. By March, it could all be back, however. It likely will not be exactly what you remember the last time you were there, but the damage is not so severe as to stay away.

If you were a fence-hanger on your last visit, they rebuilt the fence so that it is right next to the road which forces you to stand in the road on take-offs. I was never a big fence-hanger fan, but I would never do it now - too many things could go wrong. You can still get sand blasted by the jet engines on the beach, so that's good !!

Maho Beach was hit pretty hard by the hurricane, but it is well on its way to recovery. The airport is back up and running, but the large planes out of the US and Europe are few and far between. Our our recent trip there on Christmas Day, the big plane schedule prior to the hurricane was for 11 planes to land and take off. After the hurricane that number was down to three (with one of them being after 5:00 PM).

However, there are still a lot of prop and smaller planes, so if that works for your son, he should have a good time. The sand on the beach was mostly washed away by the hurricane, but it is coming back. I would say about 2/3 of it is now back, with the 1/3 of the beach closest to Sunset Bar and Grill only having large boulders with very little sand. By March, it could all be back, however. It likely will not be exactly what you remember the last time you were there, but the damage is not so severe as to stay away.

If you were a fence-hanger on your last visit, they rebuilt the fence so that it is right next to the road which forces you to stand in the road on take-offs. I was never a big fence-hanger fan, but I would never do it now - too many things could go wrong. You can still get sand blasted by the jet engines on the beach, so that's good !!

I have observed similar on my current visit.

Only one thing to add. The airport building itself is not open. There was significant damage so we were lead from the plane across the tarmac into a tent where we went through customs/immigration.