My fashion observations on Celebrity

pennstater

Just a few general things I saw on my Celebrity cruise re: fashion/dress code. The demographics were: all ages, mostly 30's through 70's, maybe a bit concentrated in the 40's or 50's; 50% or more Latin. Also, my observations of evening attire were from the viewpoint of late seating, on the upper floor of the dining room (didn't really take the time to look down below--the ship rocked and rolled a lot due to high winds and rain and I had trouble standing, let alone walking), and usually did most of my people watching from the martini bar!

Daytime - we had at least some rain every day and 2 completely rainy days. Everyone we saw was very casually dressed - shorts, t-shirts, tanks, capris, flip-flops, swimsuits with coverups, etc. Pretty much as expected.

Evening - Casual and informal nights were quite varied, from very casual to dressy--even saw some jeans, not a lot but a few. I saw jeans on folks leaving the dining room after early seating, so I know they weren't turned away. Informal nights and casual nights were hard to distinguish - everything from khakis/capris to "Sunday best" to cocktail dresses - it would be hard to say that anyone 'didn't fit in' because the attire really ran the gamut. Formal nights were what I would consider 'semi-formal' to formal - I saw a few ballgowns but most women were in cocktail dresses and men were in dark suits or tuxes (only a few tuxes that I saw). I only saw a handful of people that didn't appear to be dressed formally - I remember one older couple specifically. He wore a white leisure suit (think 70's) with white loafers and a red t-shirt and she wore a floral print mid-calf length cotton dress. I remember another man in jeans and a button-down shirt on formal night a few tables down from us.

Overall, I would say that the vast majority of people made an effort to adhere to the dress codes. Although I was making a point to notice the styles of dress after all my time on this fashion board, I really didn't spend that much time 'checking everyone out' and it didn't seem that many others were either. To the cruise newbies: don't worry about the fashion police - dress to your comfort within the dress codes and you will fit right in. If you want to use your cruise as a reason to shop (like me!) go for it, but there is probably no need unless you live in jeans and tees.

Thanks to everyone on the boards for your advice and thoughts - it came in handy. As for me, for one formal night, I wore a black crepe sleeveless dress, just below the knee with foot long fringe at the hem with black silk wrap, also trimmed in fringe. The other, I wore black silk pants and a powder blue sequined sleeveless top. With both, I wore black leather pointy flats with rhinestone and gold embroidery detailing. I would post some photos, but I forgot to carry my camera in the evenings so our friends took some photos that we haven't received yet. Thanks again to everyone!

What ship were you on? You do not say.

Sounds to me you decribed Carnival and RCCL cruises.

So far I hear only on Crystal and Cunard that people adhere to dress codes.

Just what we keep saying here-people don't dress up anymore no matter where we are at. Not church, not the symphony, not to a play-it seems no where.

I guess people like me are going to just plain become antiques-in our thinking and wanting to dress nice.

I have to say that dressing up every night for dinner on Celebrity was a highlight of my trip. Probably 90% of the people conformed to the dress code, and I have dicided that the 10% are no big deal

I loved seaing all the sequins and glitz on formal nights. My kids just glowed when they would recieve positive feed back from other passengers for getting dressed up.

The Informal nights, seemed to be the nights where any thing goes, from nice casual to simi formal. I wore cocktail dresses, but you saw everything from pants and tops, to the more formal cocktail dresses. Ties were not required on informal, but about 60-70% of the men wore them, inclduding DS with his clip on.

There were some young people in their early 20's that seemed to pay no attention to the dress code, and a few people who seemed to wear Designer jeans the whole time. But overall, people looked great, and I would say pack your best for a Celebrity cruise, you'll fit righ in, or stand out as a best dressed, but not an over dressed passenger.

Thanks for the fashion observation. I find it very interesting to read these kind of posts which describe "fashion observation" on the different cruiselines.

I'm still pondering the question as to whether the region/date you cruise has alot to do with the "fashion" on board the ships. When we sailed on Carnival Liberty in the Mediterranean, for the formal nights, the majority of men we saw when dining were in tuxes and the women were in cocktail and long dresses/gowns.

I see that you sailed the Celebrity Constellation which is one of the ships we hope one day to try but can't convince my husband to sail the caribbean yet.:( He would rather do a land vacation to the islands.

Your outfit sounds terrific. Thanks for sharing.

I have to say that dressing up every night for dinner on Celebrity was a highlight of my trip. Probably 90% of the people conformed to the dress code, and I have dicided that the 10% are no big deal

I loved seaing all the sequins and glitz on formal nights. My kids just glowed when they would recieve positive feed back from other passengers for getting dressed up.

The Informal nights, seemed to be the nights where any thing goes, from nice casual to simi formal. I wore cocktail dresses, but you saw everything from pants and tops, to the more formal cocktail dresses. Ties were not required on informal, but about 60-70% of the men wore them, inclduding DS with his clip on.

There were some young people in their early 20's that seemed to pay no attention to the dress code, and a few people who seemed to wear Designer jeans the whole time. But overall, people looked great, and I would say pack your best for a Celebrity cruise, you'll fit righ in, or stand out as a best dressed, but not an over dressed passenger.

This has pretty much been our experience on 2 Celebrity cruises this year. Perhaps, it has something to do with the length of the cruise. :confused: Ours were 9 & 10 nights. On both cruises, we saw at least as many tuxes as suits. On Century last month, my DH had his back turned to where he couldn't see the rest of the dining room. For curiousity, he asked me how many men were wearing a jacket on informal night. From where I was sitting, I didn't see one man who wasn't wearing one or had it hanging on his seat. On Infinity in June, I noticed 2 boys without one, but that was it. We did see 2 people in jeans on Century. One was a girl in her 20's, which wasn't in the dining room at the time. I don't know, if she went to dinner dressed that way or not. The other was a man in black jeans, a black coat, & brown cowboy boots on formal night. He looked different to say the least. :D It does seem that more men adhere to the dress code than women. Perhaps, some women are just confused by the cruise lines definitions of casual, informal, & formal. :confused:

This was pretty much the experience we had on Celebrity as well, the vast majority adhered to the dress code and you saw very few who didn't.

It was a far cry from the RCI weekend cruise we took last month, I wish I had taken pictures, you would not have believed what I saw in the evenings :eek: and even during the day :eek: :eek: :eek: !

Archived