Breakaway balcony doors

Snowrose

I just got off Breakaway 3 weeks ago. Mind you, I've also been on the Jewel during a hurricane and Spirit in a nor'easter, so I think I can say I'm a seasoned storm cruiser. With all the alarmist posts about Breakaway in the nor'easter this week, could we talk about her balcony doors for a second?

The balcony doors, first off they're on the inside track of the room so they can't just be caught up by the wind. Second, they seal shut. You put the handle down to open them and you can slide them back and forth like that, but if you pull the handle up they lock in place and seal. Now, if they're handled properly does that sound like a door that can come off in the wind?

My guess is that no balcony doors came off. The winds wouldn't have been high enough and even if they were someone would have to open the door for it to lift. (And remember, the door is on the inside track, so where is it going to go, into your room?)

So, in a storm it's really simple: 1) Do NOT open your balcony door. 2) Make sure the door is fully closed against the jamb. (Easy enough to tell, especially in a storm you'll hear the wind whistling and feel the breeze if the door is the slightest bit open.) 3) Seal the balcony door closed by pulling the handle counter clockwise and up. You can actually see the door settling into the track when you do this.

Now, I have no idea if this is the same on other ships, but that's what we experienced in a Breakaway balcony cabin just a few weeks ago.

If any balcony doors flew off, and I do mean "if"....then perhaps those were doors that the passengers did not lock. Stuff happens but in my opinion, the lack of communication would have been my biggest complaint.