A Virgin's Mistakes

drfun48

On your first Celebrity cruise,have you ever made a mistake or missed something due to your lack of experience?

I remember after receiving my complimentary champagne upon boarding the ship,I was soon confronted with the bar server and a tray full of those tall drinks in the Celebrity design glasses. Making the false assuption that this was another freebie,I grabed one and as soon as the straw hit my lips,the request for my card was made.

The drink was fine and I might have ordered it anyway,but the manner in which it was conducted seemed a bit sneaky to me.

Many miss things like the waffle station, or the spa lunches on the M class ships, or the waterskiing off the back of the ship simply because they are X virgins.

Hee hee hee, I did the same thing. This was years ago on a short weekend trip. Got on board and there was music playing, people with trays of cool looking drinks..... Yep I took one, and then they asked for my card.

On the first few trips on Celebrity I missed getting baked goods at the Cova Cafe. Thought they charged for them.

Also missed the "cooked" lunch at the Spa buffet. I knew they had the stuff that was out, but didn't realize that you could order cooked items.

Live and learn...

Duane

Dang, I missed the water skiing off the back of the ship, not to mention the bbq grilling on my balcony, kite flying and deep sea fishing from the pool deck.

No worries! Looks like you'll have plenty of time to try them all in about a month & 1/2. :p Make sure to come back here & give us all a full review of your Celebrity capers. :D

On your first Celebrity cruise,have you ever made a mistake or missed something due to your lack of experience?

I remember after receiving my complimentary champagne upon boarding the ship,I was soon confronted with the bar server and a tray full of those tall drinks in the Celebrity design glasses. Making the false assuption that this was another freebie,I grabed one and as soon as the straw hit my lips,the request for my card was made.

The drink was fine and I might have ordered it anyway,but the manner in which it was conducted seemed a bit sneaky to me.

Many miss things like the waffle station, or the spa lunches on the M class ships, or the waterskiing off the back of the ship simply because they are X virgins.

and learned not to do it when I went on Celebrity for the first time.

As 'virgin' cruisers, my husband and I didn't want to miss anything. We say in the days listing: Friends of Bill W. We missed it the first night and when we saw he was meeting with his friends again we mentally decided to go. Then as the day progressed with new found wonders of cruising we missed it again. I remember saying to my husband: "He must have a lot of friends!" We never did make it to one of his gatherings, and later found out what we were missing! I can just see me showing up with a drink in hand!

We missed the midnight buffet because we didn't know what time it was going to be held.....:rolleyes:

We missed the midnight buffet because we didn't know what time it was going to be held.....:rolleyes:

Should have called the bridge and asked the Captain, they're always happy to answer questions like that - If they say he's busy tell them you're a paying passenger and insist on speaking directly with the Captain. They respect you if you'e firm with them - :p

On our first cruise, we were on a ship excursion to Dunn River Falls in Jamaica. It was our 30th wedding anniversary and we were so excited. I forgot to change the time on my watch and we missed the bus back to the ship. We were both blaming each other and just a fussing and a man came up to us and asked if we were from the Century. The tour guide had called him and asked him to try to round us up. There were 4 couples that had gotten left. He assured us he was who he said he was. They tell you not to get in just any taxi, because they aren't all licensed. Anyway, he took us back to the ship and everything was ok. Needless to say, we have been on about 10 cruises since then and we are always early and NEVER forget to change our watch.

:) WOW! Welcome aboard champagne??? Wonderful. Only time it happed to us was on the Murray River in Australia.

:p Things are looking up!

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VD

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG

Sep 2002, CELEBRITY, Mercury, Panama Canal, Rail & Sail FR

Dec 2002, CARNIVAL Spirit, E. Caribbean, nice decor, VERY GD

Apr 2003, HAL Statendam, CA-HI, good all around, VERY GD

Aug 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, E. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Sep 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, W. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Dec 2003, HAL Noordam, E. & S. Caribbean, VG

Mar 2004, HAL Volendam, W. Caribbean Wayfarer, VG

May 2004, MSC, Lirica, West Indies, GOOD

Nov 2004, HAL Prinsendam, 28-day Amazon River Explorer, VG

Feb 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, E. Caribbean, POOR

Mar 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, W.Caribbean, POOR

July 2005, CARNIVAL Miracle, W. Caribbean, EXC

COMING UP

Dec 2005 RCL Mariner of the Seas, E. Caribbean

Apr 2006 HAL Ryndam, S. Caribbean INCLUDING ARUBA!

Sep 2006 CARNIVAL Sensation, Bahamas (a short one)

On our first cruise, we were trying to find where to purchase a soda sticker. We were kind of lost on the ship, and went to the Cova Bar to ask where to buy a sticker. We didn't really know where we were, and were told we needed to go to the Cova Bar. Luckily, the bartender could tell we were totally clueless people, and let us know we were already at the Cova Bar. Needless to say, I memorize the ship maps now.

LOL ... I did the exact same thing on my first Celebrity cruise last week. Saw the servers walking around with those tall glasses at Sailaway and when he offered me one, I jumped at the chance to try it. Guess I should have asked first if there was a charge. Obviously nothing that nice would be free. :)

Like you, I would have probably ordered it anyway. The glass is really nice and I did bring it home as a souvenuir of my first Celebrity sailing, so I guess it wasn't a total waste. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 2 months later...

On our first cruise I didn't realize they would change the beds, or make them, or turn them down. I put them together, and assumed that the DW was making them every day. It wasn't till halfway thru the cruise that I realized that it was in fact the cabin steward who deserved those pearls. ;)

I must have been on 10 cruises befor I knew what Bill W is all about. It didnot take me as long to find out what friends of Dorothy is all about.

So what is "friends of Bill W" and "friends of Dorothy"? DH and I will be going on our first Celebrity cruise in May. I think I saw a "friends of ...." on Carnival, but we had too many other distractions to investigate at the time.

Hi Everyone !

On my first Cruise, I booked an inside cabin..... and overslept several hours. When I first woke up.... it was dark. I probably assumed it was the middle of the night, and I feel back to sleep :).

I never made that mistake again :)

On our first cruise on Century, we were at the buffet after boarding, and did the same thing with the tall-glassed drinks, in which you get to keep the glass. Dw might have ordered one, normally, but I would not have. We have the glasses with us at home, look at them, rarely, if ever, use them, and chuckle at ourselves for assuming they were a welcome aboard drink. As I recall our wine/bar bills on the cruises, my thought now is," Free?Yeah, right! In a pig's eye!"

On our second cruise, on Millenium, I presumed that the thelassotherapy pool was a pay-as-you-go deal like Century. Midway through a 7-day, kid-infested trip, as I went looking to buy cigarettes (was on month 8 without them) and could not wait to get off the ship and go home, I discovered that the M-class ships had the thelassotherapy area for everyone OVER EIGHTEEN. My sanity and the cruise, not to mention my cessation of smoking were all saved! LOL. Makes for a good laugh now, but then...

On our third cruise, we noticed staff standing off to the side of the entrance on Summit, with glasses of champagne, but since we were not offerred any, presumed that they were for elite or select CC members. We found out from other pax that they were for everyone, so on our last cruise on Century, we went directly over to the staff, thanked them very much and took some. What a nice way to start the trip, and Celebrity already does that by having someone immediately take you to your cabin!

Archived