MSC Seaside keeping in touch with other guests

duderino

I would like to be able to keep in touch with my kids while on board.

Does the "MSC for me" app allow calling or texting within the ship, either from the room or another mobile phone?

Also, can you track the location of your kids with the wristband? I believe that was one of the features mentioned on their website.

Thank you

Does the "MSC for me" app allow calling or texting within the ship, either from the room or another mobile phone?

Also, can you track the location of your kids with the wristband? I believe that was one of the features mentioned on their website.

Thank you

No calling or texting features in the app at this time.

If you were to be able to track your kids it wasn't clear in the app how to do this. The app did use your phones Bluetooth to talk to the beacons on the boat and show your location on the map within the app.

Thanks for the info.

Now, i am an old-school, flip phone kinda guy so I do not understand alot of mobile tech, so maybe someone could help me out .

We have this included free:

Surfer Cruise Plus

Access to social networks, chat apps emails and web (No Audio and Video) browsing up to 800 MBs + an esclusive 20% more data (total amount 960 MBs)

What I am thinking, is I can get a "chat app"(although I don't know what that is, exactly) on our phones and we would be able to text each other over the ship's WiFi.

What do you think?

WhatsApp works well on the social package for fellow cruisers as well as family at home. I usually start a cruise group and give them a cruise blog including photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the info.

Now, i am an old-school, flip phone kinda guy so I do not understand alot of mobile tech, so maybe someone could help me out .

We have this included free:

Surfer Cruise Plus

Access to social networks, chat apps emails and web (No Audio and Video) browsing up to 800 MBs + an esclusive 20% more data (total amount 960 MBs)

What I am thinking, is I can get a "chat app"(although I don't know what that is, exactly) on our phones and we would be able to text each other over the ship's WiFi.

What do you think?

This particular package allows up to 2 devices at a time. If you want 4 devices to share upgrade your package.

Would chat apps like Whatsapp or Hangout use up much allowed MBs if it kept on all the time? Hopefully someone who is techie can answer that.

BTW - when we travel outside of US, we have WhatsApps on our phones. Through our carrier we are allowed to use data and text outside of North America When indoors, we use WhatsApps via wifi. Outside, we use our current data plan. Anyway, with WhatsApp you can call and text one another.

There are other apps as well like Hangout (Google) and Messenger (FB). We do not have social media accounts in our family for personal use - no FB, Twitter, IG, etc. No need for them. With Messenger you are required to have a facebook account, something I have refused to open all these year. We have gmail accounts so Hangout comes with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you

Last I saw MSC had said they would soon roll out track your kids in public areas feature but no date was given. The report was in a tech blog which went into a long, detailed explanation which boiled down to the tracking using the bracelets will utilize something already put in public places for other techie reasons. So far no one has reported it working.

It's really too bad that MSC didn't build a chat feature in to their app like Carnival did. I was on Carnival Vista a few months before I was on MSC Seaside. The chat feature on Carnival's app was FANTASTIC for keeping in touch with another couple we were cruising with. No such feature on the MSC For Me app.

The original plan for the MSC For Me app was that you would be able to track your kids (if they were wearing a wristband). However, they ran in to problems with it, and disabled the feature in the app until further notice. I do think they plan eventually to make it work. But I don't think they have any plans to add chat, which is what they really need.