grand cayman snorkeling, turtle farm or rum point

marieps

I will be on RCCL Mariner Jan 2-9th. I am looking for the best and least crowded place to snorkel from the beach in GC. ( We had hoped to snorkel at Chankanaab National Park in Cozumel but that has not re-opened since Wilma). I came across some info describing snorkeling from turtle farm on the west bay and rum point on the north side. Anyone have any experiences at these places. Also the cost of a taxi to get there. I found the info at http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm for anyone else who maybe interested. Thanks!

We snorkel at the Eden Rock dive Shop. It is a easy walk from the pier. When you get in town go right and you will walk right to it. It is by a green roof resturant that is on the water line. You can see it from your cruise ship. It is free to snorkel there and they have a ladder into the water. When we where in Grand Caymans in Nov 2005 there were 6 ships with a total of 13,000 people getting off and there was maybe 10 to 15 people snorkeling there. You can also rent a locker there for all day for $5.00 US. You need an extra $5.00 for key deposit but you get it back when you turn your key in. We snorkel six different islands on our last cruise and we ranked this second behind Boraire.

"to snorkel from the beach" are the words you used. Not to nit-pick, but there is no beach at the Turtle Farm. The shoreline is ironshore, but there are ladders for entry and exit to/from the water over at the dive center next to the Turtle Farm. This is an EXCELLENT shore dive for scuba divers and the snorkelling is quite good. Catch any of the multitude of tour busses going to the Turtle Farm for just a few bucks.

Rum Point is further away and without routine bus service. You'd need to rent a car, a taxi costing much too much for that. The beach is SUPERB, but no scuba diving is available from shore in this part of the island. Snorkelling is pretty good.

Neither place will be overly packed in the water, though many more people will be at the Turtle Farm than at Rum Point.

Archived