Just back from Cozymel port

Trvlbugs

Im not really sure why they are still stopping in Cozymel? The area is totally devastated around the pier and the buildings that are standing are severly comprimised and seem very unsafe to even be in. On top of this the princess left 300 people including families with toddlers waiting three hours in the dark with no facilities for a tender. This is so uncalled for. Be forwarned if you are stopping here.:confused:

On top of this the princess left 300 people including families with toddlers waiting three hours in the dark with no facilities for a tender. This is so uncalled for. Be forwarned if you are stopping here.:confused:

In the dark literally or figuritively? Did tenders ever arrive or did everyone have to stay on board? We will be there on January 5th so I'm just curious what to expect. We've booked a snorkle trip and time at Playa Mia.

We were in Cozumel last week. The tenders were the best of our three tender ports, HUGE catamarans. Yes, there is some devastation, but they are coming back fast. We went to Paradise Beach and according to my 6 yo daughter, it was "the best day of my life". If you want good deals on shopping, go downtown, Puerto Maya is overpriced. Even in the condition it was in, it was our favorite port all week. We're even looking into swapping our timeshare for a week in Cozumel this spring.

Yes, they did eventually send a tender to pick everyone up. It was dimmly lit. Also, it had been raining on and off. Just a nightmare. Im sure this doesnt happen very often. people had to wait on others because of a car accident, but why they made the rest wait is beyond me......

Im not really sure why they are still stopping in Cozymel? The area is totally devastated around the pier and the buildings that are standing are severly comprimised and seem very unsafe to even be in. On top of this the princess left 300 people including families with toddlers waiting three hours in the dark with no facilities for a tender. This is so uncalled for. Be forwarned if you are stopping here.:confused:

Living through the hurricane - by no means is the area totally devastated. You should have seen what it looked like right after the hurricane- the main avenue was impassable and filled with rubble. I think Cozumel has come around very quickly - and even the FEMA folks from the US came to visit to share ideas of how we do things here to be in such good shape so quickly.

As far as the tender- sounds like it was an isolated incident. Sad that it happened at all, but not something that is common. I actually have been told that our tenders here that hold over 300 people are much more efficient that those used in other ports...

That description sure doesn't match my experience there. I just got back from a week there. Sure, there are some damaged building, especially at cruise docks, but that is definitely not the correct description of any of the downtown.

If you get off the ship and think that all of Cozumel looks like the pier area, then you are really missing the good parts of the island. Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Just visited Cozumel on 12/22/05 from Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. Voyager was serviced by only two, double-decker tenders. We needed tender tickets and the only way I knew this was by reading my Cruise Compass very carefully the night before arriving in Cozumel. We managed to get on the first tender over to Cozumel at 10:00 A.M. Not wanting to push it, we got back on the tender around 4:30 to come back to the ship (which was sailing at 7:00 P.M.). We had a great day shopping and beaching it in Cozumel. Everything is up and running in the downtown area. The biggest mess was right around the International Pier where hurricane damage was very obvious and very bad.

When we got back to the ship, we started to hear the horror stories. Not everyone was able to get off the ship. Many people missed their excursions. People who did mainland excursions were incorrectly told they had to take the ferry to Cozumel then pick up the tender to the ship. This was bad information -- there was a ferry to take them directly from Playa del Carmen to the ship. We were late leaving Cozumel because people were late getting back to the ship b/c of the inadequacies of the tenders. People were livid.

We had escaped all the problems by being astute, getting tender tickets first thing and not waiting until the last minute to get back on the ship. My advice -- play it by ear in Cozumel and don't plan an excursion. There are many, many taxi drivers waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. We went to Mr. Sancho's Aventure on the Beach -- about a $14.00 cab ride from the International Pier. It was less crowded than Paradise Beach and Chakunaab (sp?). It was obvious to us that Mr. Sancho's lost 1/2 of their beach to Wilma and still weren't up an running like before. Even so, it was relaxing and enjoyable. If you don't know where to go for a nice beach experience, just ask your cabbie, who will undoubtedly have a recommendation.

I was glad we made it off the ship and got to experience Cozumel. I had a great time snorkeling off the beach and had a lot of fun bargaining with the merchants. Just beware that there may be some wrinkles with the tenders and ferries until the piers are operational once more.

Because Cozumel's economy depends on tourism and tourism is helping rebuild their country.

This is a correct answer. It does but if it were unsafe and you could not have a good time then that is not enough. I was there two weeks ago. The area is devestated. Please Coz boosters don't understate that. I was just there and the devestation was eye opening. At the same time a lot of rebuilding has been done. There are beaches and shops open. If you read this board you will get good advise on what to do there and have a fun day. Paradise Beach for example. You can have a very good day on Cozumel and at the same time it helps the local economy which helps the rebuilding. If you could not have a good time, if it were not safe, I would say stay on the ship, but you can safely visit and have a good time if you research ahead of time of what to do. I had a very ggod visit there. Please folks from Coz, post facts, not polyannaisms that understate the damage.

The biggest mess was right around the International Pier where hurricane damage was very obvious and very bad.
I believe this is a pretty accurate statement.

It was less crowded than Paradise Beach and Chakunaab (sp?). It was obvious to us that Mr. Sancho's lost 1/2 of their beach to Wilma and still weren't up an running like before. Even so, it was relaxing and enjoyable. If you don't know where to go for a nice beach experience, just ask your cabbie, who will undoubtedly have a recommendation.
Mr. Sancho's just recently reopened, so I'm not surprised it wasn't busy, but I'm sure that Chankanaab had fewer people since it isn't open.

No doubt that having to tender ashore in Cozumel can be a royal pain in the A$$. People need to plan ahead and adjust their expectations accordingly.

I was there two weeks ago. The area is devestated. Please Coz boosters don't understate that.
And I was there last week and there are many areas that still show the destruction cause by wilma, but that is not an excuse to not have a good time in Cozumel. The downtown area, even along the water front where the destruction was the worst, has made a remarkable comeback. Because the the cruise pier facilities were built as close as possible to the water, they suffered the most destruction, but they do not present the total picture. It is unfortunate that this is the first impression that cruise passengers get when they tender ashore. Once you are a couple of blocks back from the waterfront, things look fairly normal.

I think people need to adjust their expectations. You can definitely have a good time in Cozumel, but it won't be exactly the same as whey you were last there.

Was in Cozumel on 12/20 on Rhapsody of the Seas and had a great time. We had no problems tendering either way, even though it was raining for most of the day. We did a Mexican Cuisine Workshop at Playa Mia which was really fun. We had free access to Playa Mia after we cooked and ate. The beach was soft and there were lots of things to do. Yes, there was a lot of devestation but everybody I met had a great time in Cozumel.

I am curious as to why those of you complaining about the tenders are blaming this on the tenders themselves. to me it sounds like a lack of communication between the ship staff and the passengers. the tenders run based on what the ship crew tells them they need.

of course there was extensive damage to Cozumel from Wilma. it was the most intense hurricane recorded in modern history but this severity was not relayed in the states. Wilma was a much worse storm that even Katrina, and it lasted for 50 to 60 hours, what do you really expect from 50 to 60 hours of battering 150mph winds? The key is that Cozumel has pulled itself back together faster than the world power of the USA. The little third world country that people love to belittle and demean has more grace, courage and class than most could ever hope to have and they have made an astonishing recovery thus far. it has only been two months and all major services have been restored for several weeks. who can say the same about the government of Lowsyana and Florida.

look at the big picture before you complain about how inadequate and devastated Cozumel is.

I am curious as to why those of you complaining about the tenders are blaming this on the tenders themselves. to me it sounds like a lack of communication between the ship staff and the passengers. the tenders run based on what the ship crew tells them they need.

of course there was extensive damage to Cozumel from Wilma. it was the most intense hurricane recorded in modern history but this severity was not relayed in the states. Wilma was a much worse storm that even Katrina, and it lasted for 50 to 60 hours, what do you really expect from 50 to 60 hours of battering 150mph winds? The key is that Cozumel has pulled itself back together faster than the world power of the USA. The little third world country that people love to belittle and demean has more grace, courage and class than most could ever hope to have and they have made an astonishing recovery thus far. it has only been two months and all major services have been restored for several weeks. who can say the same about the government of Lowsyana and Florida.

look at the big picture before you complain about how inadequate and devastated Cozumel is.

Couldn't have said it better.

Just got back from a cruise of the Voyageur Of the Seas, the boat was fabulous..Went on an excursion to Playa Mia...will never go back again...we had an open bar..I could not even drink their so called bar drinks...my favorite drink is a Magarita and theirs tasted so bad I had to pour it out...and their buffet lunch was horrible..the water was pretty but no reefs at all..I guess I am spoiled because I have been to Hawaii..no comparison..I would not suggest anyone going to Playa Mia Beach.:eek:

Do all Royal Caribbean Ships use the tender ticket system? We'll be on the January 16th sailing of the Enchantment of the Seas. How do you get a tender ticket? The only time we've tendered was to Coco Cay and we didn't need to do anything special. Thank you for any info!

Just visited Cozumel on 12/22/05 from Royal Caribbean's Voyager of the Seas. Voyager was serviced by only two, double-decker tenders. We needed tender tickets and the only way I knew this was by reading my Cruise Compass very carefully the night before arriving in Cozumel. We managed to get on the first tender over to Cozumel at 10:00 A.M. Not wanting to push it, we got back on the tender around 4:30 to come back to the ship (which was sailing at 7:00 P.M.). We had a great day shopping and beaching it in Cozumel. Everything is up and running in the downtown area. The biggest mess was right around the International Pier where hurricane damage was very obvious and very bad.

When we got back to the ship, we started to hear the horror stories. Not everyone was able to get off the ship. Many people missed their excursions. People who did mainland excursions were incorrectly told they had to take the ferry to Cozumel then pick up the tender to the ship. This was bad information -- there was a ferry to take them directly from Playa del Carmen to the ship. We were late leaving Cozumel because people were late getting back to the ship b/c of the inadequacies of the tenders. People were livid.

We had escaped all the problems by being astute, getting tender tickets first thing and not waiting until the last minute to get back on the ship. My advice -- play it by ear in Cozumel and don't plan an excursion. There are many, many taxi drivers waiting to take you anywhere you want to go. We went to Mr. Sancho's Aventure on the Beach -- about a $14.00 cab ride from the International Pier. It was less crowded than Paradise Beach and Chakunaab (sp?). It was obvious to us that Mr. Sancho's lost 1/2 of their beach to Wilma and still weren't up an running like before. Even so, it was relaxing and enjoyable. If you don't know where to go for a nice beach experience, just ask your cabbie, who will undoubtedly have a recommendation.

I was glad we made it off the ship and got to experience Cozumel. I had a great time snorkeling off the beach and had a lot of fun bargaining with the merchants. Just beware that there may be some wrinkles with the tenders and ferries until the piers are operational once more.

This is similiar to our experience on the Jewel last week - many pax became ill on the tneder and then couldn't go on their excursions -

we were on a diving trip thru RCI because I was nervous about the tender times etc...our dive experience was good -BUT the tendering did take time , and when we returned we heard the horror stories of the tendering being stopped for much of the day as the seas were so rough. I really felt for the dive crew with all the problems they had to deal with...

I do think Coz will try to make it better and better each week -

This is similiar to our experience on the Jewel last week - many pax became ill on the tneder and then couldn't go on their excursions -

we were on a diving trip thru RCI because I was nervous about the tender times etc...our dive experience was good -BUT the tendering did take time , and when we returned we heard the horror stories of the tendering being stopped for much of the day as the seas were so rough. I really felt for the dive crew with all the problems they had to deal with...

I do think Coz will try to make it better and better each week -

and just how do you think the rough seas were the Coz tenders fault? you people need to take some responsibility and realize that this is the time of year for rough seas in the caribbean. if you don't like rough seas then don't go on a cruise in december.

I was really suprised to read this and couldn't figure it out, then it hit me, this person was tendered to Puerta Maya pier, where Princess has a contract. It's a shame they are doing this just to comply with contracted agreements, I believe the people that have tendered to the downtown area have a much better impression of Cozumel, Puerta Maya pier & mall were indeed hit bad, and it's a shame visitors have to endure sub-standard conditions, and leave with this kind of opinion of Cozumel, I do want to point out that this is not Cozumel's fault, someone from Princess Cruises should have been aware of this, and made arrangements to avoid it.

Of course if you only do what you are "told" by the cruise lines, and don't stray off the "official" map, you're going to miss out on alot Cozumel has to offer.

Read everything in this forum, find out all your options, Cozumel is a wonderful and beautiful place, and well worth visiting. Yes there's a few inconveniences from the hurricane, but everyday there are fewer and fewer. I would hope anyone comin would not be discouraged from one report, from one person (though her opinion is of course valid). There have been thousands and thousands of cruise guests since November 14th, and I bet you that most of them had a great time.

Enjoy Cozumel!!

I'm a little puzzled by claims of 'devastation' too, sure, the piers themselves are still damaged, and it looks worse if you arrive to those to the south rather than downtown, but the town centre looks almost 100% normal, as is most of the road between the piers and the centre.

The road around the island is also open, trees are looking green again and most the beach clubs are looking great too.

I can only think that people are seeing the big construction projects by the International Pier and thinking they are hurricane damage - but as PB Tom pointed out, they are not, these were under construction before Wilma and actually looked worse a few months ago!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but please qualify any claims that things are 'devastated' or you may put people off returning. In my opinion this would be very unfair given the fantastic shape the island is in and all the hard work people have put in - not to mention the fact that the overwhelming majority of returning visitors are having a great time.

I'm on a Christmas break at the moment, but in the New Year I plan to show more photos of how great the island looks on my website - in the mean time Antonio has some good pics in his album too - just be sure to scroll down to the most recent ones: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2118380855&mode=guest

Best wishes

Ian

and just how do you think the rough seas were the Coz tenders fault? you people need to take some responsibility and realize that this is the time of year for rough seas in the caribbean. if you don't like rough seas then don't go on a cruise in december.

It is a fact of life that tendering will be the norm for the forseable future. That is a fact has to be taken into account. As far as the Coz tenders, the tenders they are using are the ferrys that many have taken in the past from Coz to Playa del Carmen. Well known for passengers getting seasick on those.

I'm a little puzzled by claims of 'devastation' too, sure, the piers themselves are still damaged, and it looks worse if you arrive to those to the south rather than downtown, but the town centre looks almost 100% normal, as is most of the road between the piers and the centre.

You do yourself a disservice by underplaying the damage. I have pictures of buildings in the downtown shopping area where the shop is open on the first level and the second floor is a wreak. A lot of rebuilding work has been done downtown but it is hardly 100% normal. Also some of the shops smell very bad from mildew. I had to walk right out because of the stink.

Just got back from a cruise of the Grandeur Of the Seas, the boat was fabulous..Went on an excursion to Playa Mia...will never go back again...we had an open bar..I could not even drink their so called bar drinks...my favorite drink is a Margarita and theirs tasted so bad I had to pour it out...and their buffet lunch was horrible..the water was pretty but no reefs at all..I guess I am spoiled because I have been to Hawaii..no comparison..I would not suggest anyone going to Playa Mia Beach.:eek:
Sorry, wrote the wrong ship name down. Like I said, Cozumel is not the place to go... not for me anyway,,,

Sorry, wrote the wrong ship name down. Like I said, Cozumel is not the place to go... not for me anyway,,,

I thought you meant just the beach, Playa Mia. I don't agree. In spite of the damage if you research ahead of time you can have a very good time there. Paradise Beach has been mentioned on these boards a lot. I was there a couple of weeks ago and I recomend it. You also mentioned no reefs. That is because you did not do your research. Some of the world's best reefs are at Cozumel. There are excursions to those reefs.

Archived