Upgrade Experience Advice

sflanigan1110

I am looking for experienced cruisers that have a history of upgrades. We are booked on the 3/11 Carnival Sunshine with my family (two connecting OV rooms) and my parents (OV room two doors down from us). Two weeks ago I received an automated email from Carnival offering an upgrade to a balcony room for $300 (my parents received the same automated email) that we turned down. I then received an email last week from a Carnival rep in the "post booking sales dept" offering all three of us upgrades to Cloud 9 Spa Balconies for $300 each. We also turned those down because I don't feel $300 per room is worth it to me personally.

My question is this, I look at the website on a daily basis to check rates to see if they have gone down hoping to get a rate adjustment (I did this on our last cruise and ended up starting the cruise with $220 obc for each cabin). When I look now and try our normal reservation is says that OV rooms are sold out for our category. With that in mind, and your past experience, would you think that the upgrade offers might get a little better so they can free up some OV rooms and in turn book them since they are less expensive?

As always, thanks in advance for you help and opinions!!!

It's all about supply and demand. If they have someone that wants to book what you already have and you turn it down, they will ask all of the other passengers that are booked in the same type of cabins as you are. More than likely, someone will grab the upsell. In some cases, what they offer in the upsell is what the original price of that category was to begin with.