Is it possible to get a decent tour without reservation near cruise port?

see_world

My family of 4 are going on Allure in March. It is our first time taking a Caribbean cruise, St Thomas is our second port. Ideally my husband and I would like to take a sightseeing tour with Brenda And Franko's Fun Tours. However our kids are only 3 & 5, we aren't sure they can sit through the 3~4 hours tour so we only booked one tour in our first port to test the water.

I was wondering is it possible to book a decent sightseeing tour when we arrive to the port?

Thank you!

There will be taxi drivers offering 2 hour island tours waiting at the dock. Most of them go to pretty much the same spots. The ones that most people are reserving in advance are taxi drivers that try to offer more than the usual tour. For kids that young Coral World is a good place because the kids get to see and touch animals. It's a small place so kids and parents don't have to do a lot of walking.

The basic tour leaves the dock, goes through town, goes to Drakes' Seat for a view of Magens Bay Beach from up high, goes to another scenic lookout for a view of the harbor and other islands in the distance, a stop at Mountain Top for another view of Magens and a chance to try their famous banana daiquiri, all while the taxi driver narrates.

You'll get lots of beautiful photos.

I was just there last month. I walked off the ship and took the $25 2 hour tour. We went around the island clockwise, Coki beach was the last stop, where half the people got off the taxi. These people paid $12 per person ($9 pp if more than one traveling) to Coki beach, but they got the full tour as well. After Coki was just straight back to the dock. The return taxi from Coki is around $9.

I am not sure if this is normally the case. But next time I would get off at Ciki, spend some time there, and save some money.

The "island tour" can vary depending on demand. Keep in mind the taxis only make money when they take people somewhere and they want to fill vehicles, so they may modify the "island tour" with other stops.

If you reserve a tour you have a written description of what you are going to get. The island tours offered at the dock may not be consistent.

I was just there last month. I walked off the ship and took the $25 2 hour tour. We went around the island clockwise, Coki beach was the last stop, where half the people got off the taxi. These people paid $12 per person ($9 pp if more than one traveling) to Coki beach, but they got the full tour as well. After Coki was just straight back to the dock. The return taxi from Coki is around $9.

I am not sure if this is normally the case. But next time I would get off at Ciki, spend some time there, and save some money.

Yea this would actually be pretty ideal for me as I am trying to see St. Thomas on a quick island tour but then get dropped off near Margaritaville Resort for a tour (hoping for a potential hook up via some work contacts) but if that falls through I have no issues spending the day at Coki Beach either since they are within 5 to 10 minute walking distance of each other.

Hopefully the $9 one way island tour is still possible.