Ship time vs. Port time

familyplanner

Just wondering how to keep track of time in port so I don't miss the ship. Do you go by the ship time based upon the port you leave from, or do you go by the time of the port you are visting? I know it is late and I am not making a lot of sense so here is an example. I leave from Miami which goes by Eastern standard time and when I am in Cozumel they go by Central standard time an hour behind. If my tour company wants to meet at 8:30 am local time do I need to meet them at 7:30 am(est) or 8:30 am(cst):confused: I hope this makes sense. Please help me get this straight in my mind. Thanks in advance.:p

Wow - I have had exactly the opposite experience. We have always had the ship stay on the original port city time, regardless of where we are. They have always been very clear when announcing "Stay on Ship Time" and what time it was.

Maybe it depends on the ship/captain/someone of authority?? Don't worry, they will let you know either way!!

We just returned from the Glory sailing out of Port Canaveral and stayed on ship time. They made announcements before each port of call and what time to be back. I know we left three people behind at Nassau so do not be late. If you booked an excursion with Carnival then they will most likely wait for your group to return. If booked through an outside source then you are on your own to make sure that you are back to the ship on time.

Redd :D

Every cruiseship I have ever been on set its' clock by the original port of embarkation, and did NOT change the clock as it moved through different time zones. Also, every one of them used the ship time as the time for being back onboard, for meals, and everything else throughout the journey.

Our experience has also always been to "stay on ship's time". That's why the CD always makes the joke about making sure to take your camera ashore with you, that way if you haven't stayed on ship's time, you can get a nice shot of the ship sailing away without you!

So if you leave from Miami, and are in Cozumel to meet at 8:30 local time, that would be 9:30 ship's time. Hope that helps!

If booking a private vendor they are giving you the island time to meet. (that is their time) some ships change some dont. I havent been on one ship that changes times but see the Liberty did on their 6 day western cruise.

:cool: The ship's time/local time regulation varies with the ship. Some do go on local time, and some don't. I for one would prefer to go on "local time" but some ships we've been on have insisted that we stay on ship's time, as this avoids confusion e.g., the ship will pull out at 5:00, all back on board by 4:30, etc. Best to follow whatever the recommendation is of your ship. There is no right or wrong about this.

:mad: I've often felt that it was an insult to my intelligence not to change to local time, but there are many cruisers who don't have a clue about this time situation, and these same people almost never have any idea of where they are on the globe.

PREVIOUS CRUISES:

Jun 1989, RIVER CRUISES, -- Paddlewheeler Julia Belle Swain, GD

Sep 1993, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Halsey CG23, HI-CA, EXC

Nov 1997, CAPT. COOK CRUISES, Murray Princess, Australia, EXC

Jan.1993, RCL Majesty of the Seas 1st big cruiseship, we were green

May 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

Apr 1998, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 1999, DELTA QUEEN STEAMBOAT CO, Delta Queen, EXC

Sep 2000, US NAVY TIGER CRUISE, USS Fife DD 191, HI-WA, EXC

May 2001, HAL Maasdam. E. Caribbean, VD

Feb 2002, HAL Rotterdam, S. Caribbean, exc. ship decor, EXC

May 2002, CARNIVAL Pride, W. Caribbean, garish decor, VG

Sep 2002, CELEBRITY, Mercury, Panama Canal, Rail & Sail FR

Dec 2002, CARNIVAL Spirit, E. Caribbean, nice decor, VERY GD

Apr 2003, HAL Statendam, CA-HI, good all around, VERY GD

Aug 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, E. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Sep 2003, CARNIVAL Paradise, W. Carib., non-smoking ship, EXC

Dec 2003, HAL Noordam, E. & S. Caribbean, VG

Mar 2004, HAL Volendam, W. Caribbean Wayfarer, VG

May 2004, MSC, Lirica, West Indies, GOOD

Nov 2004, HAL Prinsendam, 28-day Amazon River Explorer, VG

Feb 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, E. Caribbean, POOR

Mar 2005, CARNIVAL Glory, W.Caribbean, POOR

July 2005, CARNIVAL Miracle, W. Caribbean, EXC

COMING UP

Dec 2005 RCL Mariner of the Seas, E. Caribbean

Apr 2006 HAL Ryndam, S. Caribbean INCLUDING ARUBA!

Sep 2006 CARNIVAL Sensation, Bahamas (a short one)

Archived