Book Club on board?

emviar

There have been posts about Princess book clubs before, but has anyone had recent experience of these? Princess still posts a list of suggested books on its website but on the last cruise we did in September 2017 there was no sign of a book club and nothing in the Patter.

There have been posts about Princess book clubs before, but has anyone had recent experience of these? Princess still posts a list of suggested books on its website but on the last cruise we did in September 2017 there was no sign of a book club and nothing in the Patter.

Off the Royal yesterday and they did run book club. I picked up the book for my wife. I don't remember what the title was, something like "Into the Water" from the author of "Girl on a Train". Book club was listed in the patter.

On a recent 28 day cruise my wife did the book club. They had two different books (first half and second half of cruise). She enjoyed it quite a bit. Many people didn't care for the second book and said it wasn't "a cruise type of book" but my wife liked it and so did a number of others. It was coordinated by Kaitlyn (sp?) who was a junior assistant cruise director. She was funny and fun and be both enjoyed her a lot (although I didn't do the book club). She hosted a lot of trivia sessions and was in several game shows and skits.

Give the book club a try. You may find that you enjoy it. If it turns out to not be for you then nothing is really lost.

As you noted, there is a list on the Princess site. You could always just ask the CD staff about the book club the first day of the cruise. It "should" be listed in the Patter but you might miss the initial entry and the subsequent notices are generally just on the specific day when they meet to discuss the book or start a new book. The CD staff should be able to give you the info you need. I've always found them to be extremely approachable and friendly. After all, that's their job.

After getting my first novel published I participated in a book review and discussion of the plot with members of the roll call for two voyages we sailed on over the next year or so. On the Emerald I gave away a few pages of my original handwritten manuscript which I had actually written on the ship a couple years prior to it being published. It was a lot of fun and those who attended seemed to enjoy it. I always donate a couple copies to the ships library while onboard each cruise we take.

Raise the subject on the roll call for your voyage and see if you find interest among members.

Chris

After getting my first novel published I participated in a book review and discussion of the plot with members of the roll call for two voyages we sailed on over the next year or so. On the Emerald I gave away a few pages of my original handwritten manuscript which I had actually written on the ship a couple years prior to it being published. It was a lot of fun and those who attended seemed to enjoy it. I always donate a couple copies to the ships library while onboard each cruise we take.

Raise the subject on the roll call for your voyage and see if you find interest among members.

Chris

Chris-How nice! :cool:

Thrak - Thanks for the list. Just finished "Beneath a Scarlet Sky" that a friend recommended and it was excellent. Was looking for new reading material and will use some on the Princess list. Thanks.

As you noted, there is a list on the Princess site. You could always just ask the CD staff about the book club the first day of the cruise. It "should" be listed in the Patter but you might miss the initial entry and the subsequent notices are generally just on the specific day when they meet to discuss the book or start a new book. The CD staff should be able to give you the info you need. I've always found them to be extremely approachable and friendly. After all, that's their job.

Maybe they thought that us yokels from Western Australia don't read! ;) Seriously though thanks for the advice and I'll ask the staff.

I belong to a book club at home and I’ve joined a few on ships. But it seems like they always run out of books, don’t have very many copies, and the people that lead the book club haven’t really read the book or have discussion questions, so it’s just kind of a chat session. But I love to read ...so no waste of time for me 😵