NCL customer service?

Cruisemom39

Hmmm. Funny reading this post. I just stopped in yesterday at our local AAA travel office to pick up an NCL book. They looked at me like I was nutz and said that NCL was NOT one of their preferred cruiselines and they don't "push" cruises for them. I asked why and the agent said they have HORRIBLE customer service. She was pretty insistant about it too.

Won't stop me from cruising with them in November though.....:D I'll make up my own mind after the cruise - it'll be our first on NCL.

~Connie

Yes, I can't for my Febuary 2nd cruise to give my feedback also. I've sailed 3 other cruise lines in the last 2 years so I have something to compare it to.

I will definately make a trip review....it's the least I can do for all those great reviews I've read on this site re: NCL Dawn.

If anyone wants me to make observations about anything or search out some answers to your questions let me know. I'll post my reply when I get back.

:)

jr

'mo cruiser

NCL Dawn, Feb 2006

RCL Grandeur Sep 2005

CC Millenium Feb 2005

CCL Triumph Oct 2004

A problem with a bar bill or a service charge is one thing However...

My mom is not in the best of health and was in the hospital the Friday before we sailed (1/8). One of her drs. swaying points to agree to allow her to travel, was that I verify she could receive a CBC blood test onboard. I called guest services on Wednesday was put on hold and the representative verified yes the medical center can perform the test onboard. Well, guess what, the second day onboard we venture to the medical center to set up the test only to learn that no ,that particular blood test can not be performed onboard this particualr ship. The medical staff both the nurse and dr, were very nice and asked me the name of the person which of course I did not have, and said with the email system NCL has in place there was no reason I should have received erroneous information. Needless to say we were in a tough situation and had to visit hospitals on 2 of the islands during our cruise. The onboard reception manager, Carolyn, was sympathic but really could not do anything other than at our request at the first port she had us get off the ship first because we were worried it may take all day and we didnt want to risk missing the ship. I chose St Thomas, US Virgin Islands and Tortola British Virgin Islands figuring they would be the most advanced in the medical area and hopefully be able to perform and provide us with the results quickly. It worked out, luckily, but my mom had trip insurance and to avoid the risk of injury getting on and off the ship we may have cancelled the trip.

It was really a mistake that should not have been made. Tell me I have red carpet in my cabin and let it be green but a medical issue should not be taken so lightly.

For information purposes St. Thomas had a full scale hospital, admitting took 1.5, the test and results took only 45 minutes total.

Tortola had only a medical center, but was very efficient,we were in and out with results in hand in less than 45 minutes total.

Take Care

Dee

Dee - I'm sorry you received misleading information and had a crimp put into your onshore time. I must say, however, that if my mother was ill and needed a particular test, I would insist that my Physician made the inquiries and received the assurances needed! Unfortunately we cannot expect CSR's to have any medical knowledge at all, and they certainly are not going to understand the level of services available on individual vessels. Personally, I would have requested much more information IN WRITING, and from MEDICAL PERSONNEL onboard the ship, before I would have been satisfied with any answer. But that's just me.

I sure hope you were all able to enjoy your cruise, and that your Mother is doing well! Thanks for reporting your experience here - I have no doubt it will be helpful to others who might be in similar situations in the future!!! ;)

Unfortunately we cannot expect CSR's to have any medical knowledge at all, and they certainly are not going to understand the level of services available on individual vessels. Personally, I would have requested much more information IN WRITING, and from MEDICAL PERSONNEL onboard the ship, before I would have been satisfied with any answer. But that's just me.

Hi Dee,

I'm happy your mom is fine and all worked out well.

WaldosPepper, I agree with you, but from a personal experience with NCL, you deal with the "on-shore" personel for medical issues who in turn deal with the ship personel. I think Dee had done the appropriate steps in seeking information. It was up to the CSR to contact the medical coordinator who then contacts the ship.

I<ve been in a similar situation once, and having done those steps, there was a miscommunication and nothing was on file when I embarked the ship. Seems to have been the same thing for Dee.

Just my own personal thought on this.

When you call the NCL number they give you a guest services department for booked guests, you give them your cabin number and explain your needs, verify the capabiltiies of the particular ship and are supposed to relay accurate information to you. This was what I was told when we called, and when we were on board, both the medical center and reception said we should never have been given inaccurate information as it is very easy for the guest services representative to obtain the correct information. ship specific and actually contact the medical personnel we would be traveling with in case they have any questions for you so they can be prepared for your needs or to determine if they feel your needs can not be met. Apparently the medical center should have received our request information from guest services with our contact information when we called Wednesday prior to sailing, as they were very unhappy when we arrived and learned we were given inaccurate information. Due to the mistake the on board dr actually offered to accompany us and administer the test at the hospital if we would be more comfortable. We declined but if was obvious this was a slip up on NCL's part and he was trying to make us more at ease. I did take the representative's name but unfortunately it was written on something in the hospital and we can not find it.

I am glad everything worked out and know to ask for a better confirmation if the need arises again.

Just thought I would share the experience with others in case they may have special needs on board. In case anyone is interested they can give pregnancy tests on board.

Take Care

Deirdre

Archived