Pre cruise and Flight Home Question

kristen258

Hello!

We are cruising out of San Juan on the Adventurer of the Seas on March 10th. I am wondering what time they allow you to check in and get on the ship roughly? It doesn't leave until 8:30pm. I have never been on a cruise that leaves that late so I wasn't sure if it was around noon like other cruises I have taken.

Also as far as the flight home Royal C doesn't have any info on the website as to when I can get off the ship. It docks at 6am. Flights home to Boston have been crazy so I have been stalking them daily. Southwest currently has one that is very reasonable but it leaves at 10:15am. The next one is 12:20 but is is like $300 more. Would that be a huge risk to book that one? I would definitely do the self walk off and all that anyway. I appreciate any input

Boarding on the Adventure is like all other RCI ships- ~11am. The ship leaves late because of the huge number of flights from the mainland that arrive between noon and 4pm.

As for leaving- the fact that the 10:15 am flight is cheaper is that it is riskier to make it.

In theory, you can depart at 7:30am on your own, and be at the airport by 8:15.

In theory.

I would not suggest trying to make it, as there can be any number of possible delays that will mess your trip up.

Is there a far later flight you can try? That way you get to spend a few hours in Old San Juan.

We found the same thing last year regarding flights. Not too expensive to get the San Juan, but incredibly expensive to get home during "usual" hours. We bit the bullet and spent the $$ to go home at a regular time. I'm glad we did. We found the airport to be chaotic and poorly managed. Long lines to nowhere, etc. Plan on a little extra time at that airport. Just my experience, but just want you to be prepared.

We usually take the 1015 flight. We walk off the ship usually by 7:15 am and to the airport 30 minutes later at most. We just understand that if by chance there is a problem with the ship getting in late that we'll have to reschedule our flight home and spend another day in the warm weather. So far, it's never happened. I will continue to roll the dice. When you go to the airport that early, there are minimal lines.

We have always been able to board either RCI Jewel or Adventure by at least 11:00am.

Take the early flight..we've done a 10:30am. Off the ship around 7:00am and at SJU, through the agriculture check, airline checkin and at our departing gate before 9:00am.

We'll be sailing next out of San Juan on RCI Freedom this September...love the southern itinerary..enjoy.