10 Ships In Grand Cayman too many?

chaswelf

We were there on December 1 on the Jewel when there were also 10 ships in port. We were really concerned but it turned out fine. We had booked an excursion with Nativeway and made sure it didn't depart too soon after the Jewel's arrival. The downtown area was busy but the snorkeling worked out great. We were afraid Stingray City would be mobbed but all the boats were far enough apart that we didn't have to deal with any crowds. As for the tenders, RCCL had plenty of them going and we didn't have a wait at all. Book an excursion, don't worry about it, and have a wonderful day!

I was there in late November, and there were 7 ships in port that day. It was HORRIBLE!!!

When I say horrible, I mean the shopping. The shops were so crowded it was not worth going into any of them. The excusion was fine though (Nativeway), but the traffic back to town afterwards was again very bad! If you go on an excursion, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back with the bad trafffic.

The tendering was great. Small wait to get on one in the morning, but no wait at all in the afternoon to go back to the ship.

Have fun and stay positive!

IMHO Grand Cayman is great for a "fun day at sea". Stay on the ship when everyone else gets off. Unless you are doing an excursion, GC is no big deal. We wanted to go to a conservatory. Cab fare was $46 per person with a minimun of 4 people guaranteed. I just wanted a cab, not a monthly rental. I could never figure the popularity of this port, except for Stingray City. Downtown is a zoo with 2 ships in port and prices are about double what I would pay in New Jersey. After a few cruises, you quickly find out that you book a cruise for the ship and not the ports. Too many people cruising has ruined most of the ports.

I could never figure the popularity of this port, except for Stingray City.

I kept telling the whole family about turtles the size of Volkswagons, but they were no where to be seen at the Turtle Farm. They said the biggest they had there was only about 1/4 as large as they can grow (the 500 lb ones in the breeding tank, as opposed to the 2000lb ones). Did they all get washed out in a hurricane or something? It was disappointing.

Tracy

Hi:

DH/I were on Voyager in July and had six ships in port. Due to Hurricane Emily, many ships were rerouted from Mexico ports to Grand Cayman. The tender service to GC was fine but other than that it was a nightmare.

The town was packed with people and it was difficult to get around the main shopping area.

Getting back to the ship took us an hour from the moment we stepped on line until we walked on the ship. GC is extremely hot/humid in July and luckily we had water with us. The entire dock area was packed with passengers from six ships, no one knew where to go, the lines were so long you had to walk out in the street to get anywhere, etc. It was a nightmare.

DH/I love GC and have been to GC several times over the years. We've never seen so many ships in port until our cruise in July.

Due to our personal experience, if you want to see GC, get off the ship early and get back on early. Unless the procedures have changed since July, it's a nightmare to get back on the ship.

Whatever you choose to do.. good luck and have a great cruise!

Hi:

DH/I were on Voyager in July and had six ships in port. Due to Hurricane Emily, many ships were rerouted from Mexico ports to Grand Cayman. The tender service to GC was fine but other than that it was a nightmare.

The town was packed with people and it was difficult to get around the main shopping area.

Getting back to the ship took us an hour from the moment we stepped on line until we walked on the ship. GC is extremely hot/humid in July and luckily we had water with us. The entire dock area was packed with passengers from six ships, no one knew where to go, the lines were so long you had to walk out in the street to get anywhere, etc. It was a nightmare.

DH/I love GC and have been to GC several times over the years. We've never seen so many ships in port until our cruise in July.

Due to our personal experience, if you want to see GC, get off the ship early and get back on early. Unless the procedures have changed since July, it's a nightmare to get back on the ship.

Whatever you choose to do.. good luck and have a great cruise!

I was just there in mid December (on Jewel) with 8 ships in port, and couldn't agree more with post above concerning the crowds and hassle factor with tendering, particularly with that many ships. Be VERY careful to get back to the pier in time for the last tender!!! Traffic in Georgetown is AWFUL during rush hour, and if your caught in it while rushing to get back in time, it is a helpless feeling. (Been there, done that!)

What's happening in Cayman is that some of the Mexican ports (i.e. Cozumel) are simply a wreck after Wilma, and so the Western itineraries are porting in GC with increasing regularity. It's an overcrowded situation that is going to mess-up the appeal of this lovely island. I love Cayman, but I wouldn't want to go back there given the experience we had on Jewel, especially with that many ships in port. Take the advice of several posters...enjoy the day on the boat.

My opinion is that you should trust the list on the Cayman Port Authority website rather than crusecal, because the Port Authority is who decides which ships get to anchor there & tender in passengers!!! http://www.caymanport.com

Here is what Cayman Port schedule has listed for that week.

Jan. 23 Imagination, Inspiration, Legend of the Seas

24 Enchantment Of The Seas, Carnival Valor, Carnival Miracle, Norwegian Majesty

25 Navigator of the Seas, Star Princess, Grand Princess, Carnival Triumph,

msc opera, Norwegian Jewel

26 Rhapsody of The Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Sea Princess, Norwegian Dawn, Carnival Conquest, Holiday Dream

27 Radiance of the Seas, AIDAaura, Costa Mediterranea, Oceana

28 Costa Allegra

Here is your list of ships supposedly to be at GCM on 1/26, but after each ship's name & time in port, is the date according to Port Authority.....

Royal Caribbean Rhapsody Of The Seas 7:00 AM 4:00 PM 1/26

Carnival Cruise Lines Conquest 7:00 AM 4:00 PM 1/26

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Dawn 7:30 AM 4:00 PM 1/26

Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Jewel 8:00 AM 4:00 PM 1/25

Princess Cruises Sea Princess 8:00 AM 5:00 PM 1/26

P&O Cruises Oceana 8:00 AM 6:00 PM 1/27

Royal Caribbean Radiance Of The Seas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM 1/27

Carnival Cruise Lines Carnival Valor 9:00 AM 5:30 PM 1/24

Royal Caribbean Jewel Of The Seas 10:00 AM 6:00 PM 1/26

Princess Cruises Star Princess 12:00 PM 1/25

Yes, the govt agency could have a mistake but this agency is the one that decides who unloads & who doesn't.

We were in GC last Thursday with 8 ships in port - many of them the same ones you list. It wasn't nearly as bad as we expected BUT we tendered at the "new" tender dock and only the NCL Dawn tendered there as well. As we were coming back from our excursion, the line to the tender dock where all three RCCL ships were (Radiance, Jewel and Rhapsody), along with the Carnival Conquest, must have had 200 people in it! My major advice to you would be to get off - but get back on AT LEAST 2.5 hours or so before all aboard.

The last time I was in GC, probably 3 years ago, there were 6 ships. It was really hard to walk on the sidewalks. I'd probably wait until everyone else got off, then catch a tender, find a close spot to buy some rum cake, then go back to the ship. I personally wouldn't bother with anything other than 7-mile beach unless you just have to do some shopping in town, but I haven't been to the turtle farm. Hell wasn't much to see in my opinion.

We were there on Dec 14, 2005. 4 or 5 ships and VERY crowded. NOS was late waiting for permission. We were able to get on first tender but still missed our stingray excurtion we had booked with Soto tours. They left without 7 of us. Lesson learned about booking with private tour operators.

Then we booked with Dockside on the island but were mislead by lady selling the excursion. She stated a 50 ft boat but it was 30 and old. We would not board it and were shuttled back to the pier and refunded our $$. Next went to tourism desk but they were all in a heated discussion on where we could go to the beach. That was it for us... We shopped a little then went back to the ship. Grand Cayman is a beautiful island but one we don't care to visit again. Just the luck of the draw I guess but this is only my opinion.

Archived