OT - NYC Transit Strike Report

Jane110

In my opinion, Toussaint is a media ho and a grand stander. From everything I've read, it seems the workers were not in favor of the strike and the international union said do not strike.

Well, I've purposely been staying out of the politics of this, but I gotta jump in here when you say that Toussaint is a media ho and a grand stander.....

You're so right!!!

Jane

Now that the subway is running, I volunteer to go to the Bronx and take some off your hands. :D

Jane

(just making light of what I know is a serious situation. Good luck!)

Jane,

You may be in luck. If we can't find space available on airplanes today (and believe me, the passenger planes are full and the cargo planes are filling in for the post office, UPS and FedEx), we will try to sell any fresh produce in Hunt's Point. although most places in Hunt's Point will close by 2:00PM.

After that, our shippers will ask us to give the food to Second Harvest. Second Harvest will probably not want exotic mushrooms. If there are any left over, I will let you know. You will have to take whole cases. We will be working until noon tomorrow, but I will let you know.

Gina

Honestly, I don't find anythng wrong with making fashion judgements. Most of us do it all the time as we look at other people and comment - to ourselves, of course - about what they're wearing.

Well, this is an opinion board and I stated my opinion about the look of white gym sneakers with street clothes and winter coats. (I certainly wouldn't walk up to anyone in the street and tell them I don't like their outfit! LOL!)

Thank you for the wish that I never have foot problems. I honestly wish the same for you and everyone. However, I think you didn't didn't read the entire paragraph about how great it is that now there are so many cute, flat and comfortable shoes out there these days that people no longer have to resort to the ugly white sneakers in order to have shoes that are cushioned and comfortable. If you think that white gym sneakers are appropriate to wear in the streets of NY, then that's your judgement and opinion and like on any opinion board, we're certainly free to disagree with one another.

Additionally, I was referring to people in NYC who are wearing extra comfortable shoes because of a transit strike and have had to walk miles because of not having transportation, not people with foot problems. My guess is that people with severe foot problems may not have been able to walk no matter what kind of footwear was available.

Jane

The majority of people (that I've seen in NYC) whether they are a visitor or worker typically are "sneaker footed". I wouldn't have thought too much about it until I read your post. Interesting what we all focus on when we look at other people. ;)

The majority of people (that I've seen in NYC) whether they are a visitor or worker typically are "sneaker footed". I wouldn't have thought too much about it until I read your post. Interesting what we all focus on when we look at other people. ;)

Majority? I disagree, but my guess is if that's your observation then you're visiting places with high concentrations of tourists as well as some of the train stations (Penn & Grand Central) that bring in those who live outside the city in the suburbs.

Greatam,

Let me know. My foodie/gourmet friends with a car might jump at the chance!

Jane,

We finally got everything except two boxes of chanterelles and three crates of Israeli dates on planes at 6:20 last night. Not exactly my idea of a relaxed Christmas Eve. JFK was absolutely a zoo.

Dates went to Second Harvest and the chanterelles were split up between my drivers. Since most of them had no idea how valuable those mushrooms are, I am sure there will be some odd concoctions made with them. Can anyone say mushroom burritos?

Merry Christmas. Have a great holiday

Gina

Gina,

Sheesh! Certainly not a relaxed Xmas Eve. :mad:

Chanterelles to the drivers!!! Oh dear, I'm afraid you're right about about chanterelle burrito's. I just hope they don't end up in the garbage. I could have made an incredible risoto with them!

Well, I'm sure you won't be drinking a toast to the transit workers!

Happy Holiday's.

Jane

Majority? I disagree, but my guess is if that's your observation then you're visiting places with high concentrations of tourists as well as some of the train stations (Penn & Grand Central) that bring in those who live outside the city in the suburbs.

Good point but I don't know if that's the reason.... will have to see when we are back in NYC in February. ;)

One of my friends, who has also been substitute teaching my daughters 2nd grade class for 4 months while her regular teacher recovered from a difficult foot surgery, just got back from Christmas in New York.

They were there during the transit strike, and though things were tough, she said they still managed to have a good time. The hardest part was that they couldn't get together with thier son for a couple days. Thier hotel was in Manhattan, and thier son was in Brooklynn. Apparently, the cabs were not running from one borough to another, just with in them.

Anyway, they missed out on a few things they wanted to do, but said that once the strike was over they were able to get together with thier son and have a good time.

I hope everything is back to normal now for you and all your neighbors.

Have a great New Year.

Archived