OT - NYC Transit Strike Report

Jane110

Hi all,

As I'm sure you're probably all aware, we're in the midst of a city wide transit strike here in NYC as our subway workers and bus drivers are on an illegal strike at the the most inconvenient time of year for everyone. They are creating a financial crisis here. We've got a city full of bewildered toursts, retail sales for the biggest week of the year are plummeting, restuarant resy's are being cancelled, people in the outer boroughs are walking 2 to 3 hours and across bridges to get to work in 20+ degree temperatures. Those of us within Manhattan are being charged outrageous prices by taxi drivers to get from point A to point B. Last night, DH and I went to dinner in Tribeca with another couple and we were lucky that our friends own a car in Manhattan - otherwise taxi's would have cost us $120. round trip just to get to dinner and back home!

Our last transit strike which was 25 years ago spawned the "sneakers w/ street clothes" trend which took hold for many years and finally died over 10 years ago. Now that look is generally limited to tourists and is always an identifying image (in case we can't see the fanny pack from 3 blocks away).

Needless to say, I've been walking everywhere, even more than usual - as is everyone. The spirit of the NYC citizens is high and people aren't fighting over taxi's or being disrepectful to one another. And I'm happy to report from the Fashion Trenches that the ugly sneaker look has not resurfaced! People have learned that there actually ARE very cute and comfortable shoes that can be worn for those 3 mile hikes that aren't sneakers. Hooray! I'm seeing lots of loafers, skimmers, flat boots and plenty of us are doing our holiday schlepping in nice, comfortable 2" heels. The ugly white sneakers are still only on the clueless and fashion-challenged. It's a beauutiful sight.

For any of you who might have plans for a NY visit in the very near future and were thinking of cancelling, don't. We're going strong here, the city is lively, spirits are high and the streets are filled with people in the prettiest selection of coats, scarves and gloves of the season. The stores are having huge sales and the bars are filled with people enjoying the season.

For those of you who might drive in, if you arrive before 11:00AM, you have to have 4 people in your car to enter. But everyone is picking up hitchhikers, so it's not a problem.

We're not letting those transit workers get us down!

Jane

I feel for y'all!

But, don't hate me because I wear white sneakers :D. Actually, I keep that look confined to work days only, as it is a necessity.

I got the cutest pair of comfy shoes last night, from Nordies, but I can't find a pic online. The brand is Sofft, I now have two pair of their shoes, both slip ons. My original ones are flat, slip on in a cognac color, my new ones are black mules, leather on top with the sides being a brushed suede. These are the types of shoes I like to wear shopping or out on a casual evening.

Jane, just think, New Yorkers will have to worry about the added calories from holiday festivities this year. All the extra walking will burn off that chocolate and yummy cocktails! Maybe more people will continue to walk after it's all over, too! Ya gotta look for the positive and I'm happy to hear everyone is making the best of a bad situation.

The timing is what I think the Union was enjoying particularly out of this, but it seems the spirit of NYC carries on. My parents are in from Florida and I had given them some tickets for the theater for yesterday (purchased well before there was a strike contemplated!). Well, they used the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station and from there had a great time. It was a matinee but they stayed in town for dinner and said they had a delightful time. The city is certainly bustling this time of year, and they thought it was terrific. They waited until well after rush hour and hopped the railroad back to Long Island around 8:30 PM with ease.

So hopefully there are others who will do the same and enjoy our great city despite this union's actions. (FYI, just read that they may be going back to work in the next 24 hours - not settled, but in agreement to talk and will let them go to work while talks are on)

Enjoy your holidays!

I feel for y'all!

But, don't hate me because I wear white sneakers :D. Actually, I keep that look confined to work days only, as it is a necessity.

I got the cutest pair of comfy shoes last night, from Nordies, but I can't find a pic online. The brand is Sofft, I now have two pair of their shoes, both slip ons. My original ones are flat, slip on in a cognac color, my new ones are black mules, leather on top with the sides being a brushed suede. These are the types of shoes I like to wear shopping or out on a casual evening.

Jane, just think, New Yorkers will have to worry about the added calories from holiday festivities this year. All the extra walking will burn off that chocolate and yummy cocktails! Maybe more people will continue to walk after it's all over, too! Ya gotta look for the positive and I'm happy to hear everyone is making the best of a bad situation.

Duh, New Yorkers will not have to worry about extra calories.

Jane, I'm glad that the sneakers with nylons hasn't resurfaced. I hated that look then and can hardly stand to see it now. We love walking in NYC rarely do we fuss over transportation.

Question: Do people cop an attitude toward the workers once they do come back to work? You might think that there would be a slight resentment factor brewing in some. Just curious.

j~

I love your attitude and fortitude as well. I would hate to have my 85 year old mom up there to shop or see the shows as she isn't able to do much walking at all. This is completely unfair to so many folks. I hope they remember what goes around comes around......Happy Holidays:)

Thanks Jane. As a former NYer, I remeber the strike 25 years ago. I lived in the City and could walk to work so I wasn't affected much, but it's stuff like that that makes NYers strong tough people. A major credit as I think coming from NYC has made me capable of suriving other things in life too. NYers have a strong spirit that is not easily broken.

Good luck I hope it's over soon. I feel bad for those that need to commute on public transit to work. What needs to be known is that not everyone in the surrounding boroughs has a car. Most people in Manhattan don't and even in the surrounding boroughs not everyone has a car so it's really hard for those to get around. And for those that do, parking is very expensive and not easily had so it really is a serious hardship on many.

One good thing here is that if they did strike, they would be legislated back to work after a few days most probably.

Hate you??? Don't be ridiculous!

You work w/ children and wear clothes to work that might be ruined by paint, food, whatever. From what I know about you, I don't think you'd come to a city like NY in the dead of winter and wear a dressy coat, nice pants and a pair if white sneakers. That's the look I'm referring to. Besides, even if you did, I wouldn't hate you......I might laugh at you, but not hate you!!! LOL!!!

Cruceri-Amante,

Yes, there is a lot of anger at the transit workers. Personally, I'm one of the lucky ones as I live in midtown Manhattan and can walk most anywhere I need to go or I can afford to spend the money for a taxi if I have to. But people with children who depend on the Nannies to make it in, or the elderly who wait for their home-care workers to get to them on time to take care of them have had it rough. And of course, the retail dollars lost have made the small shops very very angry. Some people simply couldn't make it to work either on time or at all and many were docked $$ for the hours or the day.

I don't think anyone is getting on the bus and planning to punch out the driver, but I'm sure the usual "Have a nice day" or "Merry Xmas" that many of us say when we exit the bus will be a pleasantry that won't be heard for many months.

JoelMarj,

You're absolutely right. The union workers planned it this way in hopes of the mayor giving in to avoid a strike like this at this time of year. Bloomberg's tough and he wasn't giving in. Whether one agree's with the workers demands or not, the strike was an illegal one and he wasn't bowing to the pressure.

I'm just so thrilled it's over!!!!

Jane

Jane - Thats great news! Glad it's over, and the city can get back to it's normal grid-lock holiday mayhem! :D I agree, people will not be happy, but likely won't do much more than scowl at someone. I do feel a little sorry for the workers because the average guy did not want to and could not afford to go out on strike. My son has a few friends whos parents were affected by it, and they were not happy about being forced to strike while the Union guys play chicken with their jobs.

Bloomberg is very good that way - held tough and won't let the city be held hostage. Its similar to how Guiliani would have handled as well, and I had great respect for him as a mayor.

And amen to escaping the perils of sneakers-and-suits look. YUCK! It was hideous then, and forever will be!

Yay for you guys! I'm glad it's over.

Jane, I wrote that tongue in cheek, mocking the actress years ago, you remember what's-her-name, in the commercial who said "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!". I used to roll my eyes at her, I guess I didn't think she was so beautiful after all.

Along with the summer pedicure pledge (remember that?) I pledge to never wear white sneakers in New York City, if I ever get there!

Actually Governor Pataki is the boss of the MTA...

I think he kept a low profile as he is looking at the Presidency in 2008.

BTW, if you were promised a pension at your job , you might not choose to look down at these workers. None of them are looking to get rich, just to keep the benefits they were promised.

glad to hear the strike is over. Terrible time of year to put the city in grid lock. Here in Canada our national rail service may strike tomarrow:mad: . Feel terrible for those whose Christmas plans may be hindered. Living in a village sometimes has its advantages.

Actually Governor Pataki is the boss of the MTA...

I think he kept a low profile as he is looking at the Presidency in 2008.

BTW, if you were promised a pension at your job , you might not choose to look down at these workers. None of them are looking to get rich, just to keep the benefits they were promised.

Governor Pataki sure didn't keep a low profile, as far as I could see. He was on TV very frequently.

As to the pensions-you are somewhat correct. NEW employees would not get a pension until 62. Current employees would still be eligible at 55, which is the current contract. HOWEVER, union leadership wanted retirement age for current employees to be 50. That is just greed, pure and simple.

This strike shut down our company's NY office big time. I had to pull all the straight trucks back to the office in the Bronx. We were accomplishing NOTHING sitting in traffic for 4 and 5 hours at a time. We now have a warehouse full of specialty food products, destined for holiday parties all over the country. The products should have left on semi trucks by no later than Wednesday midnight to arrive at destinations in time for Christmas.

A lot of the product is now getting delivered to JFK this morning. Air Freight was NOT part of the original shipment cost. My finance people are estimating a minimum EXTRA $250,000 cost, which will come directly off our bottom line. Very little will be covered by our insurance. My Christmas bonus just got dumped. Thanks a h*** of a lot, MTA union officials. Lumps of coal to you for Christmas. And don't raise the fares to pay the fines. Those fines should come out of the officials VERY GREEDY pockets.

As you can tell, I am pretty P******.

Governor Pataki sure didn't keep a low profile, as far as I could see. He was on TV very frequently.

As to the pensions-you are somewhat correct. NEW employees would not get a pension until 62. Current employees would still be eligible at 55, which is the current contract. HOWEVER, union leadership wanted retirement age for current employees to be 50. That is just greed, pure and simple.

This strike shut down our company's NY office big time. I had to pull all the straight trucks back to the office in the Bronx. We were accomplishing NOTHING sitting in traffic for 4 and 5 hours at a time. We now have a warehouse full of specialty food products, destined for holiday parties all over the country. The products should have left on semi trucks by no later than Wednesday midnight to arrive at destinations in time for Christmas.

A lot of the product is now getting delivered to JFK this morning. Air Freight was NOT part of the original shipment cost. My finance people are estimating a minimum EXTRA $250,000 cost, which will come directly off our bottom line. Very little will be covered by our insurance. My Christmas bonus just got dumped. Thanks a h*** of a lot, MTA union officials. Lumps of coal to you for Christmas. And don't raise the fares to pay the fines. Those fines should come out of the officials VERY GREEDY pockets.

As you can tell, I am pretty P******.

And you have every right to be pissed off in my opinion. As for pension, getting pension at 50? what are they thinking. That is not just greed that is just wierd. The normal retirement age is what 62 - 65?

So from what you wrote, it wasn't a question of loosing pension it was a question of not having to work as long as other people?

That is beyond greed, why do they get to retire at 50 when the US raised the retirement age for people born after a certain year to above 65 for SS. What they put their years in, get their pension and then go work at another job at the same time, put in another 10 - 15 years at another job and collect another pension?

Unless I'm confused this really was beyond greed and I'm very sorry for your x-mas bonus, just not fair.!

Yay for you guys! I'm glad it's over.

Jane, I wrote that tongue in cheek, mocking the actress years ago, you remember what's-her-name, in the commercial who said "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!". I used to roll my eyes at her, I guess I didn't think she was so beautiful after all.

Along with the summer pedicure pledge (remember that?) I pledge to never wear white sneakers in New York City, if I ever get there!

Kathy,

I know it was tongue in cheek and no, I won't hate you because you're beautiful either!

Yes, I'm holding you to your pedicure pledge! There will be a July inspection of all 10 toes! :D

Jane

Huh?

Where in my post did I say anything to the effect that I didn't agree with the workers demands?

I purposely stayed out of the "who's right, who's wrong" part of the discussion. I only stated the facts about the strike and what it did to the residents and business's of the city.

Jane

And you have every right to be pissed off in my opinion. As for pension, getting pension at 50? what are they thinking. That is not just greed that is just wierd. The normal retirement age is what 62 - 65?

So from what you wrote, it wasn't a question of loosing pension it was a question of not having to work as long as other people?

That is beyond greed, why do they get to retire at 50 when the US raised the retirement age for people born after a certain year to above 65 for SS. What they put their years in, get their pension and then go work at another job at the same time, put in another 10 - 15 years at another job and collect another pension?

Unless I'm confused this really was beyond greed and I'm very sorry for your x-mas bonus, just not fair.!

Thanks for the post. I am trying to deal with a VERY large mess this morning. Customers are calling from all over the country wondering where their mushrooms, wine, cheeses, etc. are. We do global logisitcs planning for specialty food products and some of our customers are either high profile event planners or very well known restaurants. And then with Hanakuh falling on Christmas, our work load was doubled this year, before the strike. We deliver a LOT of kosher stuff.

The only sense I made of the 50yo retirement age-most of the people who run the busses, subways, etc., start about 21 years of age. So by the time they are 50, they have put in almost 30 years. But you are correct-they can go get another job and get another pension.

Cops and fireman in a lot of places are in the same situation. Start the job very early and retirement is after 25-30 years. One of my closest friends started with LA Sheriff's dept at 22, retired at 50 with full pension ++, now runs a security consulting firm where he is making twice what he ever made as a Detective AND he still has that nice, cushy $3900.00 per month LA retirement. Bought four rental properties in the last two years (plus the four houses he already owned) and is truly living large.

I don't blame the workers (although they could have voted against the strike). And they will loose 2 days pay for every day they were on strike. That hurts the average worker. I do heavily blame the union officials. They live large on the backs of average people. Have you ever checked out the salaries and perks for the average, upper level union official-any union? Some of the salaries rival CEO's at smaller companies. I have absolutely NO use for union officials. It truly is all about greed with them.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays (trying to be PC). I must get back to work so everyone has their favorite cheeses and champagne for the holidays. The Chanterelles and truffles are really presenting a problem this morning. LOL

Gina

I find that an incredibly judgemental thing to say. May you never have foot problems that cause you to wear ugly shoes.

Honestly, I don't find anythng wrong with making fashion judgements. Most of us do it all the time as we look at other people and comment - to ourselves, of course - about what they're wearing.

Well, this is an opinion board and I stated my opinion about the look of white gym sneakers with street clothes and winter coats. (I certainly wouldn't walk up to anyone in the street and tell them I don't like their outfit! LOL!)

Thank you for the wish that I never have foot problems. I honestly wish the same for you and everyone. However, I think you didn't didn't read the entire paragraph about how great it is that now there are so many cute, flat and comfortable shoes out there these days that people no longer have to resort to the ugly white sneakers in order to have shoes that are cushioned and comfortable. If you think that white gym sneakers are appropriate to wear in the streets of NY, then that's your judgement and opinion and like on any opinion board, we're certainly free to disagree with one another.

Additionally, I was referring to people in NYC who are wearing extra comfortable shoes because of a transit strike and have had to walk miles because of not having transportation, not people with foot problems. My guess is that people with severe foot problems may not have been able to walk no matter what kind of footwear was available.

Jane

Pataki took a hard line against Toussaint and the Union bosses in particular as did Bloomberg.

He flat out said no negotiations will happen while there is a strike.

In my opinion, Toussaint is a media ho and a grand stander. From everything I've read, it seems the workers were not in favor of the strike and the international union said do not strike.

The Chanterelles and truffles are really presenting a problem this morning. LOL

Gina

Now that the subway is running, I volunteer to go to the Bronx and take some off your hands. :D

Jane

(just making light of what I know is a serious situation. Good luck!)

Archived